What rifle gives you 'The Fizz'?

As the Whelen is a 30-06 case wildcat, a reasonably weighty 30-06 rifle would appear to be the easiest conversion to .358. Thanks again.

As you may know, the .35W was once called "the poor man's magnum."

If a hunter or homesteader of modest means living in, say, Alaska, wanted to step up in power from his .30-06, of which there were many affordable surplus 1903s in circulation, he could have it rebarreled to .35W.

The .35W cartridge would fit and function in the 1903 action, same as the '06 round. And the 1903, especially in 'sporter' configuration, was already a pretty light, trim rifle.

That was a far, far less expensive conversion on an existing rifle than trying to obtain a commercial or custom traditional magnum, like a 300- or .375 H&H rifle.

The real genius of having necked-up the '06 cartridge to .35-cal, is that the resulting .35W kills out of all proportion to its 'paper ballistics.'

That hard-hitting, terminal virtue is something gun-scribe John Barness has praised more than once of nearly all the .35-cal class of cartridges in the pages of the Rifle and Handloader magazines.

Last edited:
Grandpas 99 Savage in .308 he bought new. Gave it to my son but I’m still the caretaker.
I will be inheriting my Dad’s 99 Savage in .308 in the not too distant future. He bought it new in 1965. I didn’t come along until 1969, so I have known that rifle for my entire life. Once I have it I will keep it until I die so that will be a cradle to grave relationship!

As you may know, the .35W was once called "the poor man's magnum."

If a hunter or homesteader of modest means living in, say, Alaska, wanted to step up in power from his .30-06, of which there were many affordable surplus 1903s in circulation, he could have it rebarreled to .35W.

The .35W cartridge would fit and function in the 1903 action, same as the '06 round. And the 1903, especially in 'sporter' configuration, was already a pretty light, trim rifle.

That was a far, far less expensive conversion on an existing rifle than trying to obtain a commercial or custom traditional magnum, like a 300- or .375 H&H rifle.

The real genius of having necked-up the '06 cartridge to .35-cal, is that the resulting .35W kills out of all proportion to its 'paper ballistics.'

That hard-hitting, terminal virtue is something gun-scribe John Barness has praised more than once of nearly all the .35-cal class of cartridges in the pages of the Rifle and Handloader magazines.
Thanks for the info on the rifles Jack. There is a great address containing a huge amount of info on the 35W
Interesting comment on Hawk's bullets for this caliber,
I picked our their 300gr round tip as a good bullet for the .404J.

My Lon Paul .505 Gibbs on a Granite Mountain action with Smithson scope mount and receiver sight.

LonPaul505001_zpsfa18edab.jpg
LonPaul505004_zpsb10e2b75.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Barrett M99, especially if a ban comes into play. Also, if the SHTF, I don't wanna be the guy without one. I have been looking at a couple other brands though, but all are magazine fed rifles and seem to hover between $2500 and $4000 in price, give or take a little. An optic that can take advantages of the weapon's capabilities is going to be quite an investment, unless you're only looking to use the weapon for hard target interdiction, in which case a fairly low power scope will suffice just fine- just make sure it is built to withstand the recoil of the rifle.

Shooting my Parker shotguns.
54793_600x400.jpg

Plus whichever rifle project is interesting at the moment.
Presently, that is the fact that I just discovered that my Beretta 45-70 DR is regulated for North Fork 350 SS bullets. Multiple 50 yard groups at different velocities print an inch apart; the same as the barrel separation! at the muzzle.

54679_600x400.jpg

Dang, this may be my next varmint rifle!!!

My Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56MS as soon as I picked it up off the rack I knew it was “The one”. All 3 of these give me the fizz but the one in the middle is it. It points where I look and the sights are aligned as soon as it hits my shoulder.

View attachment 391984
Love the full length stock look.

A Heym Martini Express in .404 Jeff or 375 H&H.

For me it’s my Parker Hale 416 Taylor pictured in my avatar. Well balanced, fits right and kills what I shoot with one shot.
MRC American Legend in 30-06. It fits me the best and balances just right. I took it to Texas for a red stag hunt a couple weeks ago and was amazed at it's performance. I have always been a 7RM desciple but I am now a 30-06 convert.

I love the Barrett M99, especially if a ban comes into play. Also, if the SHTF, I don't wanna be the guy without one. I have been looking at a couple other brands though, but all are magazine fed rifles and seem to hover between $2500 and $4000 in price, give or take a little. An optic that can take advantages of the weapon's capabilities is going to be quite an investment, unless you're only looking to use the weapon for hard target interdiction, in which case a fairly low power scope will suffice just fine- just make sure it is built to withstand the recoil of the rifle.
Please don't take this personally as it is not meant that way and if that Barrett does it for you then you should have one. As for me being a vet, a combat weapon cannot ever be a "the fizz" rifle for me. " The fizz" gives me a warm feeling and happy thoughts and memories. No battle weapon gives me anywhere near that. But that is just me. I have shot a Barrett M 99 and for what it was designed to do it is a fine weapon. It just doesn't make me smile the way a Mannlicher Schoenauer or an Ithica model 37 does. Just one mans opinion. When you throw a gun to your shoulder it either makes you smile or doesnt. To me that is "the Fizz".

l have a few that give me the Fizz
but after looking at the lee speeds posted up l would say this one gives me the fizz to shoot
it belongs to a very good mate who lets me shoot it from time to time
to be honest l should go halves with him if he ever re-barrels it
it is in perfect condition with all the original parts he has included buff horn tip, cap and butt plate

6U7uJoc.jpg
j5sROym.jpg
rBF5T2J.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg