What has become of the Purdey bolt rifle?

Kevin Peacocke

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I had the pleasure about 18 months ago when in London to handle Purdey's bolt rifle. It was certainly beautiful, excellent wood, and from what I recall the balance was good. It sports an in-house Mauser type action and is reputed to be super accurate. If I recall that very rifle was in 30-06.
Has anyone heard news about it?

They still exist, to my knowledge.

Built on Mayfair mauser style actions, free float barrels and with a metal chassis system hidden in the (pretty, walnut) stock.

My ultimate bolt rifle. Unfortunately, and unlike Rigby, they only do them as a full custom 'London Best' piece, without condescending to do a cheaper 'semi-custom' version for us plebs. Amazingly you don't see too many about... Lovely things though.

They still exist, to my knowledge.

Built on Mayfair mauser style actions, free float barrels and with a metal chassis system hidden in the (pretty, walnut) stock.

My ultimate bolt rifle. Unfortunately, and unlike Rigby, they only do them as a full custom 'London Best' piece, without condescending to do a cheaper 'semi-custom' version for us plebs. Amazingly you don't see too many about... Lovely things though.
If I recall it was around 24 thousand pounds, with a Swarovski scope, which is more than a Rigby, but not ridiculous for such a beauty. Funny enough I did ask the manager, cant recall his name, whether they would consider a lower cost, more run of the mill variant and he said that their business model didn't suit that approach. I agree.

If I recall it was around 24 thousand pounds, with a Swarovski scope, which is more than a Rigby, but not ridiculous for such a beauty. Funny enough I did ask the manager, cant recall his name, whether they would consider a lower cost, more run of the mill variant and he said that their business model didn't suit that approach. I agree.

I'd agree too. Plus there is something nice in hyper exclusive, high end stuff. Makes it all the more satisfying when you do finally get one. £24k isn't too bad in that market really, but by the time you've actually specced it how you want, with nice upgraded wood, a couple nice game scenes, chosen the nice engraved swing off mounts, sorted the case etc etc it's more like £50k, which is probably a different market than a £10-15k Rigby Highland Stalker.

What's nice about Purdy is that they have maintained their status, but have not gone the full-on consumer fashion blitz that H&H has devolved to.

Andrew Ambrose left Rigby to head up sales and marketing at Purdey’s. Great guy, it may have been him you visited with.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.38 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.43 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.45 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.48 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.00.51 AM.png
    813.2 KB · Views: 85
Andrew Ambrose left Rigby to head up sales and marketing at Purdey’s. Great guy, it may have been him you visited with.
I hadn't heard Andrew moved to Purdey. He is a great guy and gave my wife and I great tour at Rigby in 2019. David Immanuel was the guy we visited with at Purdey and is another wonderful gentleman to visit with. He gave us a lot of history and showed us amazing guns and rifles during our visit. The London gun rooms are a great visit.

Given the members' oft-provided opinions of the infamous manbun cartridge, I would be interested to gather some thoughts on this particular offering :E Big Grin:: James Purdey Best Bolt 6.5MB
@Louis Toadvine
A Purdy in 6.5 MB can only be made worse by getting one in 243.
If'n y'all ordered one in either of these calibers thou will be hung, drawn and quartered as well as shot before dawn.
That would be more sacrilegious than Bundy and coke in a can and giving a Vegemite person a Marmite or promite sandwich.
It's just not kosher.
Bob

I have handeled both the Rigby Stalker and the new chassis Purdey bolt rifle.. I cannot for the life of me comprehend that the Purdey deserve such high price, IMHO the Rigby St. is much more stylish and offer so much for so much less money.. Perhaps the Purdey is as super accurate as they claim but that said...I have friends who own and shoot the R. Stalker and the rifles shoot splendidly..

I have handeled both the Rigby Stalker and the new chassis Purdey bolt rifle.. I cannot for the life of me comprehend that the Purdey deserve such high price, IMHO the Rigby St. is much more stylish and offer so much for so much less money.. Perhaps the Purdey is as super accurate as they claim but that said...I have friends who own and shoot the R. Stalker and the rifles shoot splendidly..
@Pondoro
It's the same with all bespoke rifles . The price is in the name on the weapon.
I had a Stevens 200 in 270 win, cost me $350aud that would group 110gn vmax into 0.3 inches at 100 yards and 130gn ACPs into a,bit over qn inch at 200 yards. H&H had a 270 in the showroom for £29,000 that I doubt would have shot any better but it was all in the name.
Bob

@Pondoro
I had a Stevens 200 in 270 win, cost me $350aud that would group 110gn vmax into 0.3 inches at 100 yards and 130gn ACPs into a,bit over qn inch at 200 yards. H&H had a 270 in the showroom for £29,000 that I doubt would have shot any better but it was all in the name.
Bob

Actually they make very little money on the bespoke firearms. I was touring the H&H factory years ago. The factory manager mentioned that he had 1000 skilled craftsman hours in a firearm that was selling for $40,000 (like I said, many years ago!). They were lucky to be breaking even at those numbers. Their big markup and profit is in their clothing line.

In firearms, I suspect that there is more profit margin in the semi custom guns like the highland stalker mentioned above.

@Pondoro
Bob

Those 200's are the epitome of showing how easy and cheap it is to make an accurate rifle. My 223 puts factory Hornady into 3/8", even with me at the controls. Same with handloads. The only improvement is a Timney trigger.

Everything has changed with modern CNC manufacturing, the perfection of metal sculpting and fit can be as good, if not better than any of the bespoke hand crafted guns. So yes, we come down to just the name, and that carries it's own allure. The formula for success of the top end gun makers is to have a good, reasonably priced entey level rifle leveraged on their name. Rigby gets it, so does Heym.

Not only that.
High end rifle, will also have top quality materials, the best wood. (and even regulated mechanical sights). No shortcomings.
No sights - factory gun.

Plastic?
Only factory gun, mass produced.

Magnum action?
high end rifle.

etc

I'd agree too. Plus there is something nice in hyper exclusive, high end stuff. Makes it all the more satisfying when you do finally get one. £24k isn't too bad in that market really, but by the time you've actually specced it how you want, with nice upgraded wood, a couple nice game scenes, chosen the nice engraved swing off mounts, sorted the case etc etc it's more like £50k, which is probably a different market than a £10-15k Rigby Highland Stalker.
I gotta get me a better paying job or hit the mega millions lottery first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg