What Have You Killed with the 7x57

I have used the 7x57 for several deer. I finally was able to use my Rigby .275 in Africa this past August while hunting Takeri in Zambia with brother Mike @spike.t. Worked just like it has for the last hundred years.

Sable Hunting Zambia

Puku  Hunting Zambia

Kafue Lechwe Hunt Zambia

And it really is one of the quintessential choices for whitetail.
White-tailed Deer Hunting In Hill Country

This was one of two Record Book Peters' Gazelles I killed with my sporterized Czech G33/40 in Kenya in 1974. shortly before all hunting was banned. The ammunition was Winchester 160 grain round nose, if my memory does not deceive me.

The rifle also accounted for an assortment of plains game, up to and including two brindled wildebeest, one taken in full stride as he ran past. Both were one shot kills.
Peters' gazelle 001 (2).PNG
BRNO G33-40.png

'Used mine to great effect, killing factory 7x57 ammo to fireform cartridges in the chamber to 7x57 Ackley Improved. Same ballistics as the 280 AI and nearly 7 mag performance in a SA. The AI (acquired and improved just prior to COVID) has taken a bunch of deer thus far, but the back of my mind keeps saying "endemic Tanzanian PG!" The beauty of the AI cartridges is that std factory ammo can be used in a pinch (just lower P and resultant V.) 3,100 fps using 140 gr pills and 3,250 using 130s (these obv being deer bullets.) In Africa, the 140 would be "ok," but I'd likely gravitate to ultra-high quality 150-160 gr or 175s. I've yet to see if the 175s stabilize in this particular gun (as many std twist barrels, such as my neighbor's sporterized Mauser will Not allow it.) This one is a Montana 1999 action, coated aftermarket SS bbl, Timney trigger, Tubbs pin/spring, action bedded, Silvers pad and a stock from some guy's M70 out West. Based upon my African experience, I'd use it on everything from dik-dik to Kudu, croc, it'd be OK for leopard but there are better calibers for that. Anything larger (even Kudu can be 750 lbs!!!) I'd consider something else. I understand what our heroes Bell, Jameison, et. al. had to do with respect to the big stuff, but we have better choices now! I love this cartridge and gun! Admittedly, it was naughty to have it out in a snowstorm, but when I was a kid there were no stainless/synthetic guns, and by some miracle the blued, wood jobbers still managed to survive (with proper post-hunt care). Deer was its maiden voyage in Dec '19. 299 yds, frontal-quartering left, dropped like a rock at the shot. I was impressed! (Same effect of its little brother the .257 AI (.257-7x57 AI) years back!)

Attachments

• IMG_20191002_200545965~2.jpg
    IMG_20191002_200545965~2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 99
  • 7 AI 140 NP 54 4350.jpg
    7 AI 140 NP 54 4350.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20191211_075010031~2.jpg
    IMG_20191211_075010031~2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20220210_124935_2.jpg
    IMG_20220210_124935_2.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
So far paper and steel.

Out of my latest Ruger #1 I shot S&B 173 grain, 140 grain FMJ (for target only) and 139 grain PPU. On steel I took it out to 490 yards with no problem. Not sure when I'll get to hunt with it but I really enjoy shooting that rifle, I should take a photo of it some time.

So far paper and steel.

Out of my latest Ruger #1 I shot S&B 173 grain, 140 grain FMJ (for target only) and 139 grain PPU. On steel I took it out to 490 yards with no problem. Not sure when I'll get to hunt with it but I really enjoy shooting that rifle, I should take a photo of it some time.
Greetings. The #1 is factory twist. How did the 173s group?? "I gotsta know!" -Criminal with Dirty Harry's gun pointed in his face

@NE 7x57 I too am interested in how the 173 gr S&B grouped. I have 4-5 boxes and I believe my Win Mod 70 is 1-9.5 twist rate. The weather has been great lately, so I might just head to the range on Friday and give them a try. If the 173 gr group well, then I might try loading the 175 gr ELD-X that I have. I'd like to get my hands on some 175 gr Swift A-Frames.

@NE 7x57 I too am interested in how the 173 gr S&B grouped. I have 4-5 boxes and I believe my Win Mod 70 is 1-9.5 twist rate. The weather has been great lately, so I might just head to the range on Friday and give them a try. If the 173 gr group well, then I might try loading the 175 gr ELD-X that I have. I'd like to get my hands on some 175 gr Swift A-Frames.

The 175 A-Frame is incredible at bushveld distances. As stated previously in this string, I have experienced many 1 shot kills that pass completely through zebra/wildebeest/kudu.

I picked up a new to me 7x57 from a gentleman on the forum last year, bringing my count to three. It’s actually a River No. 1 in .275 Rigby. It has quickly won a favored spot in the gun room and has been blooded on multiple coyotes and a decent 8 pt. I am really enjoying the compact size for still hunting and climbing in and out of blinds.

Image1644550018.923747.jpg

The buck on the left fell to the .275. The buck on the right is a Coues deer taken with a long range rig in .325.

S
I recently took two nice whitetails in south Texas, using 139 gr Hornady GMX. I have a variety of 150 gr Partions, 160 gr Swift A Frames and 162 gr and 175 gr ELD-X bullets to work up some various loads. Planning to take the 7x57 on a Wyoming antelope hunt later this year and a 2023 sable hunt in Zam with @spike.t

View attachment 452009

View attachment 452011

The recovered 139 gr GMX weighed 96.2 grs for 69.2% weight retention.

I recently took two nice whitetails in south Texas, using 139 gr Hornady GMX. I have a variety of 150 gr Partions, 160 gr Swift A Frames and 162 gr and 175 gr ELD-X bullets to work up some various loads. Planning to take the 7x57 on a Wyoming antelope hunt later this year and a 2023 sable hunt in Zam with @spike.t

View attachment 452009

View attachment 452011

The recovered 139 gr GMX weighed 96.2 grs for 69.2% weight retention.

View attachment 452012
Surprising that the GMX lost so much weight with the mild 7x57!

I have used the 7x57 for several deer. I finally was able to use my Rigby .275 in Africa this past August while hunting Takeri in Zambia with brother Mike @spike.t. Worked just like it has for the last hundred years.

Sable Hunting Zambia

Puku  Hunting Zambia

Kafue Lechwe Hunt Zambia

Nice trophies Red Leg! What bullets were you using?

I went to the range today and tried the 173 gr S&B. My rifle seemed to like them. The one hole off to the right was the first shot, so I am claiming that as a fouler. So the 4 shot group is really nice and I can't complain even about the 5 shot group. Shooting off a sand bag at 100 yards.

Now if I can only get my hands on some 175 Swift A Frames!

1644614908281.jpeg

Last edited:

Sable Hunting Zambia

Puku  Hunting Zambia

Kafue Lechwe Hunt Zambia

@Red Leg , I bet you can look at the photo of you and the sable everyday for the next 20 years and it won't get old. That is a great trophy you took from @spike.t place. I hope to see a sable just like that next year!

@Red Leg , I bet you can look at the photo of you and the sable everyday for the next 20 years and it won't get old. That is a great trophy you took from @spike.t place. I hope to see a sable just like that next year!

Looking forward to you and yours coming to visit...and the 2 classic calibres that will accompany you ... :D Beers:

I went to the range today and tried the 173 gr S&B. My rifle seemed to like them. The one hole off to the right was the first shot, so I am claiming that as a fouler. So the 4 shot group is really nice and I can't complain even about the 5 shot group. Shooting off a sand bag at 100 yards.

Now if I can only get my hands on some 175 Swift A Frames!

View attachment 452297
Those sellier and bellot look very good ;):A Thumbs Up:

The 7x57 is my favourite. First a mannlicher stocked M98, meanwhile a Mauser 66Stutzen and a Sauer Drilling in 7x57R/16 are my main go to guns.
Really like the short M66 with it's 98cm overall length. It is topped with a Swarovski 1,5-6x42. A buddy is reloading the ammunition for me, using 175 grs Nosler Partition.
Shot Racoons, Foxes, Roe deer, hogs and fallow deer up to now. The 175 NP is quite satisfying in this combo.

My 7x57 sporter is built on a Model 93 Spanish Military Mauser which was chambered to use 175 grain RN military ammo , thus long throated . Of course 175 grain RN bullets worked fine but I preferred the Hornady 154 gr. RN bullets for deer hunting . With the 154 gr. bullet you could get about 200 fps over the 175 gr. bullet and they seemed to drop deer in their tracks with one shot .
The old 154 gr RN may be discontinued now but Hornady still has a 154 gr. and 162 grain spire points that should work quite well .
I guess I'm one of the few who like RN hunting bullets , shots taken in the deep swampy areas I hunt in seldom exceed 100 yards....50 to 75 yards are more the norm here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois