What is your preferred 6.5/.264?

yes but is the berger bullet worth using?
for that weight bullet you are usually looking for serious penetration on bigger game and that bullet may well not have it, particularly at closer ranges.
I t would be a good long range TARGET bullet in the wind,
bruce.

I understand your reluctance to accept that Berger makes good hunting bullets. My experience has been quite positive with them. Every bullet that I know of has supporters and detractors. I used 180 gr Bergers in Africa. I believe my rifle took 14 animals. All but 1 were 1 shot kills. That included 3 eland. From under 40 yds to over 500. For the 156 in particular I had 3 1 shot kills this past Oct. 1 whitetail at 20 yds. 2 antelope, one at a little under 300 and the other almost 350 yds.
The fellow I quoted from the other forum had I think it was 17 animals that were 1 shot kills with the 156 out of a 6.5. That included 2 elk. That was himself, friends and family. If you'd like to PM me I'll send a link so you can read about it.
I have debated Bergers with a number of people. Its almost always someone told me they had a failure...... Upon investigation it is almost always one of three reasons:
1) failure to check the point with a pin to make sure its not clogged.
2) Not using the heavy for caliber bullet. The 156 is that for sure in a 6.5. A 180 in a .300 WM is NOT.
3) The good old "I know I hit him good line" that if the animal is found the shot didn't go where it was intended. That works for any bullet.
If you haven't tried them then perhaps you should. They are somewhat controversial, but for me they have killed animals well.
My appologies to the OP for somewhat derailing your question. The Norma 156 likely has more bearing surface and will probably run somewhat slower than the Berger. 3000 fps with good brass and reloads should be doable in a 24 inch barrel. I wasn't necessarily trying to change your mind about the bullet but there are a lot of misconceptions out there.
Bruce

The only 6.5 I have is an Interarms Mark X with 26" braked barrel in a synthetic stock with a minimally functional recoil pad. I have a 3-12X50 scope mounted on it currently. Typical traditional rich satin blued metal by Zastava. It shoots lights out with Nosler factory ammo loaded with the 130 grain Accubond bullets. I plan to give it a new home in a nice preowned Interarms Mark X walnut stock I picked up from eBay and have a high functioning recoil pad complete the package. With a 1:9 inches barrel twist rate it might be challenging to get 155+ grain bullets to stabilize but that's not a big issue for me. The 6.5mm 143 grain Norma Bondstrike bullet may be worth me pursuing having Reed's develop a load for me at velocity from older reloading tables mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

As I've posted elsewhere I honestly don't have "favorite" firearms chamberings any more than I have "favorite" combination wrench sizes in my toolbox. But since it's the only 6.5mm rifle in my battery I suppose it can be qualified as my "favorite".

Mine as well, the swede is the true classic, however these new heavy bullets need a bit more so that's where I'm at. I looked at the -06 but have no interest in forming brass and if I was going to use that, the 260 rem, or 6.5 gibbs I might as well be using the .264WM with more readily available brass. That's my thinking anyway, lol
Albert GRANT
One old classic you haven't mentioned is the old 6.5 Remington magnum. In an intermediate action where you can SEAT the 156 grainers out and a 24 inch barrel it would fill your needs perfectly.
Cheers mate Bob

The only 6.5 I have is an Interarms Mark X with 26" braked barrel in a synthetic stock with a minimally functional recoil pad. I have a 3-12X50 scope mounted on it currently. Typical traditional rich satin blued metal by Zastava. It shoots lights out with Nosler factory ammo loaded with the 130 grain Accubond bullets. I plan to give it a new home in a nice preowned Interarms Mark X walnut stock I picked up from eBay and have a high functioning recoil pad complete the package. With a 1:9 inches barrel twist rate it might be challenging to get 155+ grain bullets to stabilize but that's not a big issue for me. The 6.5mm 143 grain Norma Bondstrike bullet may be worth me pursuing having Reed's develop a load for me at velocity from older reloading tables mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

As I've posted elsewhere I honestly don't have "favorite" firearms chamberings any more than I have "favorite" combination wrench sizes in my toolbox. But since it's the only 6.5mm rifle in my battery I suppose it can be qualified as my "favorite".
Mr Zorg
Sounds like a nice rifle but what 6.5 is it.
Cheers mate Bob

Mr Zorg
Sounds like a nice rifle but what 6.5 is it.
Cheers mate Bob
Whoops! Thanks for the catch Bruce.

It's chambered for. 264 Winchester Magnum. The muzzle brake and synthetic stock were on the rifle when I purchased it.

Last edited:
All this talk of 6.5/.264 has me thinking about a 264WM.
Looks like I may have found a reason to call J.Sip & Sons...damnit.

Over 25 years the 6,5x 57 was my main rifle for game up to 100 kg maximum and was very, very satisfied.
If I would start again today, I would take the 6,5x55 - as far as no reloader in any case
The Creedmore is an expensive exotic in our country.
A member once wrote here: "there is nothing unusual about the Creedmore, except the good PR department of the manufacturer".
Because of the wild boar explosion in Germany you can get cheap ammunition (50 rounds/50.- Euro) in .308 for hunting and shooting cinema.
One of the reasons why the 6,5 is not so popular anymore and if you want to sell a gun in this caliber (in Germany) nobody will take it away.

Gams.jpg

over decades all with 6,5x57 and a 123 grain bullet

Hirsch.jpg

I actually have one saved in my watch list on GB! If I decide to go with the 6.5x55 in the end, it will likely be that rifle I go with. Only issue will be what their twist rate is...

What is the problem with the twist rate? Tikka seems to have a 8" twist for the 6.5×55 SE (at least in their newer models).

I have an older Sako (AV) in that same chambering and it shoots the 156gr bullets quite well. I couldn't find the twist info for this particular model, but the following model (L691) has a 9" twist, while the newer models 75 and 85 both have an 8" twist. So I would guess that mine is 9".

The 6.5×55 with 155+ grain bullets is effectively the smallest legal (common) cartridge for big game (moose, bear etc) in the Nordic countries. (Positively sure regarding Sweden, not 100% re Finland, Norway).

So rifles produced by "local" manufacturers not being able to meet this requirement seem unlikely.

So, in short, I don't think you need to worry about twist rate if you use 155/156/160 grain round-nose or semi-spitzer type bullets.

EDIT: Sako and Tikka is the same company since a few decades back, hence the mention of Sako.

What is the problem with the twist rate? Tikka seems to have a 8" twist for the 6.5×55 SE (at least in their newer models).

I have an older Sako (AV) in that same chambering and it shoots the 156gr bullets quite well. I couldn't find the twist info for this particular model, but the following model (L691) has a 9" twist, while the newer models 75 and 85 both have an 8" twist. So I would guess that mine is 9".

The 6.5×55 with 155+ grain bullets is effectively the smallest legal (common) cartridge for big game (moose, bear etc) in the Nordic countries. (Positively sure regarding Sweden, not 100% re Finland, Norway).

So rifles produced by "local" manufacturers not being able to meet this requirement seem unlikely.

So, in short, I don't think you need to worry about twist rate if you use 155/156/160 grain round-nose or semi-spitzer type bullets.

EDIT: Sako and Tikka is the same company since a few decades back, hence the mention of Sako.
The issue was that I didn't know what their twist rate was, now that I do and it's it's an 8 twist, there is no longer an issue, lol. Thank you

Still more reason to appreciate the 1896 Swedish Mauser. The twist rate was 1 / 7.8". Looks like "they" got that right as well. I remain hopeful that sooner or later more of you guys will catch on. ;);)

Albert, I recently bought a CZ-550 FS in 6.5x55. Since you reload, you can actually squeeze out a bit more performance from the Swede than the Creed. But the CM is a marketing sensation in the US and ammo is now available everywhere.

Chuck Hawks has a few articles on the 6.5mm.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/case_capacity_matters.html

https://www.chuckhawks.com/6-5_long_range_hunting.html

https://www.chuckhawks.com/6-5mm_overnight_success.html
Just curious, what would be a fair price for a CZ 550 in very good shape in 6.5x55? Thanks!

If you are looking at what I think you are, it's a good price. lol
Ha! Ha! Nothing gets by some of you guys on here! Not really looking for a CZ in that caliber, but I only own a .270 Win HUNTING rifle in anything under.30 caliber, so?

The OCD in me is going to push again for the .275 H&H. What a combo, .275 H&H, .300 H&H, and .375 H&H! The .275 was even introduced the same year (1912) as the .375. The .300 came along in 1925.

The OCD in me is going to push again for the .275 H&H. What a combo, .275 H&H, .300 H&H, and .375 H&H! The .275 was even introduced the same year (1912) as the .375. The .300 came along in 1925.

Cool as it would be to have an H&H trio, there are not many options when it comes to bullets for the 275. Woodleigh at least have the .287 bullets in their catalogue, but real-world availability might be different.

One could of course go for a barrel in the standard .284, but....it's just like a 338-06 is not a 318 WR. Not that the game would notice, but still... :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 10.29.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 10.29.38 AM.png
    562.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that is good to hear then. And I completely understand the OCD by the way. Some part of me wants to get (i.e. build) a left-hand .333 and .280 Jeffery to accompany the 404.

Naturally, there is no other cartridge using the 333 diameter bullets, but Woodleigh are making them at least.

And the .280 which is *really* obsolete - is actually using a .288 bullet. Not even Woodleigh makes those. I guess that the .287 would work though. But getting somebody to build the rifle, find reamers, loading dies etc etc. Let's just keep it a dream, OK? :)

The only "heavy" animals I find I have to shoot at long distance are Kudu in the E-Cape and Gemsbok in the open plains of the Kalahari.
For these I am happy with a premium 140gr or 156gr as the size of the vital area is a little bit bigger and any drop can be compensated for.
I would carry a range finder and will know what the trajectory is; the heavier bullet adds peace of mind.

The 156gr Oryx work well in the bush for tough animals like Blue Wildebeest, Zebra and Warthog. But the ranges for shots on these are well under 200m.

For medium and smaller animals at range like Haartebeest, Black Wildebeest, Blesbuck, Springbuck I'm very comfortable shooting a 125gr Partition at 2900fps.
I have hunted Blesbuck and Springbuck with countless combinations, but when I went to the E-Cape to shoot Black Wildebeest and Haartebeest I used this Partition load and could not have been happier.

On a Safari trip you don't really have the luxury of shooting different bullets and should stick to one that works on all anticipated shots. I'd load a 140gr Swift A-Frame at 2700fps if I was coming to do a once in a lifetime trip and I would be happy to use only my 6.5x55.

My rifle is one of these left handed 6.5x55SE Tikkas with 1:8 twist and loooong throat that I can seat bullets well out to get more powder in my loads. (older M695 not T3)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.