What is the TRUE cost of my African Hunting Safari!

Jerome, one more item.
Inland transportation from the port of arrival to Taxidermy shop or clients home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my trophies sent my way from the broker. One sable cape, skull and horns. One duiker cape, skull and horns and impala skull and horns. costs; dip and pack$445,overseas shipping $388.33, import fees, broker fees ect. and truck ship to my address. $713.15 Total 1546.48 Seems like a hell of a lot for such a small shipment!!! Enyesse said he was in the process of being fleeced, I'm thinking more like raped!!

Reactions: BMD
:A Bang Head:$700 for dipping an packing, airfare and permits $668 + all the brokers fees yet in Chicago another $400+ and whatever costs to get it to the taxidermist.

Another thing that was odd was the air freight bill, $388 to Atlanta I told them that I needed it to go to Portland Or. So they refigured the price and still came up with $388 and on the bill of lading it said Joburg to Atlanta then to Portland. Why didn't it cost any extra to ship from Atlanta to Portland? Certainly not complaining but how can you fly freight from Atlanta to Portland for free?

Because it wasn't free to begin with, there is alway wiggle room.

That was exactly my point!

I know Jeff, I'm in a joking mood tonight.

In as much as everyone has a great point, Ivan hit the nail on the head with saying that if one tries to encompass all charges at the onset of the safari, the outcome will not be fair to the hunter due to the tendency to overcompensate without knowing the end result of the safari. One, two, three, twelve trophies....who really knows? Shoulder mount, European mount, Full mount--how many times will the hunter change their mind until after the harvesting of the trophies? The real answer is to educate the hunter before he/she departs for their adventure. Traditionally, this role rests with the Outfitter but the outfitter can only do so much and with all the good intentions, there are others involved which have their own objectives such as the dip/packer/taxidermists, exporter/shipper and US broker. All of whom are independent businesses. Bridging the gap between all entities is what has been missing in this industry and it is the sole reason we exist. This is why we are a value add to the Outfitter, the dip/packer/taxidermist, and exporter/shipper. Imagine the hunter having a single point of contact across all these processes and monitoring the shipment such that the hunter knows exactly where their trophies are at any point after the hunt? Imagine having the hunter be able to call someone who they get to know before they leave on the hunt and help them budget by assisting in getting various quotes? Sounds too good to be true? Well this is all we live and breathe and yes, basically we act on behalf of the client to make sure their trophies come home safely and as economically as possible.

I harvested the following on my 2014 Safari

Lioness
Giraffe
Zebra
Gemsbok
Kudu
Bushbuck
Steinbok
Impala x3
Warthog x3

• Dip and ship - $4,900
• Taxidermy - $7,000 (at cost, as I have a taxidermist who does all my customers work so he owed me a solid)
• Airfare $,1700 - DFW to ATL to JHB
JHB to PARIS to ATL to DFW
• Safari $22,600 - 13 animals
• Tips & Souvenirs $1,000

$37,500

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
I went last June spent $10k trophies/day fees and all taxes included, I spent 5K for two tickets to jberg and then on to Windhoek, i spent 2500 at taxi in Windhoek including tan on giraffe cape, (tip: you guys getting shoulder mounts have skulls capped instead of saving entire skull for your taxi to saw off save about $90/per skull, I spent $2500 shipping home, did not use broker cleared myself, easy if you have couple hours you can kill. I spent $175 at afton house including dinner and breakfast, $125 for gun permits, I paid for global insurance and used travel agent which was few hundred dollars. Spent a lil money on gifts for momma :). Will spend approx 10k more on taxi but giraffes are expensive to mount. I left 1500 in tips between ph, tracker, and staff

I left out we shot giraffe, black wildebeest, warthog, waterbuck, impala, giraffe, gemsbok, kudu, baboon and jackals, blue wildebeest

As a Newbie going on my first hunt a year out I allready feel a budget Pinch just piecing together the equipment,,,Binos,,a decent Camera,,an approved Gun Case etc,,,,let alone the price of transportation and the Hunt itself I,m starting to think the Hunt itself is a Bargain compared to equipping yourself,,,,that being said I,m on my way to Cabelas to look and try on some hunting shoes and a jacket they have on sale
Try the bargain cave in Cabellas....great buys in there for tight budgets!

I have enjoyed this blog immensely. but hunting Africa is NOT cheaper than a big game hunt in the US. I understand the math guys use to quantify their expenses, but I can go anywhere in North America, and hunt three species for less than 27000, and that is a fact. In spite of this obvious difference I still want to hunt Africa, but it is apples to oranges with North America, and even South America, Africa is diverse, stunning with wildlife, and EXPENSIVE

I have enjoyed this blog immensely. but hunting Africa is NOT cheaper than a big game hunt in the US. I understand the math guys use to quantify their expenses, but I can go anywhere in North America, and hunt three species for less than 27000, and that is a fact. In spite of this obvious difference I still want to hunt Africa, but it is apples to oranges with North America, and even South America, Africa is diverse, stunning with wildlife, and EXPENSIVE
I shot 26 animals in Namibia and only spent about $40,000 US dollars .
I was there for a month and took my wife as well .
Sure it cost me a bit more to get all mt trophys home .
But thats understatable as its a long way from Africa to NZ
I went to Africa as I could not afford to hunt in America .
So Im not sure why you are saying it is so Expensive ?
You dont have to stay in 5 star lodges and drink champagne every night .
You could book some of the specials advertised on here and have a ball hunting in Africa for a couple of weeks .
And not break the bank .
Cheers Dory .:D Beers:

I disagree as well there are lots of plainsgame hunts that you can do well under $27,000.
2015 I took my son we took 22 animals. about $18.000 on hunt $17,400 on taxidermy shipping was $7600
Customs broker charged $900 airfare was $4666. Adds up to a lot but in all reality you split that into basically 2 payments as long as you say it real fast its not that much. lol So total $48566 turn key . 2 Full mounts, 1 rug, 17 backskins, 17 Shoulder mounts (giraffe). Time in the field with your son....PRICELESS
2016 went back 4 animals, shoulder mounts and backins all in $9065 door to door

......... So total $48566 turn key . ................

Head up for a Stone Sheep hunt and we can take care of that budget with one animal. Plus expenses.

Last edited:
I love hunting in Africa but when some asks me about the costs.....well, lets talk about the memories, I don't even want to quantify the money spent. I just bought plane tickets this year that was tough enough to swallow.

Memories $ priceless
Lessons learnt $ unforgettable
Sights seen $ only in Africa
Friends made ? For life !!!
Cost ? Who cares !!!
Want to go back ? In a flash !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg