What is your preferred 6.5/.264?

For a classic 6.5 nothing is more classic than 6.5c54 but it evidently doesn't have a flat enough trajectory for you. So I'd consider the next step up for performance and inexpensive brass would be 6.5x06. Performance but not classic.

Excellent thread, good stuff. So, I've been a silhouette shooter for some 30 years now. We first shot 308s and got beat up. Then the 7mm 308 wildcat was the rage and Remington introduced it. I burned up barrel of 7mmx308 on silhouette and game at 7500 rounds.

Then the attention was directed at the 6.5mm. There was great experimentation because the 140 gr bullets would take down rams and the 120 or 107 would take down everything else with very little recoil. The 6.5 BR, the 6.5x250 Savage ( take note - the 6.5 Creedmore! ) , the 6.5x308 (260 Rem), the 6.5x55, even the 6.5 TCU (6.5x223) among others appeared. I went with the 6.5x308 because of brass components avalibility. Here is the most significant statement about all this. Within 400 to 550 yards, there is no discernable difference between all these cartridges. No game animal will be able to tell the difference between a couple hundred feet per second. I will add that I have also burned up a 6.5x308 barrel on silhouettes and game at 7800 rounds and have more thousands in the pipeline with other rifles.

The 6.5 cartridges are fantastic for being the beautiful combination of low recoil, flat trajectory, minimal wind drift, high penetration, deadly performance. My 6.5x308 rifles have given me great satistfaction on appropriate game.

If you shoot any 6.5 you will probably find it to be a favorite. It certainly is mine.

I go with the 6.5-06. It will do anything the 264 win. mag. will do with less powder and recoil. It shouldn't be to hard to neck down 270 brass. Although I have never did this. But I have a 358 win. and have no problems necking up 308 cases.

I go with the 6.5-06. It shouldn't be to hard to neck down 270 brass. Although I have never did this. But I have a 358 win. and have no problems necking up 308 cases.

Two cartridges that I change neck sizes are 30 to 22 and 30 to 33. It seems to me that the brass has an easier time adjusting to being compressed in necking down than it does thinning out to necking up. In either case going from 24 to 26 or 27 to 26 should be just a matter of running cases through a full size die.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.31.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.31.21 AM.png
    978.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.31.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.31.24 AM.png
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.31.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.31.27 AM.png
    985.7 KB · Views: 49
6.5-06 will be the most economical choice that gives you the performance you desire. I could be mistaken but the 264 WM velocities are in a 26” barrel while you can achieve close to that in 24” with the 6.5-06.

The 6,5x55 and 6,5x57 are lovely cartridges. Ballistics are the same, and even though possible by dialing the scope, none were made to hunt out to 400y with a 156gr.

However, the 1:8 twist barrel stabilizes a 140 and 156 equally well, so maybe considder 140gr bullets for the longer shots. Having shot hundreds of plains animals in Africa with the Swede, I can assure you there is no difference in terminal performance between the two bullet weights on the heaviest of animals.

That is true, and I'd really like to have the 6.5x55 but between that and the .264WM there is an 8in drop difference at 400yds with the 156gr bullets.

Get closer! :)

As for classic cartridges, I instantly think of the 6.5x55 Swedish, 6.5x54MS (aka .256 Mannlicher), 6.5x52 Carcano, 6.5x57 and a few others that were developed in the late 1800's.

Of these, I think that the Swede is by far the easiest to find in a left-handed rifle. Also, the easiest to find brass for.

Generally I do, most of my shots are 100yds +/- 50 yds. However in RSA I had no choice but to take a couple shots between 300 and 400yds. Would like to be best prepared for that

Generally I do, most of my shots are 100yds +/- 50 yds. However in RSA I had no choice but to take a couple shots between 300 and 400yds. Would like to be best prepared for that
Just curious...what were you shooting at between 300-400 yards?

As I do. One of the older cartridges that still just plain works but the criteria in the OP limits the choice to the lager cased 6,5's (unfortunately)
I don’t believe I follow that. For all practical modern purposes I can chamber a 6.5x57 in anything I can chamber the 6.5x55. If he is building a rifle, he can have either one.

If looking for a true 400 meter rifle to use on game rather than paper in a "classic" 6.5, then probably the .264 Win Mag is the best choice. But you will need that great long barrel making it the equivalent of dragging around a .300 Win/ultra/wby Mag which would be a better 400 meter choice in the first place. A "classic" 6.5 bolt action was created around the idea of a lightweight stalking rifle - with emphasis on stalking. 6.5x54 was optimized for a heavy for caliber bullet in the petit Mannlicher Schoenauer. Like the 30-06, the Swede was obviously a military development that was found to perform brilliantly on game in repurposed M94/96/38 rifles and newly built sporting arms. The 6.5x57 was created from the 7x57 to form the basis of a number of continental stalking and alpine rifles. All work perfectly in the role for which they were created. But none are optimised for .400 meter shots - but few hunting rifles of any caliber really are.

I don’t believe I follow that. For all practical modern purposes I can chamber a 6.5x57 in anything I can chamber the 6.5x55. If he is building a rifle, he can have either one.

If looking for a true 400 meter rifle to use on game rather than paper in a "classic" 6.5, then probably the .264 Win Mag is the best choice. But you will need that great long barrel making it the equivalent of dragging around a .300 Win/ultra/wby Mag which would be a better 400 meter choice in the first place. A "classic" 6.5 bolt action was created around the idea of a lightweight stalking rifle - with emphasis on stalking. 6.5x54 was optimized for a heavy for caliber bullet in the petit Mannlicher Schoenauer. Like the 30-06, the Swede was obviously a military development that was found to perform brilliantly on game in repurposed M94/96/38 rifles and newly built sporting arms. The 6.5x57 was created from the 7x57 to form the basis of a number of continental stalking and alpine rifles. All work perfectly in the role for which they were created. But none are optimised for .400 meter shots - but few hunting rifles of any caliber really are.
That is a valid point on the classic 6.5's not being meant for 400yd/m shots on game, Although it can be done, I have been wondering if I'm trying to push a pointless issue, as I have the .300 H&H which would likely be used in most of those cases anyway. This is why I bring up topics like this on here, it forces you to think and fully consider all options before jumping into a possibly rash decision. I may be swaying back towards the 6.5x55, although more input is very welcome!

Albert, for 400m, the best 6.5 might be the 7mm Rem Mag. What's 0.5mm amongst friends.
Good point, but I've had a 7mag, wasn't thrilled at the time with it, and for me the 6.5's seem to give better real world results on game. I don't know what it is, but I've seen far more instant, decisive kills with the 6.5 Creedmoor than I ever did with the 7mag. Of course this has all been under 200yds for the CM so it's not a true apples to apples comparison either.... But as I said and was brought up by others, the .300 H&H will probably take care of the longer stuff just fine anyway

Albert I use a 6.5 x 55 Swede more than any other rifle I own. I just did a QuickLoad simulation of a Swede using 156 Gr. Oryx bullets and either H4350 or Win. 760 powders you can get 2650 FPS out of a 24inch barrel. But no more than that.

Albert I use a 6.5 x 55 Swede more than any other rifle I own. I just did a QuickLoad simulation of a Swede using 156 Gr. Oryx bullets and either H4350 or Win. 760 powders you can get 2650 FPS out of a 24inch barrel. But no more than that.
Nice, thank you for that, very helpful information

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillK

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.