What gear would you never buy again?

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
The idea is from another forum but is there a piece of equipment that turned out to be a waste?
Maybe it's crap or just became redundant among the gear we "Had to have"

I found it hard to answer and I have bought many gadgets and accessories.

Many quote certain Lee products to have been a waste or something they upgraded. Electronic powder measures got some milage because they failed at just 12-18 months.

There was other stuff.

The one thing that I don't use is the Lock N Load bushings on my Hornady press. I just screw the dies in and out rather than buying a heap of extra bushings.

F-1 Chrony - the thing never works
Yeah, some chronograph s were mentioned. Mine was a good second hand one , no complaints.
But, I've heard some don't like LabRadar. I guess anything can fail or fault.

I had a pair of Irish Setter short boots start to come apart after two weeks of light wear for break in. Unfortunately it happened while I was in Africa. Managed to limp them through but that was the last pair I've had.

A Thompson center bolt action rifle, it might feel solid for a cheap rifle but prepare to be let down. There was a Jim shockey advertisement saying his only complaint about rifle was guides always ask for it. The only reason a guide would want that rifle was if they were floating uncontrollably down a river and needed a paddle and even then it would probably still let them down.

I had a pair of Irish Setter short boots start to come apart after two weeks of light wear for break in. Unfortunately it happened while I was in Africa. Managed to limp them through but that was the last pair I've had.
I always bring super glue with me now for a similar reason. Too easy to pack and too useful when you need it.

A Thompson center rifle, it might feel solid for a cheap rifle but prepare to be let down. There was a Jim shockey advertisement saying his only complaint about rifle was guides always ask for it. The only reason a guide would want that rifle was if they were floating uncontrollably down a river and needed a paddle and even then it would probably still let them down.
Progressive reloading press. Had one that was inconsistant, threw double charges and cost me a good rifle. No satisfaction from the company, either. So much for lifetime warranties.

I didn’t buy it, my wife bought it for me after seeing an ad on TV while I was watching a hunting show several years ago…
A Cough Muffler. When I go hunting she always asks me if I have it. “Yes Dear” It doesn’t work worth crap, so it stays in my accessory box in the basement.

The gunsmithing services of two makers , one of which is in the guild, who otherwise have stellar reputations.

I may not be a gunsmith /machinist, but I know crap when I see it.

I didn’t buy it, my wife bought it for me after seeing an ad on TV while I was watching a hunting show several years ago…
A Cough Muffler. When I go hunting she always asks me if I have it. “Yes Dear” It doesn’t work worth crap, so it stays in my accessory box in the basement.

my brother and i had hours of laughs about that product. Wondered if it could be adapted for wind from the other end, if you get my drift.

For that you need to buy her some roses!

Cheap optics. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois