What is it about 404 Jeffery?

Exactly why we will have the 404 in the line up this coming year!!

Ron that is welcome news, and a decision I'm sure that neither you nor Montana Rifle Co. will regret. Do you have any idea which of your rifles will be available in 404 Jeffery or what the price will be?

Last edited by a moderator:
409..............because the world isn't ready for 410

C253EB97-EFA9-4568-BB50-855E025AE4A7.jpeg
I like my 404
It has Taken 2 little buffalos

Nice looking rifle, who built it? If a CZ what did it take to get it working properly?

Transition pre 64 win it was a 300 HH action
Steve Baldwin gun smith Mike Kuffler on the stock
Feeds good

I originally was tossing up between the 404J and 416Rigby. Came down to availability and cost. 416R for $1600 Aussie Dollars or a 404J for 4000 Aussie Dollars. The 404 recoil is easier but in the end both do the job and do it well.

Yep. Availability of the larger English calibers is much of a muchness there in Oz. Not exactly common in your average gunshop. And the price difference between the standard 550 magnum and the 550 Safari Magnum didn't help either. That combined with the importer not accepting special orders based on the premise "there's no market for it" and "it's not worth our time" was pretty much the final nail when it came time to try and buy a 404 off the shelf.

Still, they are out there, but harder to find v the more common 375 H&H and 458 WM.

@Lowry: How many does it hold, 3+1? I definitely like the sleek lines. Wood is almost too good to dare bring outdoors.

Yep. Availability of the larger English calibers is much of a muchness there in Oz. Not exactly common in your average gunshop. And the price difference between the standard 550 magnum and the 550 Safari Magnum didn't help either. That combined with the importer not accepting special orders based on the premise "there's no market for it" and "it's not worth our time" was pretty much the final nail when it came time to try and buy a 404 off the shelf.

Still, they are out there, but harder to find v the more common 375 H&H and 458 WM.

Yes Winchester Australia did/do themselves no favours.
If I was after a 404J now I would pick up a CZ550 in 375 and semi customize that or just get the spare M17 I have in the safe converted to 404J.

Rule 303, I'm confused by your post. Some Winchesters can readily be converted to 404 Jeffery(s) CRF and all by a competent gun smith. It is CZ that has the 404 Jeffery available from their custom shop for a significant jump in price over their standard offerings in 416 Rigby and 375 H&H. Sorry if I'm missing something here.

Rule 303, I'm confused by your post. Some Winchesters can readily be converted to 404 Jeffery(s) CRF and all by a competent gun smith. It is CZ that has the 404 Jeffery available from their custom shop for a significant jump in price over their standard offerings in 416 Rigby and 375 H&H. Sorry if I'm missing something here.

Shootist43 I am a little confused by your post in that are you referring to my last post or an earlier one?

I will try and clear things a bit or maybe muddy the waters even more.
When I bought my 416Rigby, Winshiter Australia -the mane they have earned themselves in Australia due to lack of service and stock - was not making the new M70 in 375 etc.

If referring to my last post see the name Winshiter, might explain why I won't normally buy one of their products if I can avoid it. + I already have an M17 action sitting in the safe + the CZ550 375 is cheaper than a Model 70. Though Winchester bring the CZ's into Aust they tend to look after the CZ product range better than their own. So much so I feel that if CZ changed their agent Winchester Aust would close. All in all it is a shame as Winchester have some good products.

I must also admit I am not keen on the M70. Nothing wrong with them, good rifles in fact, just all the ones old and new I have tried do not fit or leave me cold. Matter of fact I would advise anybody wanting one to buy it in the not to distant future. With the way Winchester is selling their new push feed and the cost of making the M70 I can see them cutting the range or dropping them in the next few years.

Your experience with Winchester is greatly at odds with mine in Canada and the US. Perhaps you Aussies have kicked them off?

Ticked, fat fingers!

Now everything is clear. Being from the States where Winchester, Remington CZ etc. offer their own lines of firearms. I had no idea that Winchester was importing CZ(s) into Australia. I have a CZ 550 in 404 Jeffery that came out of their custom shop with extra fancy wood and just recently purchased a Winchester Classic that has been converted to 404 Jeffery. The Winchester's wood is just their standard stuff, but it should make a good working rifle. Haven't seen it yet, but hope to some time next week.

Your experience with Winchester is greatly at odds with mine in Canada and the US. Perhaps you Aussies have kicked them off?

:LOL:

No idea why they work the way the do in Aust. When questioned by some at gun shows the attitude is basically, not interested in what you have to say. I sometimes wonder if their parent company in the US knows exactly what their down under branch is doing.

Olin NZ operated as an offshoot of Olin Australia for years (may have been closed by now). About twenty years back, they were asked to get in a Model 70 Sporting Sharpshooter via the Winchester Custom Shop. The response of the clown in Auckland was ‘Oh, that would be a special order!’.

Once the post 1980 Featherweights appeared, that was pretty much all they would order for New Zealand and ... considering the state of USRAC’s hammer swagged (technical vs marketing name) barrels at the time, you can see why Model 70 sales headed downhill and Sako would have taken even more of the market if it wasn’t for the ridiculously high marketing budget in NZ which translates to excessive prices for Sako rifles.

Shootist43 Winchester Aust also import the Browning range and I know the Browning Shotguns lose sales to the Italian brands as their shotguns do not get the sales support they need, nor do their rifles. When you get your M70 404 please put up some pics(y)

ZG47. Yep some blokes over here have tried to place special orders and pay for them at the time of order. No interest from Winshitter to bring in what is a standard order in the US.

ZG47. Yep some blokes over here have tried to place special orders and pay for them at the time of order. No interest from Winshitter to bring in what is a standard order in the US.

Pretty much. I believe the phrase used (even with payment offered up front) was "Not worth my time" from the Winshitter sales rep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg