What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

I mean, he is right.

You know, I was looking at double guns on H&H's website yesterday. The price they charge for those things! I'm gonna get a Baikal. Basically the same anyway.

Al.
No. They aren't.

I guess I can add watches to the normal battles that happen on here with muzzle brakes, tipping and hornady lol. But it's not what type of watch. It's if you are allowed to wear a nice one or not.

Listen, if you shoot anything over a Remington 700 or drive anything other than a Honda civic. Don't criticize those who spend money on a watch. Your point is hypocritical. Modern manufacturing even over the counter big box guns like the Remington 700 will shoot sub moa. And as far as I know a Honda civic can reach the legal speed limit anywhere in the world. With cloth seats and Armstrong windows. But almost none of you have those. As I said before if you are not a watch person you won't understand the desire to own such expensive watches. And that is totally ok. But keep in mind there are people who think your gun collection is nuts, people who think your taxidermy collection is nuts, people who think your Mercedes is for girls..... Lol sorry that last one was from me lol. To each their own.

And I agree with beema. If I can afford to buy I can afford to use it. My wife is one of those people who will buy a expensive purse or whatever items she likes. And they will for sure end up in a museum one day because they are literally untouched. She rarely uses it and stores them like the Mona Lisa. Yet I'm the opposite. I am happy to break something I spent money on. That means I got my money's worth and I used the hell out of it. My go to rifle set up costs me near $10k cad. And this thing has scratches all over it. I'm not purposely damaging my gear. But eh shit happens when your using it as often as I do. And I am totally ok with that. But that is exactly when investing in good quality gear pays off.

I guess I can add watches to the normal battles that happen on here with muzzle brakes, tipping and hornady lol. But it's not what type of watch. It's if you are allowed to wear a nice one or not.

Listen, if you shoot anything over a Remington 700 or drive anything other than a Honda civic. Don't criticize those who spend money on a watch. Your point is hypocritical. Modern manufacturing even over the counter big box guns like the Remington 700 will shoot sub moa. And as far as I know a Honda civic can reach the legal speed limit anywhere in the world. With cloth seats and Armstrong windows. But almost none of you have those. As I said before if you are not a watch person you won't understand the desire to own such expensive watches. And that is totally ok. But keep in mind there are people who think your gun collection is nuts, people who think your taxidermy collection is nuts, people who think your Mercedes is for girls..... Lol sorry that last one was from me lol. To each their own.

And I agree with beema. If I can afford to buy I can afford to use it. My wife is one of those people who will buy a expensive purse or whatever items she likes. And they will for sure end up in a museum one day because they are literally untouched. She rarely uses it and stores them like the Mona Lisa. Yet I'm the opposite. I am happy to break something I spent money on. That means I got my money's worth and I used the hell out of it. My go to rifle set up costs me near $10k cad. And this thing has scratches all over it. I'm not purposely damaging my gear. But eh shit happens when your using it as often as I do. And I am totally ok with that. But that is exactly when investing in good quality gear pays off.

Chago, I'm with you but you forgot to add safari shirts, safari hats/caps, boots/shoes and shooting sticks. The tipping thread is one of my favorites.

Chago, I'm with you but you forgot to add safari shirts, safari hats/caps, boots/shoes and shooting sticks. The tipping thread is one of my favorites.
Jesus, I almost forgot. Don't wear camo that's right. You might offend local police and military. You are only allowed to look at a picture of Roosevelt from 100 years ago and dress up just like him. High socks and all.

1969 5513 Rolex Sub. It doesn’t tell time any better than some cheapo watch, but it sure is a lot neater. I’m more likely to keep an expensive watch, so when I see it, it reminds me of the trips I’ve taken with it (Dad’s first Safari), how I got it (grandmother left money and instructions when she died, that I was to use money on a watch), the fact it was a divorce gift I got for myself, the friend I bought it from selling to me for 1/2 the going rate.... it’s not the just time this thing keeps for me.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1969 5513 Rolex Sub. It doesn’t tell time any better than some cheapo watch, but it sure is a lot neater. I’m more likely to keep an expensive watch, so when I see it, it reminds me of the trips I’ve taken with it (Dad’s first Safari), how I got it (grandmother left money and instructions when she died, that I was to use money on a watch), the fact it was a divorce gift I got for myself, the friend I bought it from selling to me for 1/2 the going rate.... it’s not the just time this thing keeps for me.

That is awesome!!!! Scratches and all!!!! Scratched watch is like a muddy truck in my eyes. Love it!!!

A watch is a watch they all tell the same time...
Is like saying a rifle is like any other rifle...they all go bang.
If you do truly believe this, you should run for cover.
And are in need of a good education on timepieces AND firearms.

BeeMaa,

I'll repost my comments from other post,....: (with modifications to the subject of this post)

Dead is dead! (Time is time)!
Does it really matter how beautiful or ugly a weapon (or time piece) is?
How much it cost?
What the name brand happens to be?

The only thing that matters to the dead is.....they are dead. The how and why is irrelevant. As hunters it should be quick and humane as possible!

On vacation, or anytime away from work, time to relax and forget the clock until it's time to get up and prepare for the day's hunt or whatever your day of relaxation incurs.

So why should anyone "....run for cover."? As long as every firearms owner knows how to operate, maintain, is able shoot accurately, and most of all practices and follows the 10 commandments of firearm safety.
The little hand is the hour hand, the big hand is the minute hand, the constantly moving hand is the second hand, and that do hickey on the side is to wind the watch on a regular basis. Or for those with digital watches with batteries, well disregard the aforementioned.

What more education on time pieces and firearms does anyone else need?

BeeMaa,

I'll repost my comments from other post,....: (with modifications to the subject of this post)

How much it cost?

The only thing that matters to the dead is.....they are dead. The how and why is irrelevant. As hunters it should be quick and humane as possible!

On vacation, or anytime away from work, time to relax and forget the clock until it's time to get up and prepare for the day's hunt or whatever your day of relaxation incurs.

So why should anyone "....run for cover."? As long as every firearms owner knows how to operate, maintain, is able shoot accurately, and most of all practices and follows the 10 commandments of firearm safety.
The little hand is the hour hand, the big hand is the minute hand, the constantly moving hand is the second hand, and that do hickey on the side is to wind the watch on a regular basis. Or for those with digital watches with batteries, well disregard the aforementioned.

Ridge, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your point of view. But I personally like nice watches, I like nice guns, I like nice glass on my guns, I like wearing good gear, I like driving a full loaded truck, I like smoking nice cigars..... Yes I am physically capable of hunting without a watch, yes I can kill everything I hunt with a Remington over a custom, yes tasco scope will work... Sorta, yes a base model truck will get me from A to B and yes smoking shitty cigars will still expedite my potential for cancer lol. And for those who like those latter options. Great, good for you. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone here is suggesting you physically can't hunt without a Rolex GMT. We are just discussing what everyone's flavour is.

Now just out of curiosity. You don't hate muzzle brakes, hornady and tipping by chance do you??? Lmao

Haven't worn a wristwatch since I retired from the military in 2010. Normally, when out and about on a daily basis I've got my phone and any number of clocks in the house or vehicles.

Traveling and hunting in Africa, I use the same phone and I do carry an inexpensive Timex Expedition, with Indiglo face, pocket watch on a lanyard in either my pants pocket or hunting vest pocket as a backup to the phone. At night, the Indiglo face puts out less light and it's color doesn't mess up my night vision like the pone does. Just works for me.

I have no problem with expensive guns, watches, cars ,trucks, or anything else. I have some expensive stuff myself.
What I dislike are the people with the "I am better than others", "look down on others", arrogant, self centered, demanding(of staff and others), stuffy, aloof, nose in the air, boasting type that think money and expensive stuff put them into a special group, above the others, when hunting.
I have run into this type before and it is not fun. Thankfully some of them cannot shoot well and that is where I(and others) get to put them in there place.

I have also hunted with people who have expensive stuff that were down to earth, good and fun. It is less about the stuff and more about the persons attitude. To be able to shoot well also helps. I have also hunted with people with less than I have and have enjoyed them that have a good attitude.

The watch or firearm does not make you. Your attitude toward others and hunting does.

The trend here is for the Casio G shock that you can get in Dubai on your way over to Africa for $100-$200 . I have a few in different colors . Their best feature is the world time function so you never need to guess what the Local time is or miss flights etc...and they can take a serious pounding. On this weekends hunt two guys had the Garmin Fenix and one had the Suunto.

BeeMaa,

How much it cost?

Ridge I am fairly certain that you are merely being a curmudgeon, but on the off chance you aren't .....

Craftsmanship and quality matter to me a great deal. After all, Old Crow will get you drunk, a trailer will shelter you, and a MRE will nourish you. I much prefer Macallan, a 2 1/2 inch New York strip, and the home we have tailored over much of the last decade. I feel the same way about my firearms, our antique furniture, and my bleeding watch. All represent craftsmanship that I truly admire. It is perfectly ok that you apparently do not. In fact, because these are issues of personal appreciation - rather like art and literature - it is not very important to me at all what anyone thinks of my particular tastes.

All anyone has done is respond to the question of what watch they wear while hunting.

I am rather surprised no one has mentioned GPS watches.

92CF7481-91BB-43D1-9434-7CBB868EA922.jpeg
I’m a watch guy too, and like my vintage rifles, I lean toward vintage watches — a Rolex Datejust 1601 and a Mido Oceanstar, both of which are older than I am.
For most hunting excursions, I wear a plastic Timex Expedition digital. It’s less sparkly or noisy than my metal watches, and it has compass and indiglo functions. But every once in a while I get “caught” wearing my Rolex instead.

With the PH, trackers, skinners, and a game scout along I do not worry about getting lost. ;)

Besides, those that tell time by the sun can probably figure out where they are.

Actually, if you have a watch (non-digital) and the sun is out you can use it as a compass. Or use the compass function on the G-Shock ;)
Not many folks out there who would still know how to use a watch as a compass. ;) First learned in Boy Scouts and then reinforced in Ranger School. (y) Those analog lads were pretty amazing fellows. I heard they even went to the moon! :Facepalm:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg