What do you think of the new Rigby Shikari?

A simple question is the Shikari a better, stronger & more reliable than the 89b Heym or are you paying the extra money for a name?
Well, I ordered mine at last year's show (#11) and should have it in my hand this December if not earlier. I'll let you know. ;)

Also, for most products people pay for the name, otherwise everyone would be wearing a Timex watch, using Chinese smart phones, Vortex scopes and binoculars, and driving Kia cars.

The quality difference vs price is not justified if one looks at it objectively.

However, I, similar to many others, like nice things and am willing to pay for it.

I asked the question not to demean the Rigby. I use a old George Gibbs which is in perfect original condition. My wife uses a new 89b Heym. Which one feels the best to me the Gibbs. Which ones looks and feels the best? The Gibbs, which one is the strongest? I am not a qualified engineer, but I believe the Heym. Which one would I buy today?

Lon

Well, I ordered mine at last year's show (#11) and should have it in my hand this December if not earlier. I'll let you know. ;)

Also, for most products people pay for the name, otherwise everyone would be wearing a Timex watch, using Chinese smart phones, Vortex scopes and binoculars, and driving Kia cars.

The quality difference vs price is not justified if one looks at it objectively.

However, I, similar to many others, like nice things and am willing to pay for it.
Hi Tanks,

I agree with you 100% especially if your buying for personal use. For business appearances are great, but so is utility.
Example, I have always been a landcruiser man, having owned close to 20 of them. Last year we purchased a Mahindra double cab which its main purpose is transporting clients. So far we love it, price 1/5 the price of a new Landcruiser double cab. Sometimes it makes good business since to go with the Timec.

Lon

That’s the engineers question. The artists question may be, is there more handwork vs machine work, is the form more pleasing or true to the original, etc.. Both are valid and, along with the provenance, contribute to an individual’s perceived value. Funny thing about free markets, they’re free.

I agree. Let's face it "British Doubles" have always commanded a premium price for many reasons. Some of which are in the "name". It is pretty clear that in today's double rifle market they have priced the Shikari pretty well given its value, actual or perceived. If that were not the case they would not have sold so many of them in such a short period of time. Only time will tell us if these rifles hold their value over the next several decades. While I do not know this for a fact, I suspect the Shikari is built as strong or stronger than a Heym 89B and it reliability will be as good or better. And I also suspect for those that can afford an 89B or a Shikari many will opt for the Rigby because of the name and that it is a British double. And I say this as a person who loves Heym's and owns a Heym 88B

In answer to Hunter Habib's question - which British gunmakers still make boxlock double rifles - here is a list, possibly with some confusion regarding sidelocks, sideplates, and boxlocks.

Boss (you want to drag a hand-built rifle through the thorns?!)
Lee Butler
E.J. Churchill (according to Donald Dallas, but not mentioned on their web-site)
W.W. Greener
David McKay Brown (very elegant, but apparently >.30 only)
Carl Russell & Co.
Smith and Tokok (essentially rifled shotguns in heavy bores)
Watson Bros.

Others, of course, are Hollands and Purdey - sidelocks only - and Westley Richards.

Two others:

Anderson & Wheeler (produced James Bond's .500 for 'Skyfall'. Use Verney-Carron actions. Apparently near death. No current web-site.)
George Gibbs

Attachments

• Boss & Co. | hand crafted guns.pdf
    10.4 MB · Views: 27
  • Carl Russell and Co – Gunmakers.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 38
  • George Gibbs Ltd.pdf
    701.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Holland & Holland.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 38
  • Home - Watson Bros.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • Lee W Butler Gun maker - Lee Butler Gunmaker.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • McKay Brown Gunmakers - Manufacturers of some of the world's finest sporting guns and rifles.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
  • Smith and Torok , Gun and Rifle Makers.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 36
  • The Gunroom At E.J. Churchill.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 27
  • W.W.Greener.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Westley Richards - Bespoke Guns & Safari Equipment - Est.1812.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 40
In answer to Hunter Habib's question - which British gunmakers still make boxlock double rifles - here is a list, possibly with some confusion regarding sidelocks, sideplates, and boxlocks.

Lee Butler
E.J. Churchill (according to Donald Dallas, but not mentioned on their web-site)
W.W. Greener
Carl Russell & Co.
Watson Bros.

Others, of course, are Hollands and Purdey - sidelocks only - and Westley Richards.

Two others:

Anderson & Wheeler (produced James Bond's .500 for 'Skyfall'. Use Verney-Carron actions. Apparently near death. No current web-site.)
George Gibbs

I was in Carl’s shop recently. A truly fine fellow and excellent gunmaker. I suspect I will be doing more business with Carl in the future.

Lee Butler
W.W. Greener
Carl Russell & Co.
Watson Bros.

Two others:

George Gibbs

I was in Carl’s shop recently. A truly fine fellow and excellent gunmaker. I suspect I will be doing more business with Carl in the future.

That’s the engineers question. The artists question may be, is there more handwork vs machine work, is the form more pleasing or true to the original, etc.. Both are valid and, along with the provenance, contribute to an individual’s perceived value. Funny thing about free markets, they’re free.
The Heym 89b Lon refers to also pays homage to the traditional British double rifle design of a hundred years ago. It is very similar to the Long Bar and one in particular that @JvW posted for us for comparison and I can’t now find. It has a few years under it’s belt now and has proven to be excellent in every way. Reading between the lines of the responses so far it seems that the 89b is the basis for comparison with the Shikari. They are quite different in concept though, so perhaps a listing of the attributes of each as was suggested earlier would be useful.
All I can solidly say so far is that I am very happy to see another double rifle on the market and selling very well at that.

Lee Butler
W.W. Greener
Carl Russell & Co.
Watson Bros.

Two others:

George Gibbs

Charles Lancaster do boxlock and sidelock

Did you see the two that Keith D Thomas produced for an Australian ? Stunning

I probably won't be buying another DR, because my Heym 88b in .470 NE does everything I think I need in a DR.

But, it's nice to know that there are at least 2 gunmakers in the UK that are making DR's

If I win the lottery....

1. Complete the Big 5
2. Ineos Grenadier
3. Rolex - 18K Submariner
4. A British DR

Heck, a guy can dream!

I asked the question not to demean the Rigby. I use a old George Gibbs which is in perfect original condition. My wife uses a new 89b Heym. Which one feels the best to me the Gibbs. Which ones looks and feels the best? The Gibbs, which one is the strongest? I am not a qualified engineer, but I believe the Heym. Which one would I buy today?

Lon
You bought a Heym Lon!

Kevin your right and at a very attractive price.

Lon

The Heym 89b Lon refers to also pays homage to the traditional British double rifle design of a hundred years ago. It is very similar to the Long Bar and one in particular that @JvW posted for us for comparison and I can’t now find. It has a few years under it’s belt now and has proven to be excellent in every way. Reading between the lines of the responses so far it seems that the 89b is the basis for comparison with the Shikari. They are quite different in concept though, so perhaps a listing of the attributes of each as was suggested earlier would be useful.
All I can solidly say so far is that I am very happy to see another double rifle on the market and selling very well at that.
I found the photo, Heym 89 and the original Gibbs, it doesn’t get more authentic than that.
Credits to JvW
3CB9AE4E-5865-40DE-9081-BE7B35D93C6C.jpeg

Wait until December when I post a pic. ;)
Looking forward to see them (y) Is it the same engraving style like on the coin finished one or did you went with a personalized engraving?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IgnacioLie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek