What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

One that doesn't go "BEEP BEEP BEEP" when you're stalking and 25m from your ellie bull..

Seiko Automatic Diver's 200m. No batteries, runs by body movement. Rotating bezel, day and date, illuminated hands and numerals. It's my everything, everywhere, every day watch.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.20.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.20.30 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.20.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.20.32 PM.png
    986.4 KB · Views: 153
Heck, just join a "protest" and hit a jewelry store after dark.

My Tag watch that lets me time everything that comes to me.
Bhfs300

Interesting that so many people are wearing watches like Rolex (in particular), but also Omega, Breathing and other expensive watches while hunting. I'm a big fan of mechanical watches, but going to Africa with an obviously expensive watch on my wrist? Not me. My home watch is a Glashutte or something more rarefied from the sock drawer, while my go-to-Africa watch is a Timex Expedition analog with indiglo so I can easily see it when I wake up on night flights, or otherwise in the middle of the night.

I guess people are hoping that the average guy on the street (or in an airport) in Africa will figure the Rolex is a knock-off and not bother you about it!

Seiko Automatic Diver's 200m. No batteries, runs by body movement. Rotating bezel, day and date, illuminated hands and numerals. It's my everything, everywhere, every day watch.
I haven’t used a watch in years except the odd time for dress occasions. I don the wear any jewellery anyway. I rely on my mobile which can let me down.
I see nothing wrong with owning something nice, something quality. It’s not always a status symbol but an appreciation of the quality and engineering or something appeals like a nice rifle or optics. It’s why we work for. I also understand being satisfied with a $100 watch that is functional and reliable.
I stepped into the Rolex store in Hong Kong , I didn’t see anything stand out to me and I wasn’t there to spend but I appreciate the quality and would probably be drawn to something silver that does stand out like Bling anyway but something that I know is classic and reliable.
I can see Newboomer logic and if it works thats the main thing.
Not sure if I will start wearing. Watch again or if I would ever need something good.
I might when my mobile fails me at a critical point. It’s likely to happen working and travelling in the bush by myself.
Where I spend my working week is a half hour different from my home town too,
Now to google some of these watch models that people are mentioning.

70’s era Rolex Submariner - been everywhere - perfect time - never cleaned.

My other go to watch is a '70s era Rolex Sea Dweller. It just got cleaned and had an overhaul (gaskets resealed etc.). Due to Covid it has been sitting at the Rolex dealer for a month or so. I will pick it up when they open.

Funny thing is that the cost of the cleaning etc. was more than the actual purchase price of the watch in the 70s.

I have not wore my Rolex in two places. The First was Club Med Ispos village, where management made me lock up the watch when I check in. The second was Rio, and that is still only only place that I would not wear it.

Same here. I did not wear my Rolex at Rio.

Hi
Looked for a shot that might have it in a photo!
C487992C-03B4-48CA-94F0-7B07121472FE.jpeg

I hear that, but I am landing at a airport with a $4k rifle, $3k scope, $2k binos, $4k spotting scope, $2-3k in hunting clothing or gear. I mean it is far easier for them to just steal my luggage or backpack then to get a watch off my wrist. I have always been far more worried about damaging it then the people around me.

Please share a pic of the Glashutte, not many people know what those are. That is a impressive piece to own.
As requested. Sitting on the head of a lion.

IMG_0177.jpeg

I’m in the leave the daily wear watch at home camp..

I’ve got a Tag Aquaracer 2000 and a Rolex Submariner that a typically wear at home..

But when in the woods, I’ve got a $60 Casio G-Shock that I wear..

Light, functional, and indestructible.. and if for some reason I managed to kill it.. a 10 minute trip to Walmart and another $60 replaces it..

I don’t think a PH knows you flew in first class or you have a 4 or 5 digit watch on. All they care about is that you drop the animal on the first shot???

I don’t think a PH knows you flew in first class or you have a 4 or 5 digit watch on. All they care about is that you drop the animal on the first shot???

All of the above is for the person himself not for the PH. People like comfort and nice things and avail themselves according to their taste and means.

Solar powered Citizen Eco Drive. I wear it 24/7. It’s been pretty beat up and refurbished once and still works fine.

When hunting, the sun tells me all I care to know. Otherwise if wireless is available, my phone serves as an alarm clock in the morning. Otherwise I really don’t want to know.

Why are we talking about it then? Some times it is fun to have a 14 hour flight that is comfortable.
64498ABD-AA4C-459D-B109-B1B8E88AAFD9.jpeg

When hunting, the sun tells me all I care to know. Otherwise if wireless is available, my phone serves as an alarm clock in the morning. Otherwise I really don’t want to know.
Finally a like minded answer!

For the last 20 years I wore a CWC SBS Dive Watch. It needs a rebuild after I don’t know how many deployments. Over pressure tore the luminous hour hand but it kept on working. Back up is a G shock.

E1EF9B28-AE82-4FA2-BD66-82A1954F77AC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to wear an Ironman, then a similar watch when it crapped out. I’m not a pretentious person..... I’ve never owned a Rolex, doubt I ever will. IF I did I sure as hell would never in a million years wear it hunting. Why.... for the photo ops?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!