What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

IMG_3465.jpeg

@BeeMaa has been discreetly selling the Omega brand, and he is doing a pretty good job of it. I’m looking at them now with an attitude that started as “I don’t need” and now seems to be entering the “why not get one” phase.
We all know this cycle very well as rifle owners.

I wish you all would knock it off with the Railmasters. My willpower isn't great, and you guys sure aren't helping!

Here, let me help you spend some money.

$3250ish street price gray market / $4800ish AD w/discount / $5,700 AD NIB

Great luxury tool watch. Perfect size. Not too flashy. Great LUME. Strap monster.

Omega Railmaster Seamaster
Reference 220.10.40.20.01.001
Between lugs 20 mm
Lug‑to‑lug 47.0 mm
Thickness 12.7 mm
Case diameter 40 mm
Case Stainless Steel
Dial color Black
Crystal Domed scratch‑resistant sapphire crystal with anti‑reflective treatment on both sides
Screw Down Crown
Water resistance 15 bar (150 meters / 500 feet)
Total product weight 149 g (on bracelet)
Caliber Omega 8806 co-axial
Movement Type Self winding
Power reserve 55 hours
Master Chronometer
METAS certified
Antimagnetic
Rated to 15,000 gauss
NAIAD lock case back

I wish you all would knock it off with the Railmasters. My willpower isn't great, and you guys sure aren't helping!
The irony is that if you get one, you are saving money. Let me explain…

The Railmaster on the bracelet is a “do everything” watch. It perfectly at home with a suit at the office and a barbecue on the weekend. Going for a swim, no problem. Skydiving, all good. Hunting, still ticking. It will make all your other watches jealous. ;)

The upsides of this timepiece have been laid out by @0002S but the best IMO is the Master Chronometer certification which guarantees accuracy to 0 to +5 seconds per day. Mine is less than 2 seconds per day. Incredible for a mechanical watch.

The Railmaster is one of those watches that is of classic design that will never go out of style. It is tough enough for daily use and still thin enough to fit under the sleeve of a dress shirt. Classy without being ostentatious. The perfect everyday companion.

BTW - I say all this because I own a Railmaster and at the same time looking at a Semaster 300m heritage model. So maybe buying quality watches is more akin to buying quality rifles…another addiction that may not ACTUALLY save you money. But it’s fun. Best of luck resisting the pull of whatever watch you decide is right for your wrist.

BeeMaa, in your opinion if you’re able to match Quality desirability, etc. to a rifle, which is easier to liquidate. if they are as evenly matched in all aspects availability , quality, etc. Rifle or watch

BeeMaa, in your opinion if you’re able to match Quality desirability, etc. to a rifle, which is easier to liquidate. if they are as evenly matched in all aspects availability , quality, etc. Rifle or watch

Both are easy, depending on your willingness to price at or slightly below market value. just like rules their are brands you pay top dollar for and they hold their value well or appreciate in value.

In mid to upper range watches, there is always ‘drive off the lot’ depreciation when purchasing MSRP. Some brands and models more than others. Purchasing used or gray market needs to be weighted against an out of warranty service vs depreciation loss. Then weighted against the resale market.

The Railmaster, NIB gray market, is a great value, considering MSRP depreciation vs used price. This all depends on a one’s want of a tool watch that’s at home in the field as well as a dress/casual affair.

Both are easy, depending on your willingness to price at or slightly below market value. just like rules their are brands you pay top dollar for and they hold their value well or appreciate in value.

In mid to upper range watches, there is always ‘drive off the lot’ depreciation when purchasing MSRP. Some brands and models more than others. Purchasing used or gray market needs to be weighted against an out of warranty service vs depreciation loss. Then weighted against the resale market.

The Railmaster, NIB gray market, is a great value, considering MSRP depreciation vs used price. This all depends on a one’s want of a tool watch that’s at home in the field as well as a dress/casual affair.
Agreed.

One thing I will add to what @0002S said is that fine rifles don’t have much appeal beyond the hunting demographic…meaning mostly those who have right leaning politics.

Watches cross this political gap very easily along with not having the restrictions of shipping these items across the country or even the world.

The same people who would praise you for having a Rolex or Omega may have a very different opinion of you if they found out you also owned a Heym or Rigby. Not saying it’s right, but I’m sure there are AH members who have traveled in those circles.

That is probably the one place where a watch has a value edge over a rifle.

The two watches, I currently wear the most, are the Railmaster and Tudor LHD Pelagos.

They have classic styling. Are at a price point I don’t mind getting ‘use wear’ from. They are the right weight and size for my wrist. Work with 99% of what I wear. They can easily change their look with straps.

G Shock GW-M5610 (known as the ‘square’) is the only watch you ever need. Especially the only outdoor watch you need if you like simple, small and comfortable. It is solar atomic, around $100 on Amazon and proven for decades. Never change batteries, and updates atomic time every night. I love my mine so much. Waterproof, bomb proof. There is a reason most soldiers wear G Shocks.

Boderry Voyager Ti field watch (Ali Express sale ends 3/28)
$128.00 Ti band
$88.00 NATO strap

No matter where you’re at in watches, this is a STEAL at this price. Beat it up, give it as gifts to trackers/guides w/their tips. Buy multiples and stack deep, this is an amazing field watch for the price.

LINK TO GREAT FIELD WATCH

Full Ti case/band
40mm
100m WR w/screw down crown at 4
Date at 4
QD Ti bracelet w/dual lug holes (it will be a strap monster)
Sapphire crystal
Swiss Super-lumiNova C3
Seiko NH36A movement (can be serviced by anyone who services watches)

View attachment 595385
View attachment 595386
Not that I need another watch but now you have me looking at the Boderry.

Not that I need another watch but now you have me looking at the Boderry.

You can't go wrong with this. Wear it to Africa. Bring a second. Give both away, just because.

The FXD is a winner. Could be the ultimate, modern, hard-use field/dive watch. I have the regular Pelagos but sort wish I'd waited for the FXD version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacquieLon

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.