What Would Bob Nelson think of a .358x57 Round?

Frankly the idea of a Banzi-Bob is terrifying!
It's a .35 BNE (Bonsai Nelson Express)! A 7.7 Jap necked up to .35. I'm looking for a pre war 99 now. Ha! Ha! Ha!

There is another 358 Wildcat that I'd like to check out eventually. It's the 358 Grant 1.8. Apparently it's a WSSM case trimmed to 1.8 inches and blown out to 358. Basically a 35 Whelen super short mag.

Why? Well apparently Indiana had some goofy restrictions for deer hunting cartridges, 1.8 inch case and 35 cal more. 358 Grant 1.8 was and attempt to get the most velocity possible given those restrictions.

Now I don't live in Indiana but I like short powerful rifles. Someday I'd like to get a mini bolt action and make a super short/light rifle on it. Basically an updated version of the short 358 Winchester I have for hike hunts.
Try the BLR take down in 358. I love mine.

Try the BLR take down in 358. I love mine.
I already have a short 358 in a Ruger American. I strapped it to my pack for a scouting trip and forgot it was there. On this trip I had a rifle, camping gear and a packraft to explore a river. Fun time. If I'd seen a bear I could have switched to hunting mode. Eventually I'd like something even lighter for this kind of thing. Thus the interest in a wildcat that could fit in a shorter action.
20210703_192408.jpg
It definitely hits hard. A black bear hit with it died very fast. Not a huge animal but it died faster than anything shot with a 308 so far
20210610_200302.jpg

Luke, Thanks for the pics. I find the .358 hits far out of proportion of what it looks like it can do or paper ballistics! That Ruger American should be just the ticket for long distance hunting/exploring. I have only shot one and it was chambered in .223 but, it would put 3 rounds into a single hole.

The .358 Mitchell might be a necked up .303 case? I believe that’s what Bob related to me.
Actually Bob used the 8x57 cartridge and then did the Ackley Improved version. Not sure when he built his but I built one back in 71 and Ackley helped me do the chamber job. He was a long time friend of my father. He actually told me I was nuts ,actually much coarser language, and just wanted me to do the Whelen but I had a few intermediate length actions so I got my wish. I called mine the 358 HSI for Hileman Super Improved which Ackley was okay with because he had never "improved" the 8x57 case. I later blew mine out wider on the shoulder like the Brown-Whelen and I'm getting 2770fps with a stiff charge of H 4895 and it shoots lights out. I've never used 250 gr bullets except to fireform but it will sure knock an old bull Elk flat on his ass.

Actually Bob used the 8x57 cartridge and then did the Ackley Improved version. Not sure when he built his but I built one back in 71 and Ackley helped me do the chamber job. He was a long time friend of my father. He actually told me I was nuts ,actually much coarser language, and just wanted me to do the Whelen but I had a few intermediate length actions so I got my wish. I called mine the 358 HSI for Hileman Super Improved which Ackley was okay with because he had never "improved" the 8x57 case. I later blew mine out wider on the shoulder like the Brown-Whelen and I'm getting 2770fps with a stiff charge of H 4895 and it shoots lights out. I've never used 250 gr bullets except to fireform but it will sure knock an old bull Elk flat on his ass.
@Archeratlrg
Actually the 358 Mitchell Express is the 8mm Mauser ackleyed and done by Australian Ted Mitchell.
The 35 I wumped up was on a 303Epps newton improved just to see what it would look like.
Bob
20200722_110602.jpg

That's the one I wumped up on a 303Epps

I think Bob might have built his shortly after WW2? There was a shortage of components, but he managed with what he had available. Not for sure though?

I have found my 9x56 MS to perform eerily similar to my 358 win. Seems to like the 250 grain era better than 180 or 200 grain. Doesn’t like to feed the Barnes copper bullets but the old original Barnes 250 grain round nose shoot very well.

I think Bob might have built his shortly after WW2? There was a shortage of components, but he managed with what he had available. Not for sure though?
@CoElkHunter
Actually mate I did the 35/303 Epps newton just a tad before WW11 on the surplus P14 to give those pommy gits something with a bit more grunt but sadly the rejected it as it was to much recoil for the average little English man.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

There is another 358 Wildcat that I'd like to check out eventually. It's the 358 Grant 1.8. Apparently it's a WSSM case trimmed to 1.8 inches and blown out to 358. Basically a 35 Whelen super short mag.

Why? Well apparently Indiana had some goofy restrictions for deer hunting cartridges, 1.8 inch case and 35 cal more. 358 Grant 1.8 was and attempt to get the most velocity possible given those restrictions.

Now I don't live in Indiana but I like short powerful rifles. Someday I'd like to get a mini bolt action and make a super short/light rifle on it. Basically an updated version of the short 358 Winchester I have for hike hunts.

Many Midwestern states started out with a shotgun only deer rule (to limit maximum range of projectiles) and then later started allowing straight-wall cartridges .357 Magnum and up. Some of them;specifically prohibited the .444 Marlin or .45/70 due to range concerns hence the maximum case length restriction.

Last edited:
Right, but it would be a higher pressure cartridge than the original 9x57.
That one was a little underpowered to me.
Let’s say 52k CUP, or around 62k psi.

Hawk
Doesn't seen underpowered to any of the game I have shot with the ,9x56ms. They all have fallen over and come along peaceably so far. For whatever reason we continually short change the older classics by comparing them with the newest loudenboomer without actually trying them in the field on game. All they do is keep on working where it counts, in the game fields.

Doesn't seen underpowered to any of the game I have shot with the ,9x56ms. They all have fallen over and come along peaceably so far. For whatever reason we continually short change the older classics by comparing them with the newest loudenboomer without actually trying them in the field on game. All they do is keep on working where it counts, in the game fields.
Original loads worked all along. Hawk doesn’t like magnum cartridges just magnum velocity.

Original loads worked all along. Hawk doesn’t like magnum cartridges just magnum velocity.
My problem with magnum velocity is the increased amount of meat lost to bloodshot and bone splinter damage. I am a meat hunter so the less lost to shot damage the more for eating. I do not need to shoot 400 to 500 yards as I am able to stalk within 200 or less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!