What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

Yup some are very complex and probably require some sort of degree to work them....Can't remember the exact figure he paid.... But in todays money with inflation think it would be around sterling 800,000. So he was in that league....was one of the biggest rolex collectors at one time . Loved cars as well..... Mercedes gullwing.... D type jaguar... Ferrari F40...Ferrari 288 GTO....Lamborghini miura svj.......etc.....and was a very nice person who was also big into hunting after he came to Zambia with me in 1990 I think it was.....then he started on rifles and shotguns..... :D
About 25 million in cars right there...good taste too

Who needs a watch?

I don't worry about a watch, if I can't tell the time within half an hour using the sun I should be taken out and publicly flogged.
I'm out there to hunt not worry about time. When 8m hunting the only times in interested in is when I'm hungry I eat and when it starts bgetting dark I go home.
+1 Yeah, a flashlight becomes much more important than a watch!

This thread has me thinking...and thinking isn't good.
Wife caught me looking at the Omega website for lightweight hunting watch.
She rolled her eyes and walked away.

So I'm thinking a Seamaster 300 Omega Master Co-Axial 41mm with brown leather strap would be nice.
Or maybe I should put that $$$ toward reloading...hmmmm.

So I'm thinking a Seamaster 300 Omega Master Co-Axial 41mm with brown leather strap would be nice.
Or maybe I should put that $$$ toward reloading...hmmmm.

Considering that reloading stuff is about a tenth of the cost of that watch I'd get both. If you can afford and justify the watch then the reloading stuff is a just rounding error ;) .

A Timex with the Indiglo feature. If it gets lost, stolen or scratched... no loss.

Right there with you @meigsbucks. For the price and functionality, with a velcro sport strap, I am set. I love the Indiglo light for early mornings and nights. Just never saw the need to wear anything else. I got a dresser full of Omega, Seiko, Cyma, Patek Philipe and others as my father-in-law used to always give me watches. But it is the cheap Timex 24/7/365 for all the reasons you mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right there with you @meigsbucks. For the price and functionality, with a velcro sport strap, I am set. I love the Indiglo light for early mornings and nights. Just never saw the need to wear anything else. I got a dresser full of Omega, Seiko, Cyma, Patek Philipe and others as my father-in-law used to always give me watches. But it is the cheap Timex 24/7/365 for all the reasons you mentioned.
Sell the watches and buy a gun! Ha! Ha!

That is because you haven't yet discovered the joy of owning a good one. (y) Mine has been to a lot of hard places - the worst had nothing to do with wild game hunting. A good time piece, like a good rifle doesn't quit working.

I received my first watch when I was in the fourth grade, a (original) Mickey Mouse. First day at school with it I rounded a corner and the winding pin popped out.

Had a second watch, a timex, it lasted 2 days. So much for the "it takes a licking...".
It just stopped working. I wasn't playing or "rough housing" when it just quit.

Over the years I purchased inexpensive and expensive, plain and fancy, wrist and pocket watches, some for work, some for dress, none lasted me for more than a month.

One particular moderately expensive wrist watch didn't last an hour after I purchased it. Bought it at the mini PX right before graduation from infantry school. Placed the watch, still in the box, on the shelf of my wall locker. I reached in to get something out of the lower area, (do remember what), and the box with the watch hit the floor, and broke. And yes the watch was setting well back from the edge of the top shelf,...at least I thought so.

Some people are meant to wear watches and others aren't. I'm unfortunately in the latter group.

And now that I am retired I down really care about watching a clock or needing a watch to keep pace with. Especially once I'm on a plane for Africa. Watching time on a long flight just seems the flight takes alot longer.

Last edited:
I wear a Timex 20.00 watch with a nylon band when I travel to Africa...only wear it then and has lasted on 7 trips....my son leaves his Rolex at home and wears a 30.00 something...never failed. At home.....everyday a Fitbit surge for the last 5 years. It is not a style show or trying to impress. When in Africa only your shooting ability will impress.

About 25 million in cars right there...good taste too

Yup he did...That was in late 1980s when classic car and exotic car market was booming, so less in amount in those days but were still high value.... He had some others as well but can't remember now what they were....possibly Daytona and 275gtb four cam

LOL, One can tell there's a bunch of old farts on this thread. The high end mechanical watches are going the way of antiques. Smartwatches are the evolution of wearable timekeeping.

Reactions: BWH
LOL, One can tell there's a bunch of old farts on this thread. The high end mechanical watches are going the way of antiques. Smartwatches are the evolution of wearable timekeeping.

Disagree. Smartwatches are a passing fad worn primarily by middle aged and older people who can't make the transition to just using their phone. Case in point, none of my uni friends have one, but my uncle, my father, loads of my mothers friends, plenty of my work colleagues all have their little apple watches and shout about how 'hip' they are.

It's like the Ipad. Young adults and teenagers don't buy them, middle aged women do, desperately thinking that they're 'down with the kids'.

For many people of my age (I'm 24), a watch is not really seen as a practical thing. You want the time, again, check your phone. A watch therefore is a statement, a fashion accessory. If you want to wear one in that context, a high end piece is highly appealing, whereas an apple watch is just a rubbish phone.

The brands with market share amongst my peers who bother with a watch at all are the 'fashion watch' brands like Fossil, Armani, Boss. I expect that as they gain more disposable income over time, that'll transition into more established watch bands like Rolex.

I am 34 in a few weeks and more then one luxury watch. You are right ultimately no one uses diver watches for diving anymore or racing watches for timing etc. But for me and I think most collectors. You either love watches or you don't. And if you love watches you are attracted to the craftsmanship, the history and of course the style. I don't do it for other people i couldn't give a damn. I personally just love them. And sales are higher then ever in history. Which tells you it's only growing with the next generation.

That being said... I have buddies who are hunters and they own a Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag and nothing else. For them it's "all I'll ever need". Yet we have guys on here with massive collections of very expensive guns. Multiples of the same caliber. Different rifle for different geographical areas etc. When in reality. All you need was one Remington 700 for $800. But people have a love for guns just like watches. And don't mind buying the good stuff.

Disagree. Smartwatches are a passing fad worn primarily by middle aged and older people who can't make the transition to just using their phone. Case in point, none of my uni friends have one, but my uncle, my father, loads of my mothers friends, plenty of my work colleagues all have their little apple watches and shout about how 'hip' they are.

It's like the Ipad. Young adults and teenagers don't buy them, middle aged women do, desperately thinking that they're 'down with the kids'.

For many people of my age (I'm 24), a watch is not really seen as a practical thing. You want the time, again, check your phone. A watch therefore is a statement, a fashion accessory. If you want to wear one in that context, a high end piece is highly appealing, whereas an apple watch is just a rubbish phone.

The brands with market share amongst my peers who bother with a watch at all are the 'fashion watch' brands like Fossil, Armani, Boss. I expect that as they gain more disposable income over time, that'll transition into more established watch bands like Rolex.
Young adults and teenagers don’t buy iPads because they can’t afford to travel internationally yet. ;) I find it my most essential travel necessity with long hours ahead in an airliner. I also now do probably 80% of my reading off it. At a certain age, adjustable font is not an altogether bad thing. (y)

Young adults and teenagers don’t buy iPads because they can’t afford to travel internationally yet. ;) I find it my most essential travel necessity with long hours ahead in an airliner. I also now do probably 80% of my reading off it. At a certain age, adjustable font is not an altogether bad thing. (y)

But, just use a phone?

I travel a lot for work and for pleasure, both within Europe and long haul. The idea of yet more crap to carry through airports is way, way down my agenda!

A decent phone gives you films, TV, kindle app, tickets, taxis, maps etc etc. Can't see any advantage to the ipad unless you're eyes aren't up to the phone screen!

Al.

I wear a Rolex GMT II and it has been w me on hunting trips that have taken me from boardrooms to the bush. Lately, I added an Apple Watch, too, to track steps and cardio conditioning.

This is the same old debate, form vs function is an inexpensive savage just as good as a bespoke English rifle, is cheap casio just as good as an expensive rolex? That would depend on your individual requirements for your equipment, as a young single man an expensive watch said I'm successful and have spending cash, when I was in the service I need a watch with tritium in the hands to see at night, now that I'm a happily married civilian with children and I'm closer to 60 than I am 50 I don't need those things any more. These days I need a watch to accurately tell time and a Casio G-Shock works just fine for me.

But, just use a phone?

I travel a lot for work and for pleasure, both within Europe and long haul. The idea of yet more crap to carry through airports is way, way down my agenda!

A decent phone gives you films, TV, kindle app, tickets, taxis, maps etc etc. Can't see any advantage to the ipad unless you're eyes aren't up to the phone screen!

Al.
I carry an Iphone as well. Love it. However, at your age, that teeny tiny screen has some possible utility for entertainment. At mine, less so. Nope, give me my Bose wireless headphones, Ipad, and three or four downloaded movies and books, a bit of Mozart or Warren Zevon in background, and I am good for the duration. :)

I wear a Citizen Solar Titanium bought it off of E-bay 4 years ago for 125.00

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you