What traits have you picked up from your Professional Hunter?

Tundra Tiger

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
Agree with others, on trophy set up for the success photos. I gave a lot more thought to it this during the fall after watching what Wik insisted on during my African hunt.

Also, these plants were freaking everywhere - I do not remember the name. I would see him pluck a leave and chew on it, while we would be glassing or when stalking animals. He said he'd always done it, that it was just a long-time habit and it put a little bit of flavor in his mouth. I started doing the same.
P1010941.JPG

John J

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Open the bolt and stick pinky finger into chamber to make sure rifle is clear. PH did it, my son and I started doing it and calling clear, and still do. Can't hurt to be double sure.

shootist~

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
That the underlying meaning of "Let's go Brandon" is also popular in Africa.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME

Joker12

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
We had built a brush blind by a waterhole hunting warthog. Lots of game was in and out till mid-afternoon when the wind switched and blew our scent directly to the waterhole and everything stopped coming in. Cris Lorden, the PH decided to experiment so he gathered some dry dung and built a small fire with it. The smoke covered our scent and game started coming back to the water including a very nice pig at dusk that now resides at my house in Michigan. Hecsaid he wasn't sure if it would work but had always wanted to try. I've used that deer hunting a couple of times since and it works.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
I catch myself saying ZeBRA instead of zeebra and kuda comes out different too
And I revert to Zeebra so that you guys know what I'm talking about....:unsure::LOL:

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
We had built a brush blind by a waterhole hunting warthog. Lots of game was in and out till mid-afternoon when the wind switched and blew our scent directly to the waterhole and everything stopped coming in. Cris Lorden, the PH decided to experiment so he gathered some dry dung and built a small fire with it. The smoke covered our scent and game started coming back to the water including a very nice pig at dusk that now resides at my house in Michigan. Hecsaid he wasn't sure if it would work but had always wanted to try. I've used that deer hunting a couple of times since and it works.
When we have swirling winds while sitting in the bow blinds, we make use of Zebra dung. Place them end to end, and light one side. The zebra dung smoulders, creating smoke which confuses the animals.
Its an old bowhunters trick, and it works for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
One detail that I remember learning from my PH is that sunlight glinting off a rifle barrel in the intense Namibian sunlight can spook game. That hasn't been an issue during my regular hunting back home. So I learned to carry my highly polished rifle in a way that didn't make bright flashy reflections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utelsqrcy

Latest profile posts

Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?
Defosse wrote on Kouprey's profile.
Hello Kouprey,

I'm the little little son of Louis Defosse and i'm living in Saigon VIetnam. I'm trying to find some information about ma family and i saw your post where you wrote the Defosse family. Please i'm really interested to know more and share all your information about my family. I tried to find some in Vietnam but very difficult. Please i will be happy to read you soon.

Regards,

Stéphane Defosse