What is the TRUE cost of my African Hunting Safari!

One of the few good things about getting older, is to no longer feel the need to "stuff" every big game animal I shoot. I have always done primarily euro mounts (for instance, I have yet to hang a whitetail shoulder mount), and I always have taken lots of photos. One morning, I had the incredibly liberating realization, that it wasn't necessary to actually bring everything home physically. I know people who will not go back to Africa because they have no room for any more taxidermy. That means they are walking away from a passion because of a lack of space. Jeez - photos are OK! And not paying the taxidermist, importer, exporter, etc will buy you another hunt pretty darn quickly. A lot of guys in the hunting industry get to the point a lot quicker than most of us. My friend Tony Makris has taken two or three dozen buffalo. He is passionate about hunting them. Should he quit hunting them because he doesn't own a gymnasium in which to hang them? Like the meat itself, the horns won't be left in the bush.

@Red Leg Great point! Its definitely important to remember that hunting is about the hunt first and foremost. Photos, video (you can often hire a good videographer to film your hunt for about the cost of a shoulder mount), etc. are all great ways to remember and relive the experience.

@Limcroma Safaris makes a great point. I just recommend figuring out what you can afford- how much money do you want to spend on the safari. Tell that information to your outfitter. I hunted with Limcroma last summer and that's exactly what I did. They had my budget and the animals I was interested in. My PH ensured that I stayed within my budget and had a great hunt.

You'll be blown away at the number of animals, quality of accommodations, and skill of PHs trackers and skinners that you can get for your money in Africa. I suspect just about any outfitter will bend over backwards to exceed your expectations while staying on budget.

I think we are over thinking it here. If you try to out a final number on it, it is going to scare you. I just showed my buddy some costs because it is his first time going to Africa. Where the costs go crazy is how much taxidermy you want to get done. But it is spread out. Down payment, one year out, flight 6 months out, fees, then taxidermy down payment, then final, then shipping. It takes a long time.

Also, everyone seems to be worried about airfare, just get a united miles plus card, 80k miles gets you a round trip ticket. You get 50k just for opening an account. I have flown twice just on miles. I'm sure you can do the same with Delta.

I did no taxidermy on my tuskless hunt. Day Fees, Trophy Fees, Tips. Oh hotel before and after at 120 a night. That's it. I hunted a elephant for less then what most people will spend on an elk hunt, caribou or moose hunt.

If you don't mind not having taxidermy and get frequent flyer miles, just hang around here and you can have experiences that most people can only dream of.

One of the few good things about getting older, is to no longer feel the need to "stuff" every big game animal I shoot. I have always done primarily euro mounts (for instance, I have yet to hang a whitetail shoulder mount), and I always have taken lots of photos. One morning, I had the incredibly liberating realization, that it wasn't necessary to actually bring everything home physically. I know people who will not go back to Africa because they have no room for any more taxidermy. That means they are walking away from a passion because of a lack of space. Jeez - photos are OK! And not paying the taxidermist, importer, exporter, etc will buy you another hunt pretty darn quickly. A lot of guys in the hunting industry get to the point a lot quicker than most of us. My friend Tony Makris has taken two or three dozen buffalo. He is passionate about hunting them. Should he quit hunting them because he doesn't own a gymnasium in which to hang them? Like the meat itself, the horns won't be left in the bush.
Point well taken !
Im only on to my second trip to Africa next year .
I was only ever going to go once , yeah right !!
How to cut costs on the second trip ?
I still want to hunt for two or three weeks with the wife in tow .
Ive decided to only hunt two trophies in that time .
An eland and a top impala .
I will have them mounted but only two wont break the bank .
The rest of the time will be cull animals only .
We will still have a great time with great people and be in Africa for a month .
I have halved the cost of my first hunt by doing this .
You can shoot a lot of cull animals for the price of a trophy !
The hunting is just as hard and enjoyable for a fraction of the price .
Cheers Dory .

Pics and euro mounts certainly cut back on cost. Heck you run out of wall space sooner or later..,

Hi guys
Been scratching on this site for a while and have done some posts, however I have found mostly from feedback from my clients or other fellow hunters that have hunted Africa that there seems to be some confusion regarding total costs or total safari breakdowns, this is a subject that comes up far to often and can leave a bitter taste or a disappointing end to what would have been the perfect safari.

Does all inclusive really mean what it should, and while most or many of these potential costs are not payable to the outfitter we as outfitters could surely prepare our guests for such expenses it would be good to get a complete frame work on this (orn a norm so to speak) I truly believe that it would make the booking process for hunters much easier (less complicated) and remove any uncertainty that there might be, I would like some feedback from hunters and outfitters alike to see what we as a group can come up with.

These could potentially include:
* Pro-forma invoices Dipping packing
* Shipping (pro forma invoice)
* Additional taxes if any
* Taxidermy
* Average on tipping
* Full quote on additional species at time of booking.
* Pricing on additional flights, inland commercial or charter, and if so pricing on overnight guest housing, does this include dinner or only breakfast.
* All services that we truly include whilst on safari, transfers to non hunting activities for wives as well as pricing on those transfers and on activities themselves.
* So called free species(Varmint) any Cities or permit fees should you decide to export
* What does moderation mean (maybe I'm really happy after shooting a big kudu for 2 days? And feel like a party does this still fall under the term moderation, or rather when do I start paying and how much.)
* Possible costs on international airfare, as well as cost on inland flights to designated gateway cities.
* Visa costs if any.
* Pre arranged rifle importation

Keep in mind while I understand that there are allot of variables we (outfitters) also need to remeber that we should truly be able to list all costs directly related to visiting with us or as direct result of taking a trophy or exportable animal,

These are all things that seems simple to us but they are concerns especially for the budget minded hunter, who we all depend on.

My point is that trophies fees and daily rates do by no means constitute a complete breakdown on all safari costs involved, as outfitters do we really give our clients a complete breakdown on all safari costs involved, We are their/your contact/route/gateway to Africa and I feel that Ultimately we as outfitters should be responsible for providing clients potential or booked with all information instead of shrugging it off as non related costs.

No matter which way we cut it in the end is part of safari expenses. Would really appreciate some positive feedback to see where we as outfitters can better ourselves and make the whole booking process less complicated.

Thought it would be good to start this as it is just before Vegas and some other shows.

My best always
Anothe cost in U S is fee for Federal Fish n Widlife to come to delivery before it is opened..May have to wait 2 wks as we did..Cost was 250 each for wife n I on smallbox.4 items

So I'm prepping for my first hunt with Limcroma later this year (Sept). I won the Safari at @ a DCS banquet and it's turning out to be quite an expensive 'free' trip! I'm super excited and my wife says I'm obsessing over everything Africa right now (I've been watching anything Africa on the outdoor channel - Love Carters W.A.R and reading about hunts constantly!). Things like this post are helpful as a first timer trying to figure out what the overall costs are after the free part of my trip! I'm saving every penny I can find!

The cost for several trophies to be imported in not much more than one. You still have USFW inspection, permits, courier, storage, vet inspection and delivery on one and if you have five it's not five times as much,

Guess I got older really fast! Came part way to that realization at about 30yrs old, and the rest came hammering home while planning my first African safari last year at 36! I didn't bring a single thing home and don't regret it one bit! I wasn't going to stay home because I couldn't afford taxidermy nor was I going to spend as much to get tanned skins and bleached skulls back as I could on a cull hunt in South Africa! BTW total cost for my trip including airfare and eBay equivalents to what I harvested- $5000. That's every single expense associated with a full boat 9 day safari.

The cost for several trophies to be imported in not much more than one. You still have USFW inspection, permits, courier, storage, vet inspection and delivery on one and if you have five it's not five times as much,
When I looked into it a single kudu was going to cost me $1800 to get to my door, but only $2500 for 5 animals together, so no not much more. Ultimately decided to not do it at all and am still happy I went!

So I'm prepping for my first hunt with Limcroma later this year (Sept). I won the Safari at @ a DCS banquet and it's turning out to be quite an expensive 'free' trip! I'm super excited and my wife says I'm obsessing over everything Africa right now (I've been watching anything Africa on the outdoor channel - Love Carters W.A.R and reading about hunts constantly!). Things like this post are helpful as a first timer trying to figure out what the overall costs are after the free part of my trip! I'm saving every penny I can find!

You'll have a blast- feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Limcroma. They go above and beyond to ensure your safari is a success.

After 2 trips and bringing everything home I wouldn't change a thing!!! Ain't no such thing as a free lunch my next trip I'm scaling back on bringing home trophies just select a couple and lots of pics!! Be warned 1 Safari just won't cut it. Have fun and everything I have heard about Limcroma is top school. PM me and I can shoot you a list of costs after my most recent hunt with KMG minus the taxidermy costs which is in motion as we speak. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

After 2 trips and bringing everything home I wouldn't change a thing!!! Ain't no such thing as a free lunch my next trip I'm scaling back on bringing home trophies just select a couple and lots of pics!! Be warned 1 Safari just won't cut it. Have fun and everything I have heard about Limcroma is top school. PM me and I can shoot you a list of costs after my most recent hunt with KMG minus the taxidermy costs which is in motion as we speak. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

Good day, GG. I wouldn't mind a copy of your cost list, as I'm in the planning stages now. I just booked with KMG for 2019.

LiegeRiver

As most folks here know I'm a big fan of taxidermy. I can see running out of room one day and I am damn near close. That's why I bought a bigger place in Georgia:A Shades:. But seriously There will one day come a time where photos will be it. Until then hell I m "stuffing" them!

Thank you Mr Jaco!
Great thread. Especially for a first time planning hunter to Africa as I’m.
What is the true, I have to do this as cheap as possible, so the knowledge is the key. :)
I’m reading every word very carefully. :)

The list below is extremly helpful!
Thank you for it @AfricaHunting.com
Feel free to forward this list to your friend...

Note that my list omitted the fundamental costs such as:

- Hunters' daily rates or hunting packages' costs
- Non-hunting guests' daily rates
- Rests or or transfers' daily rates
- Government tax on daily rates or hunting packages
- Trophy fees
- Government tax on trophy fees
- Possible refunds for animals not taken on hunting packages
- Bird hunting costs
- Fishing costs

Omitted from list below:
- Concession fees
- Airport taxes

Here are some expenses that may also apply...

- Equipment needed for the trip
- Bank charges
- Traveler's cheques costs
- Bank wire transfer costs
- Credit card charges
- Insurance costs (medical, evacuation, travel insurance...)
- Create or revise your will
- Passport
- Visas
- Custom charges
- Doctor visits
- Preventative Medications
- Vaccinations
- Immunizations
- International Certificate of Vaccination
- Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP form # 4457)
- Airport transit permits for weapons
- Overweight or too many luggage costs
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service & CITIES permits for certain sport hunted trophies
- Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Etiologic Agent import permit for certain sport hunted trophies
- Sport hunted trophies export permits
- Hunting licenses
- Hunting permits
- Weapon permits and importations costs
- Ammunition permits and importations costs
- Practice shooting costs
- Fine on wounded trophies
- Accommodations pre/post hunt costs
- Excursions and tours
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages costs
- Ground transportation costs to and from airport
- Charter flights
- Field preparation of trophies costs
- Hiring of weapon and ammunition costs
- Pre-hunt preparation costs (baited hunts)
- Game scouts costs
- Delivery of trophies to local taxidermist in Africa
- Taxidermy and Dip and Pack costs
- Taxes on non exported trophies
- Shipping of Trophies
- Trophy clearing Agent
- Gratuities
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Gift for wife
- Unforeseen expenses...

I am budgeting $21 K for everything, including taxidermy when I go 2021. Planning 8-10 days. I hope to shoot 7 or 8 animals and hope the costs don’t go up much. Anything decent is getting shoulder mounted. I am not sight seeing or taking days away to visit as I will be hunting the whole trip. Won’t be bringing anything back as gifts either. Things change but I factored in package, extra days, rifle rent, ammunition, flight, dip and pack, shipping, insurance, gear need(have most of it now), tips, taxes, misc on hand for unforeseen costs. Of course the shipping and taxidermy is post trip so I have a little extra time for that and may space the taxidermy out some.

I am budgeting $21 K for everything, including taxidermy when I go 2021. Planning 8-10 days. I hope to shoot 7 or 8 animals and hope the costs don’t go up much. Anything decent is getting shoulder mounted. I am not sight seeing or taking days away to visit as I will be hunting the whole trip. Won’t be bringing anything back as gifts either. Things change but I factored in package, extra days, rifle rent, ammunition, flight, dip and pack, shipping, insurance, gear need(have most of it now), tips, taxes, misc on hand for unforeseen costs. Of course the shipping and taxidermy is post trip so I have a little extra time for that and may space the taxidermy out some.
You shouldn't have a problem I've done 7 trips with the wife and hasn't ran me that much and that's including airfare as well.

@justin What are the 7-8 animals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.