What to do with a giraffe

View attachment 371587

Sitting in the Windhoek airport heading back home today. Thanks for all the ideas about giraffe. Took this one with my double. Will write up a report shortly.

Very nice animal. Congrats!

I for one am looking forward to reading your report.

We had our taxidermist use her imagination, turned out awesome!

6B92B2B2-BD12-4399-8664-A1DB631634D7.jpeg
6F25B4BC-D1CC-4C86-A892-9F9D5396255A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I done with my giraffe so far. I still haven't figured out what I want to do with the other stuff. Once I have the other stuff done I'll upload them photos as well. Just don't buy a house just to house a giraffe mount like I did

PS I haven't remodeled the trophy room yet so don't mind the pink flower wallpaper.

126329314_242312147292120_5536969260473996030_n.jpg
123537059_1965967166876530_1813799939394601110_o.jpg

There are plenty of people that would say the same about any and everything you've taken in the name of hunting. However, the majority of those people have likely never been exposed to hunting, understand hunting, or even want to understand hunting.
I'm a bit more than shocked that a member of this forum might have that frame of mind.

"That's all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump
I think I get what they’re trying to say. The OP didn’t know what to do with a giraffe, and the responses amounted to, “If you don’t know what you want to do with it, why would you hunt it?” I don’t take it as an anti-hunting response, but more of a practical response. I wouldn’t know what to do with a giraffe either. But I knew I wanted a bear rug, so I went on a bear hunt.

I’m quite surprised by some anti giraffe hunting posts here. I thought as hunters we all understood that harvesting a trophy means a lot more than that. Species survival, funds to the local community etc. Almost sounds like anti hunting rhetoric.

I’m quite surprised by some anti giraffe hunting posts here. I thought as hunters we all understood that harvesting a trophy means a lot more than that. Species survival, funds to the local community etc. Almost sounds like anti hunting rhetoric.
I've been saying for years it won't be anti hunters that put an end to hunting it will be hunters against hunters

I think I get what they’re trying to say. The OP didn’t know what to do with a giraffe, and the responses amounted to, “If you don’t know what you want to do with it, why would you hunt it?” I don’t take it as an anti-hunting response, but more of a practical response. I wouldn’t know what to do with a giraffe either. But I knew I wanted a bear rug, so I went on a bear hunt.
Thank you for your input. However, OP stated he didn’t consider giraffe to be game... on a post where original OP simply asked for ideas for after a successful legal hunt. Original OP wasn’t asking opinions on whether or not people regarded giraffe as game. Big difference.

This is my giraffe ot should be in the states next week finally. We worked it to where it is only 7ft 10 tall (being military you never know where you will go so better be safe than sorry)

IMG-20190405-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20190405-WA0004.jpg

This is my giraffe ot should be in the states next week finally. We worked it to where it is only 7ft 10 tall (being military you never know where you will go so better be safe than sorry)
Nice mount. Side note: Very nice nyala

Very classily done. Love it!

I am contemplating taking a giraffe during my planned 2021 safari. My problem is space - or lack of it - in my home for a shoulder mount. I am considering a European mount, but there will still be a lot of hide, bones, etc. left, which I do not wish to waste.

Can anyone provide me with ideas on how to utilize giraffe hide, bones and other parts? I have heard of the legs being used to make lamps, but have never seen any. Any information y'all can provide
So I am in the same boat and have been looking up all the options myself. I want to use everything I can from the Giraffe I plan to hopefully harvest in 2021 or 2022. These are a couple pictures of pedestal shoulder mounts that would fit easily with low ceilings. Ive also seen one with the neck mounted up high and its looking down.

Screenshot_20200412-155535_Facebook.jpg
image-asset.jpeg
FB_IMG_1603336739618.jpg

View attachment 371587

Sitting in the Windhoek airport heading back home today. Thanks for all the ideas about giraffe. Took this one with my double. Will write up a report shortly.
Beautiful colored giraffe, congrats! If I take one it will be with either my double or my heavy bow...but the wife is up first so I'll have to save a while after that taxidermy bill haha

Have culled a few ....tricky animal to hunt ...I love them ....smack them with 416 rigby solid and they don't go far ......virtually military planning as where to take them to facilitate recovery ....if not a stink bull meat I found to be surprisingly tender only took the front leg bones for knife handles...

Hope to cull some more in 2022

I thought I read that you cannot bring Giraffe into the USA now, the govt put a ban on imports.am I right or wrong as I would like to bring a few leg bones back for pistol grips and a couple of bone carvings would be great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg