What have you been doing since you can’t go on Safari?

Mostly just work, as much as possible to build money for when things open up. Afraid to plan anything else until I'm sure if current plans are gonna happen. First safari scheduled in April 2021 and totally paid for.
Finally got to go shooting and dialed in my first 375 with 300gr tsx.
I'm booked for a 2022 hunt as well so can't spend money in the states I might need later

Watching a lot of African hunting videos on youtube and the Outdoor channel.
Practicing at the rifle range with my new 416 Rigby to get ready for my July 2021 hunt in Limpopo, SA.
If I don't flinch, the Rigby shoots real straight. Tight groups at 100 yards. If I flinch it's off the paper.
And enjoying the mounts from my 2018 and 2019 hunts.
Also shooting clays and getting ready for the start of dove hunting season in Texas on Sept. 1.

I think I have now watched just about every YouTube hunting video Myself!

I'm doing the usual, hunting groundhogs all summer, trips to the range two or three times a week, now getting ready for early archery deer season. In between, rebarreled and restocked a Remington XP-100 and built a LR BR rifle.

@Hogpatrol tell us about the LR BR. Would be very interested in the details. Might do something like that when I retire. The shooting range I belong to has a 1000 yard range, which is a bit intimidating to look at.

Planning an Ibex hunt in Spain :Happy:

I got into Sporting Clays. Just got some ammo to last a few months. ;)

1596301449245.png

@Hogpatrol tell us about the LR BR. Would be very interested in the details. Might do something like that when I retire. The shooting range I belong to has a 1000 yard range, which is a bit intimidating to look at.
PM sent but just for S&G, this is it. Kreiger 8.25 twist, 6.5x47 Lapua tight neck, BAT B LL, RE action, Jewell BR trigger, Harrel's radial brake, custom stock 4" forend/1/2" flat buttstock. Scope on it now is a Trijicon 5-50x56 Accupower temporary to be replaced by a Nightforce 12-42 BR.

IMG_20200801_171139573.jpg

Besides mauling the gun auction sites, I've been spending serious amounts of time at the reloading bench working up loads.
Every Friday it's 3-4hrs of range time testing said loads.
Toss in a few fishing and local hunting trips and that about rounds out what the last few months have looked like on our end.

Hobby Beekeeping with my kids.
Clearing land and setting up a round pen so the horses can go to the family lake place.

I feel more tied to the office than normal because of the uncertainty.

My fall hunts are still planned, Idaho elk hunting is a mere 40 Days away, so I better get to practicing.View attachment 360475
Wouldn't mind having a hive on my place. I have honey bees on the apple blossoms in the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit the range once a week. Do some reloading. Watch African hunting shows or YouTube videos. Started rebuilding part of the deck. Other than that, the usual household chores.
2020 SUCKS! If COVID wasn’t enough, the wife has been having some issues and I tore up my knee plus I’m going to need some eye surgery. The hits just keep on coming.
On the plus side, before all of this started I attended SCI and decided what hunts I’m going to do when this COVID crap is over.

Trying desperately to avoid buying in any new firearms. Need to save money f ou r May 2021 safaris.

Getting some reloading and shooting done with all my firearms and bow.

Prepping for Sept 1st, opening morning for goose and at noon opening of dove season.

I was successful on getting two quota deer hunt dates and preparing for the upcoming deer hunting seasons.

Until all this rain set in, I was getting some boating time in and doing some scouting of hunting areas only accessible by boat.

Re positioned my 2017 and 2018 African animal mounts around the house, while doing a thorough house cleaning.

Learning to live with no income! Cleaning Rifles, Working on Cruisers. Anti poaching. Paying workers. Answering e-mails. Looking at concessions for the future that lease holders have defaulted on in 2020.

Learning to live with no income! Cleaning Rifles, Working on Cruisers. Anti poaching. Paying workers. Answering e-mails. Looking at concessions for the future that lease holders have defaulted on in 2020.
Thanks for all you do, and to all the other safari operators. I hope it all opens up soon and abundantly for you all.

Wife and I have been extremely fortunate to continue working through all of this.
That said, plans have definitely changed.

We've spent most of our time sighting in our rifles and now shooting off sticks.
Pest control around the house has keep me busy as well.
Mrs BeeMaa is wandering the house, deciding where to put our taxidermy.
We did a little fishing trip in May to replace a vacation.
1596360209280.png

Not to much doing, But, mostly I have been working on rebuilding the Landcruiser. Its now looking much better than when I started 3 or 4 months ago its been my Corona project. This is what it looks like now. I won't share a before photo.
I still have a few things to do on it such as connecting up the new gauges and fitting the winch. The new spray job was finished off last week and now fitted the new trees and wheels.
As this thing looks like continuing looks like I will start on another car I have string around.
At lease I can still buy boozzz Cheers

IMG_20200802_151651.jpg

So, it’s been a strange year to say the least. I have worked all my life to be able to pursue my dreams and now I am told I can’t. We had a safari for my son canceled so I have been looking for an outlet to satisfy my love for the African Continent. I have somewhat satisfied my desire with buying wildlife art, the latest by Zimbabwean artist Craig Bone. . What are you doing to satisfy your desires?View attachment 360456
John Ed,
I’m so fortunate as I got to hunt Cameroon early in the year then take Jennifer on an anniversary trip to S Pacific. Then I had nothing else planned for the rest of the year.
I didn’t have any big gobblers out here so no turkey hunting for us his year. I’ve guided some trophy Axis hunts and done some of my own venison hunting for exotics this summer. Of course I’ve had my nose to the grindstone with just ranch work!
Now I’m keeping busy putting together folks to go on safari with me.
I hope one day to own some original oil paintings of African wildlife. For now just have to keep dreaming.
Regards
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg