What to do with a giraffe

Your reference to Potjie suggests you're South African Boer? The amazing thing the Voortrekkers knew, and the Indians knew, is that marrow is the nectar of the gods. Rendering down bone-in meats for hours in a stew releases all the buttery marrow and all the collagen breaks down to make a rich, delicious dish. As Americans, me and my bretheren are not immersed in a culture that even sells these "off-cuts" of meat that create these delicious meals. Trying to do such fine cooking with a sirloin, strip steak, or even a pot roast is so much inferior to using a tougher, more durable cut with more bone and fat in the braising liquids.

For all my slander against giraffe meat compared to every other game animal I've consumed in Africa, it might very well be better than good in the right potjie rendered down all day. It's just once you've had bushbuck, eland, kudu, and buffalo marrow or ossa bucco the idea of settling for giraffe is a painful sacrifice.

P.S. - @Firebird The waterbuck I ate from the Zambezi valley was one of the finest week of meals I have had anywhere in the world for any price. Did I get lucky, or is the negative reputation of waterbuck unfounded? I found it exquisite.
I was told by my PH that Waterbuck meat is very good if you take great care not to let the hair contaminate it. As to giraffe, the ol 'stink' bull I shot was turned into sausage etc.

Hi All,
Considering the outcry that my intervention sparked, I will try to provide an answer on my vision of the hunt to those who have had questions (especially @rookhawk).
First of all, my intention was not to hurt or offend anyone on the Forum, just give my opinion as anyone can here even if this advice does not go the way some would like whether . It is true that my intervention was rather concise and laconic and it could be interpreted as an attack on the author of the post @arizonajake. This was not the case . If this was taken as such, I apologize.
I was born in Africa (West Africa) and I still live there at almost 60 years old (Central Africa), I have been hunting since I was 8, birds first and first big game at 13, mixing here in Gabon hunting, spearfishing and big game fishing.
I consider that big game hunting should be practiced on foot by going up a track taken in the morning, or by meeting (as is often the case here in the forest).
Hunting for me must be practiced on:
1: dangerous animals (big cats, buffaloes, elephants) for the adrenaline it brings.
2: animals whose trophy is measurable (by points or by inch) and comparable to other previous animals hunted by other hunters or by oneself (always larger).
3: the hunting of birds involving those authorized and respecting the quantity of animals killed that nature can withstand (ethical and reasonable hunting)
4: suidae remaining to the appreciation of each (I like pig hunting) and respecting the rules enacted on the territory where we hunt.

I don't practice hunting our cousins whoever they are

Afterwards everyone is free to do as they want, it's just my way of seeing the hunt and I respect these other choices.

Philippe

I wait the storm .....

Ps: Sorry if my English seems bad, I am French and for this answer I used Google Translate.
Phillipe, although I did not read all replies on this thread, I doubt anyone is offended, but rather surprised. Personally, I have no interest in shooting a rhino, not much in shooting a hippo unless it was causing a problem, no interest in whales, primates (with the exception of a large male baboon, got a score to settle) and although I wouldn't mind taking ONE elephant, I would most likely feel bad about it. I also have no interest in shooting small antelope. To travel half way around the world to shoot something the size of a small dog just does not interest me. Maybe to eat, but I am sure I could find something just as tasty for waaaay less money.

I loved waterbuck and most people say it isn’t worth eating. . . So I googled “best giraffe mounts” and you won’t be surprised to know that most of the pix I liked originated on this very site. Loved the twisted neck mount although want to fix the habitat and the drinking one still a personal favorite. Also be careful when you google “giraffe mounts” as apparently people take lots of pix of giraffes mating. . . Proximo lived in the wrong day and age!
Also many fine examples of skin, skull and bone work-View attachment 366909View attachment 366910View attachment 366911View attachment 366912View attachment 366913
Nice Gladiator reference lol

I ate giraffe and it was excellent so I think age and condition might play a large part in whether it's good or tough and strong.

You are never going to have that much meat running around and not have people who will want to eat it.I took one back in the early 90’s for 400.00 dollars.In the low veld before land reform giraffe were common.On Nuenets,we saw herds of 60-120 animals.A few people paying to shoot a few giraffes is not only not the problem,it is the solution for their very survival.

You are never going to have that much meat running around and not have people who will want to eat it.I took one back in the early 90’s for 400.00 dollars.In the low veld before land reform giraffe were common.On Nuenets,we saw herds of 60-120 animals.A few people paying to shoot a few giraffes is not only not the problem,it is the solution for their very survival.
Well said, spot on!

@Firebird it seems like we used the same outfitter. I went for a cull hunt as I just wanted the experience not the trophies. I have pictures and memories.

I saw the boys take the intestine etc from my Kudu that they carried out of the bush. I thought it was for the shop but maybe they were cooking it for themselves. I vaguely recall they cut it fine and make a stew.

The caul fat thing I must look at. My wife is a chef and we don’t hunt much meat I mostly shoot pests.

I plan to get some goat soon and test out my Von Gruff knife.

As for shooting Giraffe I had friends say before I went ohh, don’t shoot a Giraffe. They are not anit’s but they caught the story of the young girl who shot one etc.

Each to their own, it’s just part of the industry there.

My daughter would hate for me to shoot a Giraffe as she likes them and I can relate to that.

If it’s was a mercy killing then I can also live with that. I would hunt it to put it out of its misery or to provide food or cull an old Bull. It’s another hunting experience but it’s not game I’m going to pursue otherwise.

