Nilgai hunt

That will kill any nilgai that ever walked the planet. The trick will be getting close enough to use it effectively.
I agree. The load and bullet will do the trick but pick an outfitter that will put in the time to get you close. I shot my Nilgai offhand in an oak motte at 40 yards.

I hunted the King Ranch this past mid-February with a family member for Nilgai. Both days ended up being in the high 80's temp wise (unfortunately), just how it worked out. The weather had been a bit cooler previously. My cousin got first stalk through an oak motte to an open grassy area and shot his at under 100 yards. A little behind the shoulder with a 300 grain Swift A-frame (.375 H&H Magnum) and it ended up running right at him and the guide. Another bullet straight on in the chest plus the guide's .35 Whelen with TTSX bullets dropped it within 10 feet of where they were standing.
I had multiple failed stalks over large, open areas and found that Nilgai have incredible eyesight-if you could see them, they could see you, and would run away immediately. Finally I had an opportunity as the sun was setting, after sneaking up on a group of 8 Nilgai, with 2 bulls. Shot mine broadside at 260 yards off Primos Truggersticks-would have liked an opportunity a bit closer. Calmed down and hit my bull broadside through the shoulder with a 300 grain TSX from my .375 H&H Mag, it reared up and ran with the rest and initially wasn't found until it was dark, using headlamps. It ran nearly 100 yards. I'd likely use my .375 H&H Mag again. Both of these nilgai field-dressed out to 307 lbs and 330 lbs.
An oddity was seeing waterbuck running around, I hadn't realized they were on ranches down there.
20240222_200152.jpg

@Trogon That was very useful info. Thanks for posting the field dressed weights. The places that I called are far south in Texas, and am hoping to find something a little further north. Maybe Feb is the right time, based on temps............FWB

@Trogon That was very useful info. Thanks for posting the field dressed weights. The places that I called are far south in Texas, and am hoping to find something a little further north. Maybe Feb is the right time, based on temps............FWB
I believe highs were mid 60's prior to our arrival but also a bit of rain involved. The bulls we shot were about the average size bull we saw. A couple appeared larger but poor opportunities at a shot.

I should have mentioned this in regards to where I hunted on the King Ranch. The large area west of the Norias Division (west side of Route 77) had large open fields where bulldozers were used with old anchor chain for mesquite removal. Cover seemed to be mostly mesquite of varying age. So longer shots expected (200 yards at least). Most concerning to me were US Border patrols in the same area, keeping animals on alert and skittish. Once an animal ran, everything ran out of sight.
I was told that Border Patrol were supposed to contact King Ranch before entry, not so sure that was occurring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BaileyMacl

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,