What cartridge have you thought about the most, but never owned a rifle in it?

trigger creep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA
What cartridge have you thought about the most, but never owned a rifle chambered in it?

For me it all comes down to the .257 Roberts, .250 Savage, .300 Savage, .303 Savage, .260 Remington, .280 Remington, .308 Win., and 7X57 Mauser. I know a looooooong list. I am not truly sure which one I have thought about the most... Probably the .257 Roberts. Seems like the perfect deer cartridge.

416 Rigby would be nice!

338 ultra....Humm...no dont need one! See talked myself out of it again! :)

Christian,

IN DBBLs 450/400, 300 H&H , 416 JR , 600 NE , in bolt .. .224 Weatherby Magnum. 340 Weatherby Magnum, .378 Weatherby Magnum.

Monish

A double rifle in a 450/400

I bet i have the longest list here! In double rifles, I've always longed for .22 WMR, .257 Roberts, .30-06 Springfield, .375 H&H, a .404 Jeffery, .470 NE, .500 NE, .577 NE and .600 NE. In bolt action, I've dreamed of a .458 Lott, an 8x60 Mauser, an 8x68 Mauser and a 9.3x64 Mauser! And perhaps the weirdest (or maybe quite impossible) of all is that i long of owning all of these at the same time!!

M'bogo Hunter,

You said it right , wish I could own all the calibers that I longed for .............. but .............

Monish

I've always dreamy of hunting with a double in any of the 450 or 500 Express cartridges. Until that happens, I've bought myself an old hammer-gun, a side-by-side .410 shotgun. I load the little shotty up with slugs and spend the odd day stalking pigs in thick bush with it. Maybe one day... I'd be happy to settle for a Krieghoff or a Chapius, perhaps a Merkel? Probably 470NE? I'll be sure to talk to you all before I make the big decision!

I bet i have the longest list here! In double rifles, I've always longed for .22 WMR, .257 Roberts, .30-06 Springfield, .375 H&H, a .404 Jeffery, .470 NE, .500 NE, .577 NE and .600 NE. In bolt action, I've dreamed of a .458 Lott, an 8x60 Mauser, an 8x68 Mauser and a 9.3x64 Mauser! And perhaps the weirdest (or maybe quite impossible) of all is that i long of owning all of these at the same time!!
You have never had a .30-06? Well, then I hope you get one soon! Truly an incredible cartridge!

BTW, I forgot to add the 7MM-08, .300 H&H, and .358 Norma magnum to my list of cartridges.

Christian,

Have a .375 H&H Magnum the "EMPEROR" in your gunrack , its the supreme caliber in the world ...........

Monish

Christian,

Have a .375 H&H Magnum the "EMPEROR" in your gunrack , its the supreme caliber in the world ...........

Monish
OK, you pay the bill then! LOL I have been dreaming about that also, but I don't have the cash. But if you would like to pay for it, then by all means do.:)

OK, you pay the bill then! LOL I have been dreaming about that also, but I don't have the cash. But if you would like to pay for it, then by all means do.:)
Christian,

My young friend , what age does the federal law there allows a citizen to possess arms ??? & what rifle make in this chambering would you prefer ???? I see the jest & the passion for this wonderful sport in you which at your age was same with me & would only finish when I don't exist............. you take up PH ship as a career which I still wish to take up & I am endeavoring to do so , you would get a .375 H&H magnum as a gift ................ my promise..

Monish

This isn't dangerous game or anything, but I've been gaining interest in the 6.5x284 norma for its long range capabilites of around 1000 yards, but i don't know anyone who has one or got any firsthand info on how they shoot.

Christian,

My young friend , what age does the federal law there allows a citizen to possess arms ??? & what rifle make in this chambering would you prefer ???? I see the jest & the passion for this wonderful sport in you which at your age was same with me & would only finish when I don't exist............. you take up PH ship as a career which I still wish to take up & I am endeavoring to do so , you would get a .375 H&H magnum as a gift ................ my promise..

Monish
The Law in Pennsylvania is 14 or 16 years old I believe. However, my dad is allowed to buy me guns, which he does. They're his guns, but he bought them for me. Also, thank you for being so kind as to offer me a .375 H&H if I become a PH. That was very kind of you. To become a PH would be wonderful, but I'll settle for just being able to hunt in Africa!

The Law in Pennsylvania is 14 or 16 years old I believe. However, my dad is allowed to buy me guns, which he does. They're his guns, but he bought them for me. Also, thank you for being so kind as to offer me a .375 H&H if I become a PH. That was very kind of you. To become a PH would be wonderful, but I'll settle for just being able to hunt in Africa!

The Law in Pennsylvania:
Minimum Age to Purchase / Possess

Subject to certain exceptions, a person under the age of 18 shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 6110.1(a). This prohibition does not apply to a minor who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian, or an adult acting with the permission of the minor's parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, such as safety training, target shooting, or organized firearm competition. In addition, the prohibition does not apply to a minor who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 101 et seq.

Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides a firearm to a minor commits a felony of the third degree and the firearm is subject to seizure by law enforcement. 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 6110.1(c), (d). Section 6302 also prohibits any person from selling or leasing any deadly weapon or cartridge to any person under 18 years of age. This prohibition does not apply to hunting by minors in accordance with the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 101 et seq.

300 WIN MAG , 416 RIGBY or :confused:

6.5x57, and or a 6.5 Grendal, along with a 9.3x62 is about it for bolt rifles. I would rather have the time and the finances to hunt with those I have though and my 20 VarTarg, 7x57, and 404 cover about all I need or want

Von Gruff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg