What traits have you picked up from your Professional Hunter?

Agree with others, on trophy set up for the success photos. I gave a lot more thought to it this during the fall after watching what Wik insisted on during my African hunt.

Also, these plants were freaking everywhere - I do not remember the name. I would see him pluck a leave and chew on it, while we would be glassing or when stalking animals. He said he'd always done it, that it was just a long-time habit and it put a little bit of flavor in his mouth. I started doing the same.
P1010941.JPG

Open the bolt and stick pinky finger into chamber to make sure rifle is clear. PH did it, my son and I started doing it and calling clear, and still do. Can't hurt to be double sure.

That the underlying meaning of "Let's go Brandon" is also popular in Africa.

We had built a brush blind by a waterhole hunting warthog. Lots of game was in and out till mid-afternoon when the wind switched and blew our scent directly to the waterhole and everything stopped coming in. Cris Lorden, the PH decided to experiment so he gathered some dry dung and built a small fire with it. The smoke covered our scent and game started coming back to the water including a very nice pig at dusk that now resides at my house in Michigan. Hecsaid he wasn't sure if it would work but had always wanted to try. I've used that deer hunting a couple of times since and it works.

I catch myself saying ZeBRA instead of zeebra and kuda comes out different too
And I revert to Zeebra so that you guys know what I'm talking about....:unsure::LOL:

We had built a brush blind by a waterhole hunting warthog. Lots of game was in and out till mid-afternoon when the wind switched and blew our scent directly to the waterhole and everything stopped coming in. Cris Lorden, the PH decided to experiment so he gathered some dry dung and built a small fire with it. The smoke covered our scent and game started coming back to the water including a very nice pig at dusk that now resides at my house in Michigan. Hecsaid he wasn't sure if it would work but had always wanted to try. I've used that deer hunting a couple of times since and it works.
When we have swirling winds while sitting in the bow blinds, we make use of Zebra dung. Place them end to end, and light one side. The zebra dung smoulders, creating smoke which confuses the animals.
Its an old bowhunters trick, and it works for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
One detail that I remember learning from my PH is that sunlight glinting off a rifle barrel in the intense Namibian sunlight can spook game. That hasn't been an issue during my regular hunting back home. So I learned to carry my highly polished rifle in a way that didn't make bright flashy reflections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg