What Have You Killed with the 7x57

A South Carolina feral hog with my Ruger Hawkeye African (marked .275 Rigby). Sierra 160 gr GameKing over 40 grains of Match Rifle did the trick. Getting ready to hunt Africa!

Nothing yet as I recently aquired my first 7x57 I can’t wait to take her dancing and see how she handles.
C1B8BF2D-9BCB-4BA3-9F53-023B6EB6D2E2.jpeg

So glad to see you’ve taken an Eland with yours. I have 140, 154 and 170 grain. Which did you use for your Eland please?
My 7x57 is my favourite rifle and has taken: Sprinbok (50+), Impala (10), Warthog (7), Kudu(6), Black Wildebeest(1), Gemsbuck(7), Blesbok (4) and Eland (1). My best load is 150gr BarnesTSX @2600fps.

I’m not gonna lie, I’m just a little jealous of the tiger!

Tiger with a 7x57 is not something many people that are still alive have ever done.

You are in a shrinking fraternity.

Really cool.

Tiger with a 7x57 is not something many people that are still alive have ever done.

You are in a shrinking fraternity.

Really cool.
Believe me. I’d much rather have preferred to use a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and 300Gr Nosler Partitions. The striped bastard wouldn’t have needed 3 hours to die and would have spared me and my men one hell of a tracking job. Luckily, we found him about 30 minutes before sundown.

Believe me. I’d much rather have preferred to use a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and 300Gr Nosler Partitions. The striped bastard wouldn’t have needed 3 hours to die and would have spared me and my men one hell of a tracking job. Luckily, we found him about 30 minutes before sundown.

Obviously the bullet makes a big difference, but I have noticed strengths and weaknesses with the 7x57 and the 7x64 both using the same bullets. The advantage of the 7x57 is moderate velocity which allows for a slow wound channel, typically good expansion even in thin skinned animals. The 7x64 is a considerable uptick in velocity which allows it to do amazing things. My young son used a 7x64 when he was 9 on a mature eland and the bullet did expand and zip right into the heart, however it did not make a drop of blood and tracking was slow. On the other hand, the 7x64 is moving so fast it doesn't work very well on deer in the event of a broadside shot that hits no bones...passes through like a solid.

For these reasons, I love using my 7x57mm and for the other reasons, my son uses his 7x64mm with the very same projectiles but with different effects.

Obviously the bullet makes a big difference, but I have noticed strengths and weaknesses with the 7x57 and the 7x64 both using the same bullets. The advantage of the 7x57 is moderate velocity which allows for a slow wound channel, typically good expansion even in thin skinned animals. The 7x64 is a considerable uptick in velocity which allows it to do amazing things. My young son used a 7x64 when he was 9 on a mature eland and the bullet did expand and zip right into the heart, however it did not make a drop of blood and tracking was slow. On the other hand, the 7x64 is moving so fast it doesn't work very well on deer in the event of a broadside shot that hits no bones...passes through like a solid.

For these reasons, I love using my 7x57mm and for the other reasons, my son uses his 7x64mm with the very same projectiles but with different effects.
Indubitably.
I used this on the tiger in ‘89.
A9D67380-D529-44DE-B53B-BEA67704C0F0.jpeg
81E2E3D3-F541-4A54-8099-D45F5ABE9AD2.jpeg

Outstanding. Were you allowed to keep the hides?
Unfortunately, no. The hides had to be returned to the Ministry of Forests (as per government policy). But I can take a photo for you. The hide of the last man eater which I shot (in 1989), is currently at the Museum of Natural History in Satkhira. Along with the tag (the kill-order issued for the man eater by the Ministry of Forests).

I was allowed to keep the teeth, though. I still have them and posted a picture of them here, last year.

What a great experience. Thank you for
Sharing your memories with us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyHandley

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.