Last year in Botswana my hunting partner shot a giraffe. The PH was thrilled about having 1500 lbs of meat to take to the arbittoir. He also sold hide, skull and leg bones. Nothing goes to waste in Africa.

A floor pedestal is a good idea if you are wanting a shoulder mount but don’t have the wall space. If not a euro. The hide can be made into one enormous rug or broke down and made into a smaller rug. The scraps can be used to make pillows and upholster furniture and make bags, gun cases, etc. the bones can be scrimshawed, made into lamps, and anything else one would want. The sky is the limit really. I’d be glad to help you if you’d like.

What to do with a giraffe..................
let live, how about that ?
Foxi, I’m sorry buddy but this is completely out of line. It’s one thing if you wanted to start a thread on why you don’t want to hunt giraffe, but another entirely to post that on this thread. If you don’t like giraffe hunting fine It’s your right, but it’s incredibly rude to bash someone else for it on a forum about hunting Africa. Giraffe hunting is completely legal and an important conservation tool. That is a fact. If you don’t like it so be it but..... don’t bash a member who does and is doing nothing wrong.

I've often wondered how many giraffe have to be culled. I have heard the old bulls who are sterile often kept the young bulls away. So you have to get rid of him to have any little giraffes. Post a picture of a dead one on Facebook. It really makes some people mad even hunters. I've even been called un american because I spend money hunting in foreign countries. Sometimes hunters are their worst enemy.

I've often wondered how many giraffe have to be culled. I have heard the old bulls who are sterile often kept the young bulls away. So you have to get rid of him to have any little giraffes. Post a picture of a dead one on Facebook. It really makes some people mad even hunters. I've even been called un american because I spend money hunting in foreign countries. Sometimes hunters are their worst enemy.
Agree, hunters are the worst about cutting their nose off in spite of their face. I get so tired of people trying to impose their beliefs on others. It’s gets us nowhere and we actually loose ground because it allows the anti’s to use us against each other.

They live to an old age. We take animals that are near the end of their life cycle and the fees we pay guarantee their survival. Legal, regulated hunting benefits wildlife. Emotions do not. How about that?
If left unchecked in particular locales, they, like elephant, can deplete an entire forested area. Quite a feat sneaking up close to these ultra-observant 3,500 lb beasts! They have ruined many a stalk on other game with their watchtower of senses...Due to the above, this one was culled on the cheap at Lemco, during its transition into what is now the BVC. This old boy had as many ticks as hairs left!

ZimbabweLemco20070726 034.jpg
ZimbabweLemco20070726 010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My giraffe encounters were quite easy, as they were curious as to what we were doing and would have closer, under 70 yards when I made a shot an impala.

The giraffe just moved off about 200 yards, stood and watched us for a few minutes before wandering off.

Guess I really should add these were 2 juvenile giraffes.

But then again, I wasn't hunting giraffe. I guess they may have been a little jealous and just wanted our attention. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My wife on our first trip to Namibia decided she wanted to shoot Giraffe. Thought she was a little crazy wanting to shoot such a beast on our first hunt. Turned out that was one of the highlights of the trip !
There was nothing left on the ground when we left but a pile of contents from the stomach. Everything else was taken and used. big ole stinky beast it was too !
Besides it was worth it just for the photo ! They set it up just right and we got everyone in the photo including the Himbas ! I have never seen a photo done like this one but everyone should set Giraffe like this for a photo. The mount is done in a floor ped with a tree. That was 10 years ago and we still talk about that day.
IMG_0287.JPG
DSC00137.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0188.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 215
My wife on our first trip to Namibia decided she wanted to shoot Giraffe. Thought she was a little crazy wanting to shoot such a beast on our first hunt. Turned out that was one of the highlights of the trip !
There was nothing left on the ground when we left but a pile of contents from the stomach. Everything else was taken and used. big ole stinky beast it was too !
Besides it was worth it just for the photo ! They set it up just right and we got everyone in the photo including the Himbas ! I have never seen a photo done like this one but everyone should set Giraffe like this for a photo. The mount is done in a floor ped with a tree. That was 10 years ago and we still talk about that day.View attachment 368685View attachment 368688

Now that is an awesome mount!
Did you have the taxidermy done in the US or in Africa?
How tall is the mount? I would like to get a giraffe and have it mounted similar to yours.

It was mounted in the USA. It's a hair over 12 feet tall.

For lower ceilings a mid neck mount will work. The bone is highly prized for knife handles. Mounted lower legs/feet can be used for table legs. The hide can be used just like any other leather. I am making a gun slip made for my double from part of my hair on hide.
also pistol grips are getting popular due to issues with ivory

I am contemplating taking a giraffe during my planned 2021 safari. My problem is space - or lack of it - in my home for a shoulder mount. I am considering a European mount, but there will still be a lot of hide, bones, etc. left, which I do not wish to waste.

Can anyone provide me with ideas on how to utilize giraffe hide, bones and other parts? I have heard of the legs being used to make lamps, but have never seen any. Any information y'all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Jake
I have taken two giraffe. I do have a shoulder mount as I am fortunate to have a trophy room to accommodate it. Recently I’ve had a European mount and a very nice ottoman made from the hide. What to do with the rest of the skin?
Dick Murray Custom Leather will make you some nice gun cases. Sky’s the limit!
Philip

IMG_4291.JPG

Sitting in the Windhoek airport heading back home today. Thanks for all the ideas about giraffe. Took this one with my double. Will write up a report shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg