What Would Bob Nelson think of a .358x57 Round?

Original loads worked all along. Hawk doesn’t like magnum cartridges just magnum velocity.

It isn’t that I like magnum velocities, just loading cartridges more to potential if using a modern strong action.

Hawk

My problem with magnum velocity is the increased amount of meat lost to bloodshot and bone splinter damage. I am a meat hunter so the less lost to shot damage the more for eating. I do not need to shoot 400 to 500 yards as I am able to stalk within 200 or less.

The majority of my game animals that were within 250 yds, if not closer.
The reason I want a little more oomph, because: #1) The terrain I have hunted, and continue to hunt, is mountainous. #2) The terrain I hunt has bears, mountain lions, and coyotes, along with deer, elk, and moose.
So when I hit something, I want a quick passing of the animal. That way I don’t have to chase it over hill, over dale. If I have to defend myself from bear, I want a cartridge that will end a possible attack extremely quick.

Hawk

It isn’t that I like magnum velocities, just loading cartridges more to potential if using a modern strong action.

Hawk
I chased that dog until I realized it was holding me back from being a better hunter. I am a marksman but not a sniper. I prefer still hunting and getting as close as I can before taking the shot.

There is another 358 Wildcat that I'd like to check out eventually. It's the 358 Grant 1.8. Apparently it's a WSSM case trimmed to 1.8 inches and blown out to 358. Basically a 35 Whelen super short mag.

Why? Well apparently Indiana had some goofy restrictions for deer hunting cartridges, 1.8 inch case and 35 cal more. 358 Grant 1.8 was and attempt to get the most velocity possible given those restrictions.

Now I don't live in Indiana but I like short powerful rifles. Someday I'd like to get a mini bolt action and make a super short/light rifle on it. Basically an updated version of the short 358 Winchester I have for hike hunts.
as long as you can get that short case to feed well with all bullet configurations, sounds interesting...

Someone remind me, as I cannot remember whether it was hydraulic shock or hydrodynamic shock that began in its' full effect at 358 die./frontal area? Perhaps one of the reasons why the 35's are so effective, even in the diminutive 35 Rem.?

Hey Bob!

I was wondering what you would think of necking up an 8mm Mauser cartridge to .358 caliber.
It wouldn’t be per se a 9x57, because I’m thinking of it being higher pressure like the .35 Whelen.
It would fall in between the .358 Win and the .35 Whelen power wise.
It would probably be a 180 gr to 225 gr shooter, but that’s enough to cover a whole slew of game animals worldwide.
I believe I could scrounge up some 9x57 reloading dies somewhere, so it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to come up with the new round.

Hawk
Bob would be willing to grant you an Indulgence for $3.58. Which I hope he will give me 37.5% of.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
I agree with you mate. Who wants a 30-06 loaded with 150s doing the old 2,700fps when you can SAFELY load the same to 3,000fps.
Not getting the best you can out of a cartridge is akin to buying a watchdog and barking yourself.
Pretty pointless
Bob.

Bob would be willing to grant you an Indulgence for $3.58. Which I hope he will give me 37.5% of.
@freefall
How bout I give you both three fiths of five eighths of stuff all apart from a good laugh and have fun in life. Life is to short not to enjoy it even with all the shit that comes with it at times.
Bob

I don't quite follow all the math, but I agree about a good laugh. The only thing the government hasn't figured out how to tax, tho they are trying to criminalize it when we laugh at them.
@freefall
Don't worry about the maths mate it's just an Australian way of saying I really don't give a shit.
Bob

Bob would be happy with me, I shot 4 out of 8 with my semi custom Rem 700 35 Whelen just a few weeks ago. Shooting 225 grain Northforks, dropped a kudu, zebra, bush buck and Impala and the longest track was about 25 yards. Really like my Whelen! However, I do have a 300 Weatherby sitting in the safe that may become a 358 STA (Whelen big brother) someday if the madness with components ever dies down.
If Bob gave you a gold star on your collar would you be happy?- lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!