What's your favorite plains game to hunt in Africa and why?

Mike B

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.bazarsolutions.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD), Botswana
I've been debating what I want to go hunt and spending time looking at forums, articles and such. The info seems to be out there, but spread out and I was hoping to condense it down into a single thread here. This thought process came around when I mentioned what I was looking to hunt and someone (AlphaHunter I think) said I should go for Bushbuck because they were more fun to hunt and potentially don't run away. Others say Wildebeest because it's harder to bring them down (poor mans Buff). Everyone wants a Kudu. So, what's YOUR favorite thing to hunt and WHY? Might help balance trophy fees and fun!

I s'pose if you want to list DG as well no harm in that. If this thread exists, I couldn't find it.

I always say except what Africa has to offer to you .... I enjoyed the hunt . The end results were a bonus . Warthog , Kudu , Gemsbok or Wildebeest all scream Africa !
Glen

Reactions: ack
The next one I get the opportunity to take.;)

My most memorable single hunt/stalk was for buffalo. I feel obligated to say that it was my first and thus far only DG hunt.

You are correct in that everyone wants a kudu and I will never turn down an opportunity to go after a nice one when the opportunity arises and I have yet to find a PG animal that gets my heart going quite like they do.

Eland. They are always with other herds of animals, many eyes watching. When spooked they don't stop for miles. The hunt usually lasts days and many miles walked. And, They are huge.

Out of 15 PG..... I don't think I could give an honest answer. Loved them all...... some I hated at the time.

All of them! Any hunting on African soil is great! IF I had to pick one of the game that I have personally take, it would be kudu.

Eland - with the caveat that he is hunted in the traditional way - walking him down. In a small fenced concession or over a waterhole he is simply a big target. However, Picking up a bull's track at dawn and staying with it till you close for a shot or bump him into the next country is a unique and demanding hunt. Though not as dangerous, it is not dissimilar to tracking buffalo. Simply a great hunt.

I was thrilled to finally collect an nyala. To me they are the most beautiful with their rich colored coat, verticle kudu like body striping and butterscotch colored legs and lyre shaped horns. Had mine half body mounted to display the legs.

Buy a package that gets you several large animals i.e. Kudu, Wildebeest and Gemsbok and several smaller ones i.e. Impala, Blesbok and Warthog. Then for "extra" animals take whatever Africa gives you for as much as your wallet can stand. They are all fun. Besides that, you will be going back for more.

I agree with the above gentlemen! The next one is the most exciting! However, get a package and hunt them. I have dreamed of Kudu since I was seven years old reading of Teddy Roosevelt and his son. They scream Africa to me.

Can't really pick a "favorite", enjoyed the hunts of all the PG we have done but can't say I'd be interested in doing more...now my better half would gladly chase any of them 15 times over again. Myself I would say Buff and Ele and the "why" is easy, 2018 isn't here yet;)

Man that is a tough question. Kudu, wildebeest, warthog, impala and Zebra are on most people's list.

I have to agree with most here although what drew me to Africa the first time was the Nyala. Every PG animal I have been lucky enough to harvested has been special and each hunt has had it's challenges and rewards. Good luck in your quest.

Kudu is high on my list but would also say Nyala.

What I'm running into is that it's Kudu or Nyala or bushbuck and something. I won a hunt and gemsbok and impala are included, it's short notice so I have limited funds. But it's helpful for sure to hear the WHY people like to hunt certain game. Eland might have displaced some stuff on my list... plus I figure this thread will hopefully be helpful for others down the road.

I'm with everyone, Kudu is Africa, but Nyala are a fantastic looking animal as well. So many choices! I want a spiral slam now, but just can't afford it on this hunt in Sept. I should be able to get it started!

Hehehe no end to the list!! I agree with all above. My time in Africa has been the most enjoyable of my life. I have to say a small shot at a Famous Grouse around the boma fire in the evening can't be beat.

For me- doesn't get any better than tracking a small group of dagga boy buffalo or some eland. There's also a special place in my heart for reedbuck and bushbuck hunted in their habitat, on their terms. Playing hide and seek with a really big kudu or oryx will get the heart a going. Stalking a large group of impala can be a real challenge. Waterbuck are cool and hartebeest are underrated IMO. There is just "something" about the goofy black wildebeest. And on and on...

I feel like the little guys don't get enough credit. The highlight of my last trip was harvesting my klipspringer. The two animal I am most excited about pursuing this month are steenbuck and duiker. But, no safari is complete without shooting a warthog or 4.

hartebeest are underrated IMO.

Yeah have to agree that it's hard to pick. But I have 2nd that comment. One of the funnest hunts I've been on for PG was for my wife's Red Hartebeest. We played hide and seek with a fairly large herd in October. This went on slowly over the roughly a mile and a half until we came to one of the truck paths thru the sand at Serapa. By that point we'd got a little ahead of the herd and moved to the far side so we could see the animals coming and hopefully see "the" bull we were after before it crossed. One by one, one after another crossed, waiting and watching until it was done. We stood there dumbfounded there wasn't at least one good bull to take in the herd.

And then after a few of those deflating moments, another one showed up. And then another and finally the bull we wanted started to cross. Ockert let out a whistle and stopped him and Donna subsequently popped him. Had he taken one more step brush would have covered the vitals.

Here's an idea, spiral horn slam, eland, kudu nyala and bushbuck. They will all present a different experience from their size to the different areas they inhabit. Just an idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you