What Have You Killed with the 7x57

Ill add my share of limited expirence with the 7x57. Mine was in a Ruger No.1 single shot (no longer have it, sold it to fund other rifles). 175gr Hornady Interlocks at 2600 fps. Recently bought a Brazilian Mauser 1935 long rifle to replace it.

zI33Qrr.jpg
rrxBMMB.jpg
T5GxqfY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting for my license on my new CZ550 7x57 and then I will have to play catch up!!

I hit an estate sale jackpot today I picked up 150 Hornady 154 grain roundnose soft points and 100 pieces of Hornady 175 grain round nose soft points.
Those 175 gr Hornaday RN bullets are my favorite For the 7X57.
One left a 2” exit hole in a nice Whitetail deer & a 2” hole through her heart, she went 30 yds. I was hunting from a blind & had ranged her at 130yds.

One left a 2” exit hole in a nice Whitetail deer & a 2” hole through her heart, she went 30 yds. I was hunting from a blind & had ranged her at 130yds.
Do you load your own or shoot commercial ammo? If commercial what brands? I only ask because I have several boxes of Remington 175 grain corelocs.

Do you load your own or shoot commercial ammo? If commercial what brands? I only ask because I have several boxes of Remington 175 grain corelocs.
I load my own.
The Rem. Corelocs are a fantastic bullet & at 7x57 velocities perform as well as most premium bullets.

I use them loaded to about 2550 fps for bushveld shooting in my FN 7X57. I have shot game up to Kudu,Blue Wildebeest and Waterbuck with them and have found them to be good performers. I think that at that speed they have good penetration and they expand quite well. I recovered this one from a frontal shot on a large Waterbuck bull. The bull dropped immediately to the shot.
I didn’t weigh it but it looks like it retained much of its weight.
5866EB7B-8D91-4F12-AAB2-122B2D225412.jpeg
66BBC23D-0C92-47AD-82B8-BDC2861F6424.jpeg

As per posts header...nothing yet but working on it.....as @Kevin Peacocke said you have to name your rifle after the first animal it takes....am trying to get it right.... :E Big Grin:

Well as I just put on Kevin's new thread about gun names and titles....i think I got it right today....not big.. but a really old sable bull ..used norma 156 grn Oryx...very impressed...smashed shoulder..through heart and was found on other side in the meat after passing through the ribs...and feels like retained most of its weight ...tried loading bullet photos but on go slow..so will try other time

IMG-20220806-WA0014.jpg

I was quite impressed with the performance on my .275 Rigby. They are well pretty much one shot kills, other than the insurance shot on the gemsbok and crocodile. Not too shabby for a 1927 rifle!
IMG_9352 .jpg
IMG_9395 .jpg
IMG_9825 .jpg
IMG_0860 .jpg

Well as I just put on Kevin's new thread about gun names and titles....i think I got it right today....not big.. but a really old sable bull ..used norma 156 grn Oryx...very impressed...smashed shoulder..through heart and was found on other side in the meat after passing through the ribs...and feels like retained most of its weight ...tried loading bullet photos but on go slow..so will try other time

View attachment 481398
Nice one! Here’s my best one. But I didn’t own my 7x57mm when I took him. I used my white hunter’s BRNO ZKK600 in .30-06 Springfield and a 220Gr Remington Core Lokt.
D2181E6E-DA0F-4475-B2BB-6BC99357DF17.jpeg

View attachment 481398

Bullet photos

20220806_163224.jpg

20220806_163238.jpg

20220806_163208.jpg

20220806_163249.jpg

.....nothing as exotic as some of our members. I started with a BRNO u/o 7x57R-12G combination that I bought for my father ( he would sit with it on the bank of the river while my mother was fishing in the far north with buffalo behind him and crocs in the water ... just in case ) which he shot camels, donkeys and quite a few goats with. I used it for goats and pigs and then I converted a No.1 Lee Enfield to the 7x57R for goats, pigs and a couple of fallow...all with some very old S&B 140gr softpoints......my rough and ready smellie !

2z03HZY.jpg

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
.....nothing as exotic as some of our members. I started with a BRNO u/o 7x57R-12G combination that I bought for my father ( he would sit with it on the bank of the river while my mother was fishing in the far north with buffalo behind him and crocs in the water ... just in case ) which he shot camels, donkeys and quite a few goats with. I used it for goats and pigs and then I converted a No.1 Lee Enfield to the 7x57R for goats, pigs and a couple of fallow...all with some very old S&B 140gr softpoints......my rough and ready smellie !

View attachment 481651

Roger

Neat rifle :D Beers:

While hunting in Wyoming my friend shot a moose with his 7X57 using 140 grain Sierra SP at an estimated 125 yards . Shot it three times; never flinched. We looked at each other with that “What the Heck” look. Didn’t know to what to do, reload and keep shooting or take the bolt out too see if the bullets were still in the barrel. Hahaha. Moose dropped dead in its tracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you