AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe, Canada USA
I'm starting to think a crocodile hunt someday would be fun. However, I can't think of anything I would want to do with it after taking pictures. Do you all usually have some taxidermy or Leatherwork done with yours? Or is it acceptable to just do the hunt take picturse and that's it?

Parts of them are good to eat. Check with the Crocodilian Inn in RSA for a trial steak and recipe.

A euroed skull would make for a good conversation piece

The Skull is a awesome trophy & cheapest to take & display, full & half mounts are fantastic but cost a heap to have done & room for them .

You will not be eating a full grown trophy Croc, even our guys don't eat them & most animals don't either for some reason, we had two carcasses at out Vulture Restaurant for weeks that only the buggs eat & one or two time's I saw Ratel eat them or the bugs/grubs off them !

I have the Skulls of 12ft - 14.5ft Estuarine Crocs & 7.5ft Johnson Crocs, the 14.5footer is much more massive than the 12footer, unfortunately my 5m/16ft Nile Croc when to the bottom of the River when I shot him off a farmers prized Cow, very sad for me !

Last edited:
I’m looking at a Croc hunt on Cahora Baso right now. I have lived in Africa,I’m not eating a croc.When I die,who wants my mounts. Short answer nobody but Joe’s bar in SE Missouri. I want to keep hunting Africa but I’m not stuffing anything except A Nyala that big Kudu oh yea that sweet 16 inch Chobe Bushbuck. I’m taking the skull and calling it a day!

there was several really nice mounts of croc shown on this forum. Try to make search, maybe will get some ideas.

@Buff-Buster has an awesome croc mount! I’m hoping to be like Wes when I grow up, wonderful trophy room!

Great call on the skull/euro, I could definitely see doing that mounted above a nice photo.Thanks for the input guys, I'm adding crocodile to my someday wish list.

Very few will have the space for a fullmount. It is a difficult decision.
I find majority of my hunters who hunt croc go with a Skull mount, and flatskin, or turn the croc into leather.

Skull mount would be my choice, If possible gift the skin with your PH for another animal of value to hunt, if possible?

Waiting to hopefully get a photo of the croc mount from a friend I took to Tanzania long time ago to do a hunt...shot a 16ft 4 inch croc in the ugalla river....how he has it mounted requires a big ceiling space....

That's a nice croc to have, they just get so much bigger all over with each foot in length, breaks my heart mines on the bottom !

Skull mount is classy. Looks good in a library or study. Doesn't have to be a monster either. If you want to do leather, especially a belly skin make sure they cut down the side or even the back. When I do my croc I will be happy with a 10 to 12 footer to get a good quality skin for a furniture piece.

dnpk03rp37861.jpg

Croc is on this summers hunt. I have been thinking lots about what to do with it. I think smaller and closer to 12' will fit room better than should be easier to find. I decided on a flat rug, I really want to use a replica head on rug and have real skull displayed. Any mounting options seam costly. Dip and Pack companies mentioned they need big crate as its hard to fold/roll full skins?

After a visit to the croc farm in Vic falls we did enjoy a fishy white meat steak and glass of wine at Vic Falls Hotel. Tasted OK.

MB

I took a pretty good croc in the Ugalla River many years ago. Awkward to find a place to display it. Finally put it at an angle attached to a wall along a staircase going to the second floor guest room. Took a visitor some time to get used to the monster lurking along the banister while walking up to a strange room at night.
B945C3ED-A860-48DC-AA19-7CBA112299B9.jpeg

They look awesome but wall, floor space? Up a staircase would be good. But got this place to grow old in, no stairs.

MB

I’ll chime in being from Louisiana, though not taken anything over 10ft. Head mount on a table. Boots belts, wallets, and a purse for wife . Rifle slings too.
I did a lifesize of a small 5ft because of space and not wanting it to be overbearing. Skull mount is ok, but a table top is beautiful (see pic). All meat is delicious, though I haven’t tried crocodile, but the tail meat is pure white on alligators and very mild. If nothing else you can get the hide tanned from a commercial tannery in the US and lay it on the floor. Hope this helps someone.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg