What makes a good safari client?

- tell your PH how you like to hunt (on truck? );

- tell you PH what is most important to you (the hunt? any representative trophy" a SCI Gold Medal?);
- tell the Lodge staff what food you do not like, what food you prefer;
- etc.

- want a fair chase hunt but a guaranteed shot at a breeder quality trophy!?!?
- want an African bush experience but do not tolerate heat, dust, bugs!?!?
- etc.

WOW!

Been a representative for a few months and now you know it all!

Hunt and on truck are contradictory and well illegal! This is not hunting rather driving around shooting animals off the back of the truck...

In order to be successful I would suggest sorting out food likes and dislikes long before the client arrives in camp!

Fair chase hunt? vs a guaranteed shot at a breeder quality trophy!!! Pascal, you are loosing the plot!

So you do offer guaranteed shots at tagged breeder class animals at Huntershill, probably in the breeding enclosure of well undisclosed size but suspected to be 5000 acres on the flat plains???, my my my, what a bad state of affairs.

I think, this advice has to be observed in the context of the heat of the moment, considering other hot topic...

WOW!

Been a representative for a few months and now you know it all!

Hunt and on truck are contradictory and well illegal! This is not hunting rather driving around shooting animals off the back of the truck...

In order to be successful I would suggest sorting out food likes and dislikes long before the client arrives in camp!

Fair chase hunt? vs a guaranteed shot at a breeder quality trophy!!! Pascal, you are loosing the plot!

So you do offer guaranteed shots at tagged breeder class animals at Huntershill, probably in the breeding enclosure of well undisclosed size but suspected to be 5000 acres on the flat plains???, my my my, what a bad state of affairs.
Interesting creative interpretations...
The heat of the moment indeed...
I suspect most other members interpret the post differently...
To each their own :)

That is an excellent piece. Kinda makes you wonder just what outfitters and PHs really think of we hunters and we of them. Are we being used to satisfy someone's ego or are we using them just for collecting a number of trophies? Is there a genuine friendship or just tolerance of each other? Does each try to do his best or just get by?

I have been lucky so far and have had PHs who really strive to fulfill my desires for good trophies and I have tried my best to meet their expectations as a good hunter. I must be doing something right because I am welcomed with open arms and a big hug by the outfitter and his family and PH. We hunt areas where the best trophies are and the best chance of harvesting one. I am privy to some of the more private aspects of the family life and have been told that I am one of the family. I consider that an honor not to be taken lightly and I know it is genuine. The advantages of hunting with the same people for several years. Trust and a bond develop.

I was enjoying this thread but it sideways with personal attacks. Not sure what that was but it was inappropriate.
I see different approaches from deduction to induction which are relevant to this thread and allow an all around view.
Good post

I would say it depends on the ph, I'd like to think a good ph would love to take out a good keen bloke who just wants to enjoy being out in the bush and experiencing the hunt in all it's forms. One that's happy to have a go, work at the hunting and appreciate the efforts of their ph.

At the end of the day though it's still business and between that or a guy that books an expensive hunt, tips well and comes back every year it's probably a no brainer for a lot of guys!

Great thread

I’m not an Outfitter/PH I’m just a guy who loves hunting Africa. IMO a good client is a good listener, its often said “I learn by asking questions” but that statement is not true, we seek knowledge by asking questions, we learn by listening. I have hunted Africa twice and on those two safaris I have spent 15 days hunting and 3-1/2 of those where over water holes, what do I know about hunting Africa compared to my PH, nothing. Listening to and respecting your PH is at the core of being a good client, if you do those two thing you’ll stop being hunter and PH and become friends.

For everyone that's been over there for a hunt, the majority of people note they were made to feel like family, got along great etc etc.
Without having too deep a look into your soul and mindset, how often do you communicate with previous PH/Owners?
This should let you know how you were as a client, in the simplest form.

I´m returning to SA to hunt with the same outfitter for the third time.

Why, because he has become my friend ? No, because I trust him, he has done everything possible to give me, his client, a good hunting experience.

Then he has several PH´s which are his employees, and I regard them as professionals, not semi-gods. And yes some are better than others.

Of course, it does help if you get along with all of them, but that also happens in other areas of your life.

Then the question, am I a good client ? Well at least they say so :LOL:

I am used to Africa (I was born there), and know the difficulties they face operating a business, the key here is to have a good attitude, and if things don´t go as they are supposed to, you "make a plan".

It also helps being respectful to everybody, including the animals you shoot.

Being a fair shot and handling your gun carefully is also very important.

Shame more actual PH's aren't responding, but I think that is not surprising in that they make a living adapting to the foibles of a host of different clients representing the broadest possible cross section of international hunters. Regardless what they say here, they will get the same cross-section of humanity next season. I will say my Louisiana experiences as a duck guide many years ago pretty much track with @buck wild.

And I think @Nyati has it right as well. Before everything else, the hunt is a contracted endeavor. Both parties deserve respect - as does the game. It is incumbent on both parties to insure that no actions undermine that mutual respect. For the client that means firearm competence and full awareness of just what he doesn't know - I personally have very little patience with the type who has been to Africa once or twice and has it all figured out. It is particularly grating in any hunting camp where one in a party has hunted plains game, elk, bear, buffalo, whatever is the hunt's focus, and they are suddenly the camp expert.

I have killed four buffalo in the company of three extraordinary PH's and trackers in three very different African environments. I enjoy talking about hunting buffalo; I have opinions about hunting buffalo: but what I actually KNOW about hunting buffalo will fit into my PH's earplug container (should I ever meet a PH who wears earplugs). (n) And I do realize that what I know about hunting one corner of that continent is only slightly relevant to what I am learning about the next.

So go with an open mind. Go ready to learn. Go competent with the handling of your firearm.

Last edited:
We could say a lot of things like communication, shoot straight, politeness, respect, etc.... in the end. It’s deep pockets & long arms, with the promise to hurry back!

Pay your dues at the rifle range. Nothing I appreciate more than seeing the results from time spent practicing. Extraordinary shots yield extraordinary animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an excellent piece. Kinda makes you wonder just what outfitters and PHs really think of we hunters and we of them. Are we being used to satisfy someone's ego or are we using them just for collecting a number of trophies? Is there a genuine friendship or just tolerance of each other? Does each try to do his best or just get by?

I have been lucky so far and have had PHs who really strive to fulfill my desires for good trophies and I have tried my best to meet their expectations as a good hunter. I must be doing something right because I am welcomed with open arms and a big hug by the outfitter and his family and PH. We hunt areas where the best trophies are and the best chance of harvesting one. I am privy to some of the more private aspects of the family life and have been told that I am one of the family. I consider that an honor not to be taken lightly and I know it is genuine. The advantages of hunting with the same people for several years. Trust and a bond develop.

I believe that some true friendships do in fact develop. Some of the individuals I write about are in fact friends, just not to the level of friendship that may be surmised.

Keep in mind the business transactional nature of the relationship to keep yourself insulated from being taken advantage of.

My example of your dentist or the guy you bought your truck from are accurate. They too will try to form some bond to remove you from your income.

It’s just hunan nature, I simply put my thoughts down on paper. When it was in print. Many messages I received from other clients insinuated “I would be blackballed from the hunting community.”

Hah!!! Just call to book a hunt and lay your money down brother.

I had a very enjoyable private exchange with both John Sharp and Kevin Robinson, who wrote a rebuttal called “The PH” which appeared in the next issue. Both sides can learn.

I had a very enjoyable private exchange with both John Sharp and Kevin Robinson, who wrote a rebuttal called “The PH” which appeared in the next issue. Both sides can learn.

I'd love to read it if it can be "republished" here or if it's available on the internet anywhere.

The right PH can sometimes make the client try harder and have a better positive outlook than a PH who's attitude is it's just another client and hunt.

Pay your dues at the rifle range. Nothing I appreciate more than seeing the results from time spent practicing. Extraordinary shots yield extraordinary animals.

Before my first safari, I was at the range the day before I departed for Africa and it was the third time that week. As a hunter, I dislike those that are unprepared with their firearms. I'm fairly certain outfitters and PHs feel the same.

Before my first safari, I was at the range the day before I departed for Africa and it was the third time that week. As a hunter, I dislike those that are unprepared with their firearms. I'm fairly certain outfitters and PHs feel the same.
See I don't think that has anything to do with Africa. Maybe I'm different because I hunt a lot but my gun and I are always in the best nick we can be. Can't see why anyone would do anything different.

I have been wondering if there are a lot of inexperienced guys going to Africa with little to no hunting experience (not directed at yourself obviously). Then again I see some pics of guys posing over animals in white shirts talking about how tough african animals are after pumping a magazine into every part of the animal other than vitals! That then makes me wonder why Africa draws those blokes?

See I don't think that has anything to do with Africa. Maybe I'm different because I hunt a lot but my gun and I are always in the best nick we can be. Can't see why anyone would do anything different.

I have been wondering if there are a lot of inexperienced guys going to Africa with little to no hunting experience (not directed at yourself obviously). Then again I see some pics of guys posing over animals in white shirts talking about how tough african animals are after pumping a magazine into every part of the animal other than vitals! That then makes me wonder why Africa draws those blokes?

Wonder no more. I was in camp (Africa) with two guys from a former eastern bloc country. They couldn't hit their grandmother with a double barreled shotgun at forty paces. One missed a kudu at 150 yards, then again at 100 yards and finally at 75 yards before it finally trotted off, I figured laughing. It happens a TON more than you know. It's been said many times before, money doesn't buy skill or experience and more than a few go with one and not the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,