What cartridge have you thought about the most, but never owned a rifle in it?

trigger creep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA
What cartridge have you thought about the most, but never owned a rifle chambered in it?

For me it all comes down to the .257 Roberts, .250 Savage, .300 Savage, .303 Savage, .260 Remington, .280 Remington, .308 Win., and 7X57 Mauser. I know a looooooong list. I am not truly sure which one I have thought about the most... Probably the .257 Roberts. Seems like the perfect deer cartridge.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
416 Rigby would be nice!

505ED

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC,NRA,DRSS
Hunted
North America, South America, South Africa
338 ultra....Humm...no dont need one! See talked myself out of it again! :)

monish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
Christian,

IN DBBLs 450/400, 300 H&H , 416 JR , 600 NE , in bolt .. .224 Weatherby Magnum. 340 Weatherby Magnum, .378 Weatherby Magnum.

Monish

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
A double rifle in a 450/400

M'bogo hunter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.spiderexpedition.com
Media
Hunted
Tanzania.
I bet i have the longest list here! In double rifles, I've always longed for .22 WMR, .257 Roberts, .30-06 Springfield, .375 H&H, a .404 Jeffery, .470 NE, .500 NE, .577 NE and .600 NE. In bolt action, I've dreamed of a .458 Lott, an 8x60 Mauser, an 8x68 Mauser and a 9.3x64 Mauser! And perhaps the weirdest (or maybe quite impossible) of all is that i long of owning all of these at the same time!!

monish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
M'bogo Hunter,

You said it right , wish I could own all the calibers that I longed for .............. but .............

Monish

daggaboyblog

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.daggaboyblog.com.au
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Peninsular Firearms Academy
Hunted
Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Malta
I've always dreamy of hunting with a double in any of the 450 or 500 Express cartridges. Until that happens, I've bought myself an old hammer-gun, a side-by-side .410 shotgun. I load the little shotty up with slugs and spend the odd day stalking pigs in thick bush with it. Maybe one day... I'd be happy to settle for a Krieghoff or a Chapius, perhaps a Merkel? Probably 470NE? I'll be sure to talk to you all before I make the big decision!

trigger creep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA
I bet i have the longest list here! In double rifles, I've always longed for .22 WMR, .257 Roberts, .30-06 Springfield, .375 H&H, a .404 Jeffery, .470 NE, .500 NE, .577 NE and .600 NE. In bolt action, I've dreamed of a .458 Lott, an 8x60 Mauser, an 8x68 Mauser and a 9.3x64 Mauser! And perhaps the weirdest (or maybe quite impossible) of all is that i long of owning all of these at the same time!!
You have never had a .30-06? Well, then I hope you get one soon! Truly an incredible cartridge!

BTW, I forgot to add the 7MM-08, .300 H&H, and .358 Norma magnum to my list of cartridges.

monish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
Christian,

Have a .375 H&H Magnum the "EMPEROR" in your gunrack , its the supreme caliber in the world ...........

Monish

trigger creep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA
Christian,

Have a .375 H&H Magnum the "EMPEROR" in your gunrack , its the supreme caliber in the world ...........

Monish
OK, you pay the bill then! LOL I have been dreaming about that also, but I don't have the cash. But if you would like to pay for it, then by all means do.:)

monish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
OK, you pay the bill then! LOL I have been dreaming about that also, but I don't have the cash. But if you would like to pay for it, then by all means do.:)
Christian,

My young friend , what age does the federal law there allows a citizen to possess arms ??? & what rifle make in this chambering would you prefer ???? I see the jest & the passion for this wonderful sport in you which at your age was same with me & would only finish when I don't exist............. you take up PH ship as a career which I still wish to take up & I am endeavoring to do so , you would get a .375 H&H magnum as a gift ................ my promise..

Monish

Jdean2011

Reaction score
Media
Member of
Texas WIldlife Association Team A&M, Texas A&M wildlife Society, Texas A&M society of Range Management
Hunted
USA, South Africa
This isn't dangerous game or anything, but I've been gaining interest in the 6.5x284 norma for its long range capabilites of around 1000 yards, but i don't know anyone who has one or got any firsthand info on how they shoot.

trigger creep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA
Christian,

My young friend , what age does the federal law there allows a citizen to possess arms ??? & what rifle make in this chambering would you prefer ???? I see the jest & the passion for this wonderful sport in you which at your age was same with me & would only finish when I don't exist............. you take up PH ship as a career which I still wish to take up & I am endeavoring to do so , you would get a .375 H&H magnum as a gift ................ my promise..

Monish
The Law in Pennsylvania is 14 or 16 years old I believe. However, my dad is allowed to buy me guns, which he does. They're his guns, but he bought them for me. Also, thank you for being so kind as to offer me a .375 H&H if I become a PH. That was very kind of you. To become a PH would be wonderful, but I'll settle for just being able to hunt in Africa!

ThomasBeaham

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
The Law in Pennsylvania is 14 or 16 years old I believe. However, my dad is allowed to buy me guns, which he does. They're his guns, but he bought them for me. Also, thank you for being so kind as to offer me a .375 H&H if I become a PH. That was very kind of you. To become a PH would be wonderful, but I'll settle for just being able to hunt in Africa!

The Law in Pennsylvania:
Minimum Age to Purchase / Possess

Subject to certain exceptions, a person under the age of 18 shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 6110.1(a). This prohibition does not apply to a minor who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian, or an adult acting with the permission of the minor's parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, such as safety training, target shooting, or organized firearm competition. In addition, the prohibition does not apply to a minor who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 101 et seq.

Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides a firearm to a minor commits a felony of the third degree and the firearm is subject to seizure by law enforcement. 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 6110.1(c), (d). Section 6302 also prohibits any person from selling or leasing any deadly weapon or cartridge to any person under 18 years of age. This prohibition does not apply to hunting by minors in accordance with the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 101 et seq.

jenn

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
S A Hunters and Conservation Association
Hunted
South Africa and Namibia
300 WIN MAG , 416 RIGBY or :confused:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
6.5x57, and or a 6.5 Grendal, along with a 9.3x62 is about it for bolt rifles. I would rather have the time and the finances to hunt with those I have though and my 20 VarTarg, 7x57, and 404 cover about all I need or want

Von Gruff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyeSikes3

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby