What to do with a Croc?

I love all the info, suggestions and stories on this, thank you all and keep it coming! Another question- I realize this would need to be a very precise shot, is there a minimum caliber recommendation? I am comfortable in my ability to hut vitals with a rest out to 300 yards on plainsfsme with my .300 WM. But am much more precise with my .308.
Wipartimer, listen to your PH he knows his strategy and territory. I would be surprised if your shot will be over 80 yards if the croc hunt is planned. Personally i would be comfortable with a 308 even tho most of my hunting these days is with a 300 Win Mag. Make sure you use a well made penetrating bullet of high quality, like a Swift A Frame or a Barnes TSX that your rifle shoots precisely. I like heavy for caliber bullets. You wont be shooting unless it is a brain shot. Listen to your PH, he is the boss. By the way I have taken a couple smaller crocs with an 06.

Wipartimer, just an FYI, I used my 375 H&H because it is what I take to Africa. I did work up my most accurate load for this hunt which was a 250 Barnes TTSX. Using CFE223 I can consistently put 3 rounds into 1/2” at 100 m. My PH said if I wanted the skull to shoot 3-4” behind the smile. He also said then immediately shoot the front shoulders, then the hind leg pelvic. I did, but the first shot behind the smile was enough. It just happened so fast that my PH didn’t stop me from shooting the last two shots.

The first shot is really the only one that counts. Mine was sunning pointing at the water and with his nose only a foot or so from the water. 90 yard shot.
There is a picture before the shot on my report where you can actually see over my shoulder as I was making the shot.

Charles Waterton, a famed Victorian explorer, 'rode' a cayman by getting on its back and twisting the front legs over its back. He said that he was able to keep his seat because he had previously ridden to hounds with Lord Darlington. You can read his account here:

https://overtown.org.uk/cw/Charles_Waterton/wanderings-3-4.htm#encounter

at chapter 4, pages 5 and 6.

Ian Nyschens, in 'Months of the Sun', suggests shooting the fore-leg in order to immobilise the crocodile; it is then easy to approach and finish off.

@wipartimer
Come to SC - I can get you on an alligator that tastes, I'm sure, better, and we're not allowed to shoot ours at a distance - we have to wrangle and subdue them at boatside before we're allowed to finish them off with a pistol or knife...

50393615716_d818b3b199_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the mounts I did with the alligators I killed. I'll post the other picture later on. I'll do the same the day I shoot a Crock. :)

alli.jpg

Just an FYI, but taxidermists have told me the skin cannot be removed from the skull without destroying the skin, so a head, full body, or shoulder mount has to have the original skull. Example: on mine I have a skull and the skin from some point behind the skull to the tip of the tail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross