What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

I tend to go for a Citizen Skyhawk AT, or a beat up old Timex Expedition that I've had since I was a child.

Day to day I generally wear one of my mechanical watches, but they aren't used for hunting or any outdoor thing more strenuous than a swim in the sea or a hike. Too much chance of scratching them up and there's always thought of delicate mechanicals and recoil shock in the back of my mind.

Interesting that so many people are wearing watches like Rolex (in particular), but also Omega, Breathing and other expensive watches while hunting. I'm a big fan of mechanical watches, but going to Africa with an obviously expensive watch on my wrist? Not me. My home watch is a Glashutte or something more rarefied from the sock drawer, while my go-to-Africa watch is a Timex Expedition analog with indiglo so I can easily see it when I wake up on night flights, or otherwise in the middle of the night.

I guess people are hoping that the average guy on the street (or in an airport) in Africa will figure the Rolex is a knock-off and not bother you about it!

35 year old stainless Tag Heuer Professional.

Interesting that so many people are wearing watches like Rolex (in particular), but also Omega, Breathing and other expensive watches while hunting. I'm a big fan of mechanical watches, but going to Africa with an obviously expensive watch on my wrist? Not me. My home watch is a Glashutte or something more rarefied from the sock drawer, while my go-to-Africa watch is a Timex Expedition analog with indiglo so I can easily see it when I wake up on night flights, or otherwise in the middle of the night.

I guess people are hoping that the average guy on the street (or in an airport) in Africa will figure the Rolex is a knock-off and not bother you about it!

I have not wore my Rolex in two places. The First was Club Med Ispos village, where management made me lock up the watch when I check in. The second was Rio, and that is still only only place that I would not wear it.

70’s era Rolex Submariner - been everywhere - perfect time - never cleaned.

I hear that, but I am landing at a airport with a $4k rifle, $3k scope, $2k binos, $4k spotting scope, $2-3k in hunting clothing or gear. I mean it is far easier for them to just steal my luggage or backpack then to get a watch off my wrist. I have always been far more worried about damaging it then the people around me.

Please share a pic of the Glashutte, not many people know what those are. That is a impressive piece to own.

oh wow some swiss lovers on here I see. I was afraid that was going to happen..... I mean I secretly was getting you all to help me justify to myself that it is ok. But now that I am realizing that, I know this is going to be a big step for me to do lmao. My daily wearer is a Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. I absolutely love this watch. I bought a bunch of cheap straps off of amazon to give it various costume changes, and would likely use one on a hunt to prevent scratching the stainless bracelet.. Although I do wear it everyday, I was always afraid to wear it on a hunt, especially in the mountains. But I always secretly wanted too lol. I think you guys just may convince me to do it. I was debating buying a Hamilton Khaki Field which is a great watch but far less expensive so I wouldn't feel as bad. But like @spike.t this watch I can even wear if the ocean rises to 6000 ft above sea level to reach me in the mountains, plus I have another 2000ft to go above my head and I am still good. I have not figured out the breathing under water part yet, but I will be able to tell time LOL

View attachment 351591

Back in my original environment I know people who like nice watches....like nice cars....and the shooters amongst them like nice guns....and by nice I mean expensive....they appreciate the quality and engineering that makes them special....just something I noticed about the connection they had....and @Hank2211 here there are plenty of fakes....if all the Dior...Gucci...LV...Chanel etc hand bags I see when we are out were real ,then there would be $50000 worth sitting there in the bar..same with Rolex etc....I know odd one is real..but the fakes of everything are brought in from China in large amounts..and the bags and shoes are on sale in the clothes shops.....

Back in my original environment I know people who like nice watches....like nice cars....and the shooters amongst them like nice guns....and by nice I mean expensive....they appreciate the quality and engineering that makes them special....just something I noticed about the connection they had....and @Hank2211 here there are plenty of fakes....if all the Dior...Gucci...LV...Chanel etc hand bags I see when we are out were real ,then there would be $50000 worth sitting there in the bar..same with Rolex etc....I know odd one is real..but the fakes of everything are brought in from China in large amounts..and the bags and shoes are on sale in the clothes shops.....

The fakes do make me sad. Honestly, the sheer volume of people wearing tacky fake Rolexes has rather turned me off the brand (plus some truly garish models pushed by certain segments of the popular music community).

In my view a mechanical piece should be appreciated for the engineering, the quality of skilled workmanship, the design and heritage first and foremost. Rolex as a company has this, but I think that sadly, many who wear and popularize the brand wear it as a status symbol. Honestly, if it were gold, covered in diamonds and had a Rolex logo, they'd be just as happy with a cheap chinese quartz movement. That, for me, is completely against the ethos of understated apreciation for the finer things in life that a fine mechanical watch should embody.

Now Glashutte, Jaeger le Coultre, Zenith, Patek, Grand Seiko. These are classy pieces, not least because most people, those not 'in the club', wouldn't give them a second glance. Omega is known, but in the modern era it falls short of Rolex in recognition, although emphatically not in terms of quality or engineering. For me this actually makes it more desirable, not less, which I why I have a Seamaster, not a Submariner.

Al.

The fakes do make me sad. Honestly, the sheer volume of people wearing tacky fake Rolexes has rather turned me off the brand (plus some truly garish models pushed by certain segments of the popular music community).

In my view a mechanical piece should be appreciated for the engineering, the quality of skilled workmanship, the design and heritage first and foremost. Rolex as a company has this, but I think that sadly, many who wear and popularize the brand wear it as a status symbol. Honestly, if it were gold, covered in diamonds and had a Rolex logo, they'd be just as happy with a cheap chinese quartz movement. That, for me, is completely against the ethos of understated apreciation for the finer things in life that a fine mechanical watch should embody.

Now Glashutte, Jaeger le Coultre, Zenith, Patek, Grand Seiko. These are classy pieces, not least because most people, those not 'in the club', wouldn't give them a second glance. Omega is known, but in the modern era it falls short of Rolex in recognition, although emphatically not in terms of quality or engineering. For me this actually makes it more desirable, not less, which I why I have a Seamaster, not a Submariner.

Al.

I am in the same boat with you. I would sooner buy a Rolex from the 70s and 80s like some of the guys on here have. For that exact reason you know those old ones were real. Not that I care what people think because I really don't. But I too am turned off by the sheer number of fake rolex out there. Omega and IWC are the two brands I have eyeballed from a young age. I own a IWC Portofino for my suit and meetings watch. And my planet ocean is my everyday work etc. Personally the planet ocean is my all time favorite and it's built like a tank.

I normally wear mechanical watches, Breitling, IWC, Omega, but when hunting, a Wenger Swiss Army.

I have 3 Omega's...
Classic 1974 SpeedMaster MK 4.5 that belonged to my Father.
SeaMaster 42mm Planet Ocean, a gift from my wife I wear quite often.
Special edition SpeedMaster CK2998 that is essentially a safe queen.
None of which have been worn on a hunt because they are not practical IMO.

I reach for my Casio G-Shock MudMan when hunting if I take anything at all.
It's lighter, keeps great time and if I loose it, break it or it gets stolen...I don't really care all that much.

Mrs BeeMaa also has 3 Omegas that she rotates on a weekly basis.
However she also wears a Casio G-Shock hunting.

In the US, a Breitling Super Ocean (my every day watch), Breitling Aerospace Titanium (dress up watch), Movado Bold (When not wearing the Breitling SO), a Swiss Army Watch, and a few other I don't remember. :) . When I go outside the country, I take a cheap Casio watch, or nothing at all. :)

Work required me to have a cellphone in the mid to late 90's. After carrying the phone for a couple of days I jettisoned the watch as redundant.

When I go to Africa, I go on African time which requires no watch.

When hunting in America, I just use my cellphone.

One of my most favorite pieces of kit. $10 at Walgreens before a scouting trip years ago.
20200603_142019.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross