What types of African antelope can be hunted with a .338 Ultra Magnum?

Phil-338RUM

Reaction score
Good day all Hunting friends. I am in the process of buying a .338 Remington Ultra Magnum Sendero. Could anybody with experience on this rifle please help me - I have a lot of questions.

Cheers!

505ED

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC,NRA,DRSS
Hunted
North America, South America, South Africa
All of them!

Ed

Double D

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Canada, Kyrgyzstan
I can only speak from experience with the .340 wby but they prity much identical in power, if you can handle the rifle and shoot it well its great for everything. I would think nothing of hunting cape buffalo with one. If it was legal of course.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Phil , the 338 RUM is a mean rifle, and you would certainly be able to take all of the plains game with it. Most countries , as mentioned, has a minimum of the .375 for DG. If you can handle it, without it dislodging the fillings in your teeth ,it should not let you down. But a calibre in .308 or 30-06 range will do all you need it too on plains game. Some people take recoil with ease, others not.
But i'm with you, you can never have enough rifles.

Hope it turns out in your favour.

All the best,
Marius Goosen

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
It will depend on your ability to hit what you are aiming and shooting at with your new rifle. Sometimes you need to go with old reliable that you have great confidence in and know that you can make the shot. Not all shots are going to be standing broadside and 50 yards away. Sometimes you will be lucky to get a 300 yard shot at a real trophy that you made a move on for over 2 miles of tracking. You just do not want to muff the shot…

Wounded game is not the way to go. You’re PH and trackers will not be happy with you it they have to continually follow up wounded game animals.

If you have the ability to consistently make killing shots out to 300 yards then that would be the rifle for you to take.

A little test for you to try: See if you can hit a golf ball at the rifle range from 50 to 100 yards with your new rifle. Shooting from a bench and then off hand. If you are not able to do this then leave your new gun at home.

Second items are having great ammunition and reliable bullets, this will help with your process.

tim416

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
As many have already mentioned this caliber is more than adequate for any antelope on the African continent.
It is really not needed, with the eland the .338 and similar calibers are highly recommended.
I have a .338 win mag. but have only taken it to Africa on one occassion. I have found my 30-06 comfortable, I am confident with it and it has taken several species sucessfully. The key is being comfortable and confident in your rifle. Remember, if you wound it and don't find it, you still pay for it.

browningbbr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Northeast Wisconsin Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
Hunted
South Africa, Tanzania
I've had a little experience with this rifle / cartridge combination. I've worked with a friend to develop loads for his 338 RUM. After testing a number bullet/powder/seating combinations, good accuracy was only obtained with loads that were well below "maximum".

As others have said, it's also a kicking SOB. The recoil is pretty "sharp". If recoil is not a factor for you, don't worry about it. If you tend to flinch, shoot something you are comfortable with.

I gotta admit, it's a powerful firearm, but power isn't everything.

- browninbbr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorrieVar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J