What is your go to 375h&h load and what do you use it on?

Here ya go.

My Lioness was probably about 90-95 yds out sitting down almost quartering towards me. Shot her right at the edge of the shoulder, and the bullet excited on the opposite side about halfway between the ribs. She jumped and did a summersault and ran maybe 15 ft and dropped dead. I looked at her organs, and her heart and lungs were severely damaged by the bullet path. I asked Hans from De Klerk Safaris if this was a good bullet to use, and he gave me the green light. I wanted to use Nosler Partitions, but they wouldn't shoot good in my rifle.

If you look closely, you can see the entry wound, the exit was no bigger than a Penny. These bullets performed as expected, and my rifle loved them.

PICT II.jpg

Here ya go.

My Lioness was probably about 90-95 yds out sitting down almost quartering towards me. Shot her right at the edge of the shoulder, and the bullet excited on the opposite side about halfway between the ribs. She jumped and did a summersault and ran maybe 15 ft and dropped dead. I looked at her organs, and her heart and lungs were severely damaged by the bullet path. I asked Hans from De Klerk Safaris if this was a good bullet to use, and he gave me the green light. I wanted to use Nosler Partitions, but they wouldn't shoot good in my rifle.

If you look closely, you can see the entry wound, the exit was no bigger than a Penny. These bullets performed as expected, and my rifle loved them.

View attachment 512934
Just to verify…Barnes 300 grain TSX on this beauty of a Lioness. Nice shooting doesn’t hurt either. ;)

@BeeMaa, yes sir, Vortex 300 Grs TSX was used. Thank you!!

Good to know. Lot of good information on this thread. I am not getting any more 375 bullets as i have plenty of loaded woodleigh 350 gr ammo and old barnes x bullets and some xlc solids. Also some 285 gr speer grandslam old style.
Krish

On my first trip in Africa I did all my hunting with Barnes 270 Grains TSX loaded over 69,5 grains of H4895.

Great penetration on Cape Buffalo, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, and of course, Impalas..

Can you elaborate on the performance of the 285 grain grand slam?

@PARA45 obviously it worked for you. Have read many people say TSX are not the best to use on cats. The claim is they are to hard and don't open up.

Do you have any details that you can share about your cat?

Here ya go.

View attachment 512934

Just to verify…Barnes 300 grain TSX on this beauty of a Lioness. Nice shooting doesn’t hurt either. ;)
To me this sounds like a perfect example of a bullet not working as it should, but perfect shooting made up for it, as @BeeMaa pointed out. Seems like it is exactly what @Inline6 had been hearing. Had the same experience with my son shooting a black bear at 200yds with a barnes tsx in .308- tiny hole in, tiny hole out, never expanded a bit and got lucky that he managed to heart shoot it at that distance. Not a drop of blood, took the closest game trail in the direction the bear headed and found it 40 yards in. Now I have heard many people say they recover Barnes fully expanded, so I wonder if it might have something to do with different lots of copper they receive being harder than others? In the end it all ultimately comes down to shot placement- if you put it where it needs to be and the bullet is strong enough to penetrate, it will kill regardless of whether or not it expands , though it might not be as quick as you would like in some cases!

75gr IMR4350, 300gr Aframes and 73 gr IMR 4350 CEB 300gr solids. Same POI.
I went with AZDAVE on his load of IMR4350 and got within one inch MOA

To me this sounds like a perfect example of a bullet not working as it should, but perfect shooting made up for it, as @BeeMaa pointed out. Seems like it is exactly what @Inline6 had been hearing. Had the same experience with my son shooting a black bear at 200yds with a barnes tsx in .308- tiny hole in, tiny hole out, never expanded a bit and got lucky that he managed to heart shoot it at that distance. Not a drop of blood, took the closest game trail in the direction the bear headed and found it 40 yards in. Now I have heard many people say they recover Barnes fully expanded, so I wonder if it might have something to do with different lots of copper they receive being harder than others? In the end it all ultimately comes down to shot placement- if you put it where it needs to be and the bullet is strong enough to penetrate, it will kill regardless of whether or not it expands , though it might not be as quick as you would like in some cases!
Black bears are the Whitetail of the bear family. They are just not as hard to take down. I used a Barnes LRX in a 6.5CM, he was 50 yards away. Was going to us Berger bullets, had read enough reports about their fur soaking up blood making it hard to track. I decided to go with them. I wanted hoke in and out. I wish I had taken the Berger bullets. Recovered the bear fast less than 50 yards. I just thing the Bergers would have done a better job. The LRX did what I asked of it, hit the mark and punched out. Was able to pick up the blood trail and find him in short order.

Even if your son used an AFrame, the same thing would have happened. Not enough mass to make the bullet open up.

Black bears are the Whitetail of the bear family. They are just not as hard to take down. I used a Barnes LRX in a 6.5CM, he was 50 yards away. Was going to us Berger bullets, had read enough reports about their fur soaking up blood making it hard to track. I decided to go with them. I wanted hoke in and out. I wish I had taken the Berger bullets. Recovered the bear fast less than 50 yards. I just thing the Bergers would have done a better job. The LRX did what I asked of it, hit the mark and punched out. Was able to pick up the blood trail and find him in short order.

Even if your son used an AFrame, the same thing would have happened. Not enough mass to make the bullet open up.
I should have mentioned it went throught the far leg bone as well and the exit after that was the same size as the entrance. Plus I have a 12ga brenneke slug with the whole face sheered off on a black bear that would suggest otherwise. To be fair I did intentionally shoot it in the shoulder, however, being the easiest bear to kill does not mean they are "low mass" animal. Besides, any bullet that opens up on a whitetail is definitely going to open up on a bear of any kind.

I use primarily 300 gr bullets and two powders. Either H4350 or Varget. I load to an objective velocity of 2500 fps. I have no high pressure signs with that formula. I have two rifles in 375 HH- a Win M70 and a BRNO ZKK 602. Both rifles like both powders with 300 gr bullets loaded to that velocity. I have used 300 gr TBBCs, A-Frames and TSXs to approx 2500 fps for several animals including: blue wildebeest, brown bear, eland and zebra. All bullets have worked well. Even have some experience long ago with a different rifle in 375 HH using the 300 gr Nosler Partitions @ about 2500 fps. That combination also worked well. Pretty boring I know but a good quality, tough 300 gr bullet at about 2500 fps seems to work in the 375 HH. Maybe being boring, easy to live with and reliable is the reason the 375 HH has been so useful and popular over the years.

I should have mentioned it went throught the far leg bone as well and the exit after that was the same size as the entrance. Plus I have a 12ga brenneke slug with the whole face sheered off on a black bear that would suggest otherwise. To be fair I did intentionally shoot it in the shoulder, however, being the easiest bear to kill does not mean they are "low mass" animal. Besides, any bullet that opens up on a whitetail is definitely going to open up on a bear of any kind.
That does not surprise me, the bullet will not necessarily open just because it hits bone. Actually the bullet could have opened up and that is the size it was.

As far the brenneke slug, I can’t comment without seeing a picture. If it is soft lead, well it doesn't take much for them either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross