When is a load "accurate" enough?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Went to the range today to test some various handloads, and things went kinda south, so I didn't get to do all the shooting/testing I wanted. But I got to thinking between target checks.........what makes a load "accurate" enough to be considered a good hunting load? I know we all want that clover leaf group at 200+ yards, but the reality is that most of our loads (handloads & factory) won't do that.......
SOoooooo..................what is considered "accurate" for hunting purposes? I've decided that anything that shoots MOA will be "good enough" for hunting, be it in North America or Africa. I do have a few handloads that will shoot smaller groups than that off the bench, but with the shortages of bullets/ammo/reloading components still going on in a lot of places, I've decided that this (MOA) would be my 'standard' in case I couldn't get the components that I needed for a particular load.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

To me it depends on how far I intend to hunt. If I shoot jackals or baboons at 400yards 1 MOA will do. If I start shooting them at 500-600 yards 1 MOA is not going to cut it. Culling at ranges to 300yards and taking only headshots 1 MOA is cutting it fine. For general hunting 1 MOA accuracy is more than enough,few folks who can shoot 1MOA off the sticks anyway.

Big bore rifles could shoot 1.5- 2 MOA and still be considered great for general hunting.

on dangerous game consider the kill zone 6 inches at 100 yards.one bullet will do 1 inch at 100,but dosent hold together that well.the bullet ill use will penetrate a buff at 100 yards,but shoots 3 moa.the buff wont know the difference in a 2 inch wider group.just my humble opinion!

It's personal and really all about confidence to me.

Three underneath a
Unknown.jpeg

The Canadian Mint decided for me by placing the Caribou on the Quarter.
If I can hit the Caribou three times, that is good enough.
I like them all touching or in the same hole at 100 yards.

Providing the bullet has enough energy to make a clean kill, it depends on the distance. I aim for less than 1/2 moa out to 500 meters. I figure that covers most plains game and some wind correction.

All of my big game hunting rifles will shoot either moa or sub moa groups at the range. The kudu in my avatar was shot at 389 yards and one shot was all that was needed.

Now for my target rifles and ground squirrel, prairie dog, rodent, and small animals rifles will all shoot sub 1/2moa groups out to 400 yards.

I hate a rifle that is not accurate or when someone says that as long as they can hit a 6" circle at 100 yards they are good to go.

This is my load with my 30-06
Hornady BTSP 180gr over 54.5gr IMR 4350. 2580 fps. It is my most accurate load at 100m and fastest. I suspect the problem with the group is me more than the gun. I am not sure how to get .5 moa over longer distances so I consider this my hunting load. Good enough? I certainly hope so!

DSC_0128.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Pheroze, sure that load is good enough, but surprised at the speed. A .308 will do that well. You have the right components there. Have you tried bumping it up some? You should be able to tack on another 200 fps to that speed unless you have a carbine barrel. You might also try other powders, R19 is good if you can find any that is. I cant! To answer the OP, I like sub MOA but will settle for less if I really like the rifle. I have rifles that shoot half inch but they are not hunting rifles.

Sestoppelman, pm sent so I don't derail this thread.

I always go back to where I started shooting with air rifle and .22 when we were shooting we never shot on paper you would put up a tin can or bottle and shoot it never chasing small groups
My dad use to tell me if you hit the can the rifle is sighted and you could go hunt

I find if you shoot on paper and you are used to shooting 1" groups and that day before the hunt you shoot 2.5" group you tend to loose confidence and over think your shot bleeding to a mistake

Sometimes I just put out a rock of about 5" size and shoot it if you hit it at 100 y your good to go for general hunting out to 300 y

Culling where you take head shots at 300 plus yes different story there you need your sub 1" groups and be dead on every time

But a 3" or less group is considered perfect for hunting medium game and up

Happy hunting

To me it depends on how far I intend to hunt. If I shoot jackals or baboons at 400yards 1 MOA will do. If I start shooting them at 500-600 yards 1 MOA is not going to cut it. Culling at ranges to 300yards and taking only headshots 1 MOA is cutting it fine. For general hunting 1 MOA accuracy is more than enough,few folks who can shoot 1MOA off the sticks anyway.

Big bore rifles could shoot 1.5- 2 MOA and still be considered great for general hunting.

Here a handload three bullet group on 100 m (little further than 100 yards ) with my Blaser K 95 in .308 ( 150gr HDB leadfree)

Hdb.jpg

Fellows,what is the meaning of MOA ?
one inch,could it be ?
I find in my dictionary only this:
MOA.jpg

Foxi

Thank you guys for your answers.
My expierence with leadfree bullets is not so big,but I feel,these could be exactlier,than the classical soft nose .
Here a further (5er)group leadfree .308
Or,otherwise, my wifes meaning: the older I become,the better I become.:whistle::whistle:
Foxi

HDB again.jpg

That's some good shooting with the '08. I have rifles that shoot only 1 moa at 100m and shoot the same moa out to 800m. I have rifles that sho0t .25 or less moa at 100m and go to hell at 300m. What your rifle shoots at 100 can have little bearing on what it shoots out to longer distances. The high b.c. VLD/Secant or Hybrid bullets do best out to the longer distances. A lot more information on bullet performance can be found in ballistician Bryan Litz's publications.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your answers.
My expierence with leadfree bullets is not so big,but I feel,these could be exactlier,than the classical soft nose .
Here a further (5er)group leadfree .308
Or,otherwise, my wifes meaning: the older I become,the better I become.:whistle::whistle:
Foxi

View attachment 46183

I define an athlete as a person that can put their body in the exact right spot at the exact right moment. Foxi, your ability to make your body do the right thing at the right time is quite accomplished. Ok, you ballistics guy can go back to FPS and weight of bullets.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg