What do you think of the new Rigby Shikari?

I found the photo, Heym 89 and the original Gibbs, it doesn’t get more authentic than that.
Credits to JvWView attachment 581516
Thanks a lot for this comparison picture. Very instructive.

I must admit that the Gibbs, "stocked to the fences" is more attractive to me than the Heym.
Perhaps an engineer could enlighten us concerning the reason Heym went with their design. Is it sturdier?

Just looking from the pictures, it also seems that for the Gibbs due to this stocking to the fences, the breaches are closer forward of the triggers. Or in other words, the weight of the action should be more back "between the hands". Any expert would like to give their take on this?

I do not claim to be “the expert”, but after shooting two twin George Gibbs over a 40 year period of time they sure feel well balanced to me.

I have never looked inside a Heym 89 but I was told that the action is mostly located behind the fences as opposed to the table or bar section. Hence the need for more meat back there.

Here are some pics of the prototype’s engraving and case hardening finish . I understand this will be similar to the standard finish .
It looks to be more on the understated side compared to the coin finished version, especially around the fences, a little less is more approach, perhaps more in line with how they looked back in the day.

Got to hold a Shikari 500 NE at the HSC expo today! Really nice.

It looks to be more on the understated side compared to the coin finished version, especially around the fences, a little less is more approach, perhaps more in line with how they looked back in the day

It looks to be more on the understated side compared to the coin finished version, especially around the fences, a little less is more approach, perhaps more in line with how they looked back in the day.
Very close to what they looked like 90 years ago .

No, no, you must tell us more, spill the beans.
Never having picked up a double rifle at all, it was much heavier than I expected, though I suppose I shouldn't have been that surprised. Scrollwork was gorgeous, wood was gorgeous if a bit understated.
I asked him what it was regulated with, and he responded "DGX." I guess I had a puzzled look on my face, and he responded "that's the only kind of bullet we can get for it."

Now I really want a double, but Rigby is just way out of my price range. For that matter, so would be a used Sabatti or Merkel. Oh well. A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's heaven for?

Never having picked up a double rifle at all, it was much heavier than I expected, though I suppose I shouldn't have been that surprised. Scrollwork was gorgeous, wood was gorgeous if a bit understated.
I asked him what it was regulated with, and he responded "DGX." I guess I had a puzzled look on my face, and he responded "that's the only kind of bullet we can get for it."

Now I really want a double, but Rigby is just way out of my price range. For that matter, so would be a used Sabatti or Merkel. Oh well. A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's heaven for?
A Chapuis Elan is a very nice rifle in the same price range as the Merkel!

Jerome told me when I spoke to him in Pretoria that it will all be made in the UK. The UK has many engineering shops that could make the actions for Rigby if that is their plan. But whether it will be a out-house job or Rigby will own the manufacturing facility itself I don’t know. Does anyone have this information?

Hi Kevin, it is my understanding that the same Rigby gunsmiths that build the other Rigby English best rifles - rising bite, falling block, etc. are also building the Shikari and the Shikari is fully hand made and is also an English best rifle. Jerome has strengthened the "new" boxlock action on the Shikari but you would need him to explain the details on that. I think a way to think about it is with the Shikari you are getting the same Rigby quality and craftsmanship as you are with the rising bite but the boxlock action is much cheaper and less time consuming to produce than the side lock action.

For those interested in seeing and touching the Shikari rifle, Rigby will have the prototype you can touch and feel at SCI in Nashville and also a couple of customer "near complete" rifles in a display case you can view

It is a beautiful African morning so I am up early by the fire having my coffee and reading Rigby’s Dagga Boy Vol 1. You have to give it to Rigby, theyv’e got the sniff.
They sure do, if it was not for the financial requirements for doing so, I would probably go all in for either Rigby or Westley Richards when it comes to both bolt action and double rifles :)

They sure do, if it was not for the financial requirements for doing so, I would probably go all in for either Rigby or Westley Richards when it comes to both bolt action and double rifles :)
100% agree with you on the Rigby and Westley Richards. Terribly expensive as bolt actions and far worse as doubles but geez they are good to look at and even better to shoot .

I agree. The Rigby Dagga Boy book project was a great idea. And great for Buffalo genetics and herd health. It’s unfortunate that SCI didn’t change the scoring method and reward mature animals instead of wide immature bulls.
I agree, we need SCI and maybe even Roland Ward to find a way to reward the most mature buffalos as the best trophies to help genetics and herd health.

If they took 78 orders at last years show's and i'm assuming a lot at this years (so far) when they had the prototype then I'm guessint that the wait time must be bumping out quite a lot... There just aren't that many working in the UK who can produce a quality double are there? Did anyone who ordered one at this years shows get a time estimate?

I was able to pick one up while at DSC last week...

it is truly stunning..

Im not in the market for a double (Im pretty sure I'll remain a bolt action and/or single shot guy the rest of my life).. but if I were, and had the sort of cash on hand required for a shikari.. I would certainly entertain the idea..

hard to beat having the name "Rigby" on the side of your rifle.. and again, in execution, it is absolutely stunning..
@mdwest
Save your money mate. I will send you a sharpie permanent marker and you can write Rigby on as many rifles as you like. You did say you would like the name Rigby on a rifle.
Cheap and easy my way. Not as pretty but still has the name.
Bob

I think my friends will certainly agree that you have a way better class of friends than I have. ;)

A beautiful rifle for sure, though likely not on the menu at the places I feed. :E Shrug::D Cheers:
@RandyF
You have a very high class of friends mate. You have ME I'm a University graduate with 2 degrees. That's a high class compared to a 6th grader.
I'm educated and civilised ( I drink beer out of a bottle I open with a bottle opener not my teeth).
I own a 35 Whelen now that's class and I drive a 1997 Nissan 4x4, more class.
So as you can see you have some real classy friends mate
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErrolKish0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.