What gear would you never buy again?

I like my two vortex scopes. I’d say squealing hen turkey call. And you fellas knocking the cough muffler. It helped me kill a few turkeys back in the day when I had coughing spells and was close to turkeys.
That damn cough muffler about blew my head up when I coughed in it the first time haha never again!

Almost everything made in China. Cheap scopes usually made there, cheap clothes made there. I accidentally bought hand sanitizer made there today. Pissed me right off. Nothing against Chinese people, just hate the garbage that comes out of that country. Even the Chinese avoid made in china...

Cheap anything...
Cheap stuff is never cheap, because you'll buy in multiples, and apart from the money, you'll also pay in frustration, time lost and general dissatisfaction.

Almost everything made in China. Cheap scopes usually made there, cheap clothes made there. I accidentally bought hand sanitizer made there today. Pissed me right off. Nothing against Chinese people, just hate the garbage that comes out of that country. Even the Chinese avoid made in china...
Of all the things made in China, the only thing that has really held up and lasted is this damned virus.

Maybe not a very important part... although it is actually important.
Most of our hunting is impossible without rubber boots. Previously, these were ordinary black boots with a smooth outer surface and a slightly fluted sole. And then one day I bought more modern, light, about this kind, only high:

and a year later they broke, burst along the border of the corrugated and smooth surface, on the side where the foot bends. I had three unpleasant days spent in moss swamps with a constantly wet foot. Alas, once I made a similar mistake: I bought isoprene boots with a very brutal sole, with a deep and clear tread pattern. The crack passed along the border of the "cube". And it would seem a simple engineering principle - be careful with stress concentrators.

In the first case, a simple local hunter asked me later: why didn't you drip the hole? I: "What do you mean, 'drip'?? "You roll a plastic bag into a tourniquet and set it on fire; hot drops fall on the hole. Of course, the boot will have to be removed later, but it will last three days."

1036231764.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
my brother and i had hours of laughs about that product. Wondered if it could be adapted for wind from the other end, if you get my drift.
@baxterb
Not long ago we used to cough to cover our farts now with this china flu we fart to cover our cough.
Bob

The only thing I've regretted is the 35Whelen AI. Doesn't do anything a properly loaded Whelen does and more work involved. The AI is good but not as good as its cracked up to be so I will stick with the standard cartridge.
Bob

I have the cough supressor and the new and improved Butt-Out, the latter a good conversation piece and neither is used. Plus 1 on cheap scopes and other optics. Bought a Celestron spotting scope and holes I can see at 500 meters with my 22x Nightforce scope I can't see with the Celestron at any power.
Lead Sled is another loser. Used it for glass bedding then gave it away.

I have the cough supressor and the new and improved Butt-Out, the latter a good conversation piece and neither is used. Plus 1 on cheap scopes and other optics. Bought a Celestron spotting scope and holes I can see at 500 meters with my 22x Nightforce scope I can't see with the Celestron at any power.
Lead Sled is another loser. Used it for glass bedding then gave it away.
Lead sled is great - right up there with microfleece, the thermos bottle, and nuclear energy. Have used one for decades.

Cheap - as opposed to inexpensive - optics. I remember a set of 10x40 Tasco armored binoculars that would give an acholic a headache after 10 mins of use. They were green and they did look a little like the period Zeiss - at a distance.

Any firearm that isn't ready to hunt out of the box. You know who and what I am talking about.

And yes @ActionBob - anything - anything at all - with a Redhead sticker on it.

Last edited:
One girl gave me a useful advice from her father: the desire to sneeze and cough is suppressed if you press hard between your nose and upper lip. He was a sapper during the 2nd World War, and working at night in no man's land - it's better not to make unnecessary sounds. I'm not sure about coughing, but about sneezing, it seemed to me that this method works.

One girl gave me a useful advice from her father: the desire to sneeze and cough is suppressed if you press hard between your nose and upper lip. He was a sapper during the 2nd World War, and working at night in no man's land - it's better not to make unnecessary sounds. I'm not sure about coughing, but about sneezing, it seemed to me that this method works.
Yes it does! Had an ancient NCO teach me the technique in Ranger School. Don't think it helps with a cough.

"The clapper". Every time I use it to turn off the bedroom light, my girlfriend thinks I'm giving her applause her for a job well done. (I want a refund on both).
a friend of mine said that during rough sex in a missionary position, a disco light music also turns out.

I apologize for the offtopic.

Lead sled is great - right up there with microfleece, the thermos bottle, and nuclear energy. Have used one for decades.

Cheap - as opposed to inexpensive - optics. I remember a set of 10x40 Tasco armored binoculars that would give an acholic a headache after 10 mins of use. They were green and they did look a little like the period Zeiss - at a distance.

Any firearm that isn't ready to hunt out of the box. You know who and what I am talking about.

And yes @ActionBob - anything - anything at all - with a Redhead sticker on it.
Strangely enough the only redhead items I have had that have lasted are 4 ripstop button downs I have had for 6 years. They are the only thing that I have from them that has lasted more than about 3 weeks. I am not trying any of their other products.

Newer savage rifles and tasco scopes. Probably Bushnell scopes too although I hesitate because their trail cameras are great and have been for years. I don't like hornady ammo and Henry rifles but I really don't have a whole lot of reasons why lol

Cheap knives and/or cheap sharpeners. I can’t count how many of these I’ve received as gifts…of course that’s after I finally learned that lesson in my younger years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross