What have you been doing since you can’t go on Safari?

I started building a deck but now there's a shortage of pressure treated lumber in my area due to the mills being closed for a couple months. Now I'm stalking chipmunks and squirrels with a pellet gun in the yard. Brings back memories of my childhood when I was a wonton murderer of any bird or rodent that dared to enter the family farm lol good times lol

PM sent but just for S&G, this is it. Kreiger 8.25 twist, 6.5x47 Lapua tight neck, BAT B LL, RE action, Jewell BR trigger, Harrel's radial brake, custom stock 4" forend/1/2" flat buttstock. Scope on it now is a Trijicon 5-50x56 Accupower temporary to be replaced by a Nightforce 12-42 BR.

View attachment 360554

That's a honey.

Been tuning rifles and working on the farm. Wearing myself out ona chainsaw quite frankly. I’ve got a fire going that’s been burning hot for two weeks. I’ve got it banked like a giant oven for twenty foot logs.

Wife and I have been extremely fortunate to continue working through all of this.
That said, plans have definitely changed.

We've spent most of our time sighting in our rifles and now shooting off sticks.
Pest control around the house has keep me busy as well.
Mrs BeeMaa is wandering the house, deciding where to put our taxidermy.
We did a little fishing trip in May to replace a vacation.
View attachment 360581

Are those trout?
Nice catch of fish.

20200801_063141.jpg

I like to get outside and enjoy the NM high desert sunrise.

Are those trout?
Nice catch of fish.
Kinda...they are Lake Trout which are in the Char family.
Most Trout are in the salmon family, Lake Trout are the exception.

Bengal, which is a cross between an Asian leopard cat and a tabby. Ruben is a large specimen, definitely alpha male around here. Excellent pets, but can be a challenge with other cats. Loves the Labrador.

Kinda...they are Lake Trout which are in the Char family.
Most Trout are in the salmon family, Lake Trout are the exception.

Very nice! You are absolutely right; lake trout, brook trout, bull trout and dolly varden trout are all char.

I decided to try my hand at refinishing old rifle stocks. Started with an ugly birch stock on my commercial-grade M1 carbine, and then did an old walnut Fajen stock on my sporter Springfield. By the time I got to the 120-year-old stock on my Spanish Mauser, I was getting pretty comfortable with it. Now I’m working on another Fajen stock that came with a bargain-basement FN Mauser I bought.

The wife just handed me a couple of old pocket knives that she got in a bundle of antiques she bought; I guess that’s the next project.

Very nice! You are absolutely right; lake trout, brook trout, bull trout and dolly varden trout are all char.
I knew there were others, just not off the top of my head. ;)

Reactions: WAB
@shootist~ what are you shooting? Nice photo there!

@BeeMaa that stringer of trout made me hungry. How did you cook them?
We debone the leftover trout after dinner and put it in a cream cheese mix with whatever spice sounds good. It makes a great sandwich the next day.

Thanks @Tra3. The phone pic turned out better than expected.
It's a CZ 550 9.3x62 I picked up this spring. Out yesterday morning bright and early.

@BeeMaa that stringer of trout made me hungry. How did you cook them?
We debone the leftover trout after dinner and put it in a cream cheese mix with whatever spice sounds good. It makes a great sandwich the next day.
We had about 45# of fillets after 4 days of fishing.
All of the Lake Trout got brined (2 parts brown sugar & 1 part salt) and smoked.
We smoke it skin side down and the skin peels right off after smoking it.
Allow to cool for about half an hour and break it into meal size portions.
Vacuum seal, label it and freeze, although we did give some away.
We really like the tail pieces because there are less bones and it's a little smokier.
The Brown Trout got put in the freezer (uncooked) to be cooked on the grill this summer.
1596482327859.png

Wow, Craig Bone is good. Do you own any of Larry Norton's w

A Rigby Big Game? Wow! Please send pictures
Must say I don’t know these artists- I have a few Jeff Huntly originals and a Peter Birch. (Landscapes) pure wildlife art is not my cup of tea but on that note Kim Donaldson deserves an honorable mention.
I believe he relocated to South Florida .

We had about 45# of fillets after 4 days of fishing.
All of the Lake Trout got brined (2 parts brown sugar & 1 part salt) and smoked.
We smoke it skin side down and the skin peels right off after smoking it.
Allow to cool for about half an hour and break it into meal size portions.
Vacuum seal, label it and freeze, although we did give some away.
We really like the tail pieces because there are less bones and it's a little smokier.
The Brown Trout got put in the freezer (uncooked) to be cooked on the grill this summer.
View attachment 360858
Looks delicious.

Bengal, which is a cross between an Asian leopard cat and a tabby. Ruben is a large specimen, definitely alpha male around here. Excellent pets, but can be a challenge with other cats. Loves the Labrador.

Should have read to the end before asking. ;)

Great looking cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!