What is the typical method for hunting a captive bred lion?

"Having a great experience is just incidental....." you and I must come from different planets. The experience, the hunt is everything to me. For instance, I would much rather have a 28" free range Nyala from the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique that I hunted for two weeks than a 30" protein enhanced bull that probably has a name from a fenced farm (apologies to a couple of our sponsors). One reason a leopard hunt is so much fun is sharing the strategy and experience of trying to get one on a bait at all with one's PH. Though I realize it is unfortunately not the case, anyone should be able to shoot competently. Else, they have no business attempting to kill a game animal in the first place.

I am sure a CBL hunt can be exciting and even dangerous. So is climbing in an arena with a Spanish bull. He will also have a perfect "hair" to paraphrase Warren Zevon. I just wish I could have hunted a lion in the thirties or had the resources today to spend on some ragged haired, old wild male that took every minute of a 21-day safari, to finally get on bait.

And none of that is to criticise in any way my fellow hunters who have gone the CBL route. And if the "experience" was what you expected and wanted, then great. I personally would want another one with respect to a lion.

Couldn’t agree more. With recent events, it will likely be years before I can consider a lion hunt. However, when I can, it will be a wild lion, and I hope a tracking hunt. I know it’s low odds, but the thought of tracking a truly wild lion would be an adventure worth having.

Against decoying ducks and geese? I assume you wouldn't bait a sendero in South Texas either, though you might want to try still hunting the brush country before assuming that position.... How about for feral hogs destroying your crops? The use of calls? Just curious.

No, you're not "just curious". You're trying to goad me into a response. Fine, here's my response. I don't understand why my decision to not hunt over bait is any concern of yours. I'm not questioning why others do it and where it's legal it's none of my business but I choose not to. BTW, decoys are not bait and nuisance animal control isn't hunting.

No, you're not "just curious". You're trying to goad me into a response. Fine, here's my response. I don't understand why my decision to not hunt over bait is any concern of yours. I'm not questioning why others do it and where it's legal it's none of my business but I choose not to. BTW, decoys are not bait and nuisance animal control isn't hunting.
Fair enough. We have established decoying is ok and pigs don't count.

I would simply point out you chose to drop into this discussion, without offering any experience in hunting the great cats, but to seemingly only to signal your virtues with regard to baiting and fences. If I took that incorrectly, then you have my sincerest apologies.

And I truly was genuinely curious why one would not participate in baiting of a game animal under any circumstances. Ever. "Baiting" in one form or another is a common hunting practice. It is driven by the habits of a particular game animal and the environment it inhabits. There are whole regions in my state where baiting, for say deer, is not only practiced but is encouraged because it allows selective take. There are other areas that are virtually impossible to hunt without the use of stands or baits due to terrain and the region's unique vegetation.

I am truly not trying to "goad" you. However, I fully admit I am probably overly sensitive to that attitude about baiting. I have more than once had discussions with judgemental hunters about the subject; invariably they are people who live in an environment where it is not necessary, and who have never attempted to hunt where it is necessary. Or they have never hunted a game animal that is impossible to hunt without resorting to that technique.

I hope you get the opportunity to hunt the Big Bend country someday for one of our monster whitetail. Better yet, I hope you have the opportunity to work out the travel pattern of an African Leopard as you try to get it to present a shot in usable light. I would love to take up this conversation again then.

Fair enough. We have established decoying is ok and pigs don't count.

I would simply point out you chose to drop into this discussion, without offering any experience in hunting the great cats, but to seemingly only to signal your virtues with regard to baiting and fences. If I took that incorrectly, then you have my sincerest apologies.

And I truly was genuinely curious why one would not participate in baiting of a game animal under any circumstances. Ever. "Baiting" in one form or another is a common hunting practice. It is driven by the habits of a particular game animal and the environment it inhabits. There are whole regions in my state where baiting, for say deer, is not only practiced but is encouraged because it allows selective take. There are other areas that are virtually impossible to hunt without the use of stands or baits due to terrain and the region's unique vegetation.

I am truly not trying to "goad" you. However, I fully admit I am probably overly sensitive to that attitude about baiting. I have more than once had discussions with judgemental hunters about the subject; invariably they are people who live in an environment where it is not necessary, and who have never attempted to hunt where it is necessary. Or they have never hunted a game animal that is impossible to hunt without resorting to that technique.

I hope you get the opportunity to hunt the Big Bend country someday for one of our monster whitetail. Better yet, I hope you have the opportunity to work out the travel pattern of an African Leopard as you try to get it to present a shot in usable light. I would love to take up this conversation again then.

The only judgement I have about baiting is it isn't appropriate for me. Show me where I said anything about what others should do. I leave others to do as they see fit. All I ask is the same courtesy.

I never claimed any experience hunting big cats. The thread is about about various ways to hunt lion. My contribution was a hypothetical comment that IF I ever had the chance to hunt lion I would choose to hunt a particular way. Based on other posts it didn't appear that actual experience hunting lion was a prerequisite to comment.

No animal is impossible to hunt without baiting. Degree of difficulty isn't enough justification for me. If the only way to hunt leopards or Texas deer is over bait then I won't be hunting leopards or Texas deer. I never said or implied others shouldn't do it.

Are you trying to change my mind or justify your own choices? Just curious.

The only judgement I have about baiting is it isn't appropriate for me. Show me where I said anything about what others should do. I leave others to do as they see fit. All I ask is the same courtesy.

I never claimed any experience hunting big cats. The thread is about about various ways to hunt lion. My contribution was a hypothetical comment that IF I ever had the chance to hunt lion I would choose to hunt a particular way. Based on other posts it didn't appear that actual experience hunting lion was a prerequisite to comment.

No animal is impossible to hunt without baiting. Degree of difficulty isn't enough justification for me. If the only way to hunt leopards or Texas deer is over bait then I won't be hunting leopards or Texas deer. I never said or implied others shouldn't do it.

Are you trying to change my mind or justify your own choices? Just curious.

Of course I am, and likely offering "justification" for a whole lot of other people on this site who have hunted behind fences or over bait. (You need to stay away from most of South Africa.) Though I would actually use the world "explain" rather than justify. And if I may, I would suggest you get out just a little more before becoming too certain of your virtues. The world has a odd way of looking different the broader one expands one's horizons. It surprises me nearly every day. "No animal is impossible to hunt without baiting. Degree of difficulty isn't enough justification for me. If the only way to hunt leopards or Texas deer is over bait then I won't be hunting leopards or Texas deer." You have all that settled in your mind based upon what experience set? Just curious.

Your sensitivity is making you believe I cast aspersions on anyone that hunts over bait or behind high fences. That, my friend, simply did not happen. I couched my position firmly on how it applied to me and me only. I never once stated what I think others should or should not do and I never once opined about the ethics of other hunting methods. What you incorrectly infer is not my problem. You're implying things that never happened.

I've been riding on this planet for 60+ years and I don't have to justify or explain myself to you or anybody else. I'm not telling you to not hunt over bait. Why are you so intent on giving me grief about my choice not to?

You can have the last word because we're going round in circles. I've nothing more to say on the matter.

This clown lost me with this ridiculous claim......

"and nuisance animal control isn't hunting".

My few South African cents worths CBL if done properly is really exiting and can become hairy in a wink of an eye ultimate would be to do a wild lion in Wild area over 21 dyas adding other dangerous game to the bill but for most of us that is not possible.
What I can suggest that if you go and do the CBL route choose the outfit properly do your homework and spend that extra to go to a proper setup where the lions roam free in the area/farm not just one lion that has been booked. On that same note if you hunt a male add a female you might be lucky and get cahrged by both but most of the time the lionesesses have permanent PMS and will push up that adrenaline level.
Tell your PH you don't want to shoot the lion at a range of more than 50 yards or closer if you have the guts. The ealier in the year you go the thicker the bush still is and its get challenging.

Wild lion is different and is a whole adventure not just the final shot from a blind. It's baiting shooting/hunting bait animals lot of hours in the truck checking baits its a mind game and the lion has a better chance to win.

This clown lost me with this ridiculous claim......

"and nuisance animal control isn't hunting".
He is "virtue signalling." It has become a plague in forums. One drops into a discussion to signal how much more virtuous you are than the unwashed actually having a give and take about the primary subject. They always end their comments by claiming to not make any judgements about others ........

I believe your analogy is spot on redleg.

Never...

You are not talking about the whole hunting experience only about which one will provide the more challenging taking off the shot....

Hunting wild lions is not just about taking the shot...rather about the whole experience of finding lions, tracking or baiting them, hunting the animals needed for bait, checking baits every day, adapting and changing plans, outwitting your pray, actually getting them onto the bait, positioning the blind, building the blind, getting into the blind, waiting in anticipation, determining the age of the lion and if everything works out concluding a successful hunt by carefully squeezing the trigger and placing the shot where it needs to go....

CBL the outcome is inevitable, wild lions it is uncertain and requires a lot more skill, experience and effort, not just the skill of the trackers but all involved.....
And a hell of a lot more money ! Not everybody can afford the "experience"of wild..Maybe $50,000.

Everyone lives within their means, so I settled for a CBL hunt through a reputable outfitter. I had a great time & not once felt it being a watered down or staged hunt, on the contrary, I had a hard but satisfying walk & stalk hunt.

There's something about it, after following that familiar lion track for a few days already, to finally notice the disturbed leaf still lifting up from that massive paw print in the ground, heading up a steep hill covered in big rocks & thick green bush, expectations lurking at every corner like so many times before... it quickly dawns on you this time its different when the PH/ tracker 's energy changes as he suggests you should stick close by and keep your eyes peeled... he must be right here!

Fantastic memories!

Ultimately a wild or CBL hunt can be terrific or terrible, both have their pro's & con's but its how you go about it that makes it worth your while.

So CBL hunting is more challenging than wild lion hunting typically? I'm thinking with CBL you are shooting off sticks or off-hand and it sounds like with wild lions most of the time you'll have your rifle propped on the front rail of the blind, could even have a set of short sticks holding the rear of the rifle steady.
Yes most ranch lions will be an exciting tracking hunt while others will be over bait. Both have their own qualities.
Philip

A wild lion would be an awesome hunt, more challenging than CBL and I think most would say much more rewarding. But I think one piece of this conversation that is being left out is the practicality of either for a typical hunter. I think having a Corvette would be nicer than the 1993 Maxima I drove for the last decade...but it is a silly argument because a Corvette is out of the cards.

I hunted a CBL in 2016 within 2-3 days of the effective closure date. I killed a modest mained lion with a 25 inch skull after tracking it in sand to a dead wildebeest it was sitting on. The entire hunt was done last minute, on frequent flier miles and the price was less than a typical plains game hunt for 5-6 species....and it made it back to the states. I am happy I did it, but to say I would have rather gotten it than a wild lion because it was tracking rather than typical (not always) baiting would be silly of me.

I'd rather hunt a wild lion than a CBL...but that wasn't the question I had...it was would I rather hunt a CBL at an unprecedented opportune time that made it affordable or not ever hunt a lion at all. Easy choice.

But to answer question....typical method of CBL is tracking...."typical" method of wild lion is baiting, although in some places, like Benin, for example, tracking is used, as well as others. Point is, if you are looking to hunt wild lions but not ever bait, there are options.

With an adequate rifle and good backup!
Tracking sounds good to me, if I had the opportunity.

I don't get the problem with hunting over bait. You make it seem like it's easy and guaranteed. I've hunted black bears my entire life over bait. And I need to sit for hours over an entire season to get a bear. I've hunted deer over bait. And all of the years of doing that. I have never once shot a mature buck over the bait. All my nice bucks have been other locations.

People need to not judge hunting methods. Other then pen shooting I am not against anything. I can assure you I have spent 100x more time sitting over bait hunting black bears, then it took me to stock a Sable or other plains game. There is different forms of hunting. Africa and even western NA hunts are open plains, mountains to glass from etc. You climb. You glass. You see your prey. You go after them. It is common to get your pray in one hunt. Where I live. It's all thick thick bush. We have no choice but to ambush hunt from tree stands. We sit over baits, mock scraps, decoys, trails, water etc. And I can sit an entire season 30-40 hunts to see 1 deer. One is not more manly then the other. It's just how it's done in that area. Embrace it and enjoy it. And learn something new. And put your nose down a bit. I can see your boogers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross