What's So Great About The 400 H&H?

So I’m laying in bed this morning for some reason thinking about the 318WR.

Then I began to wonder about which 8mm does the best replication of it, and then wondered if there’s a 375 H&H wildcat necked down to 8mm.

I bet you could make a nice round by necking up the 375 to .410 I thought after that. Well what would I call it? Obviously 400 H&H, wait a minute……..

I chuckled, I hope you do too!
For any 8mm wildcats, I would look at Colonel Charles Askins writings. He had a “thing” to say the least about 8mm wildcats and used many of them in Africa.

I am picking up my 400 H&H next week. I will soon be able to say first hand what it's like!
IMG_52641.jpg
IMG_52671.jpg

So I’m laying in bed this morning for some reason thinking about the 318WR.

Then I began to wonder about which 8mm does the best replication of it, and then wondered if there’s a 375 H&H wildcat necked down to 8mm.

I bet you could make a nice round by necking up the 375 to .410 I thought after that. Well what would I call it? Obviously 400 H&H, wait a minute……..

I chuckled, I hope you do too!
@Aaron N
Yeah the 8mm rem mag is a 375 necked down and modified
Bob

Except, I have buckets of .375 H&H brass... and I tried and discarded the .416 RM years ago.
You’re talking about making a .416 rem with a .006 smaller bullet though, I don’t think you’d be satisfied with that pursuit if you didn’t like the Rem.

As said - H&H went for Nostalgia and classic looks. They nailed it. Plus makes the belt have more of a purpose, that long slope and taper.

Anyone know a source of 465 barrels..?

You’re talking about making a .416 rem with a .006 smaller bullet though, I don’t think you’d be satisfied with that pursuit if you didn’t like the Rem.

As said - H&H went for Nostalgia and classic looks. They nailed it. Plus makes the belt have more of a purpose, that long slope and taper.

Anyone know a source of 465 barrels..?
Anything that allows me to use buckets of brass already in the shop makes me happy... like the 7.62X57, .375 WSM and .358-375 Ruger that I am rocking... it doesn't have to make sense to anyone but me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynSch

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?