What caliber for a custom Dangerous Game rifle build??

416 Rigby

I am also fond of the full length stock! The kudu in my avatar was taken with a full stock 1956 MC Mannlicher Schonauer in SA.

Last month I was in Zim and took my first buffalo with my full length stocked 416 Rigby. It has 22 inch barrels and points like a 10.5 pound dream. I love that rifle.

View attachment 292352

Thats a cool rifle!! Thanks for the pic

if this rifle is strictly going to be for DG then my vote is for 458 Lott. if the rifle will be used as a general purpose DG/PG gun then 416 RM.

-matt

Think I would have to go with the 404 J
btw @Bullthrower338 who would be the poor schmuck that would have to carry the 950JDJ?
I believe a set of wheels would be in order and perhaps a four wheeler to pull it.

I believe a set of wheels would be in order and perhaps a four wheeler to pull it.

IMG_1836.JPG

Anything beyond that is just asking for the surgeon to perform rotator cuff surgery.

Maybe it's a rotator cuff for the young'uns but we vintage guys are more concerned with issues such as detached retinas, but the result is the same, stick with cartridges that have something less than the recoil of a 155mm howitzer.

Maybe it's a rotator cuff for the young'uns but we vintage guys are more concerned with issues such as detached retinas, but the result is the same, stick with cartridges that have something less than the recoil of a 155mm howitzer.

Pushing 60 myself, if your more concerned about a detached retina than a rotor cuff, Quite frankly perhaps you need to step down a caliber or two.

Hmm, being a young guy (compared to Edward and shootist43, no offense guys) I’ve already suffered 4 severed tendons on my right rotator and a torn retina. Currently a 375 H&H is my cartridge to go, although I might be talked into trying a 404J if I could find one locally to try. 416 Rigby is not controllable for me. Tried it and a heavy CZ in 458 Lott. The Lott didn’t seem as sharp and fast as the Rigby to me.

I’m a firm believer you should try before you buy. JMO

Stick with 375 on dg you will have ph for backup if things go south.
Better to have a rifle your comfortable with and shoot accurately.

I have both 404J and 416 Rigby as for recoil I can’t tell the difference.

and probably no difference at the other end either.
same as 416 rem.
bruce.

Bruce, I have to respectfully disagree. The 416's hit considerably harder on the business end compared to a 375. I own the 375H&H and 416Rigby , and although there might not big difference in the felt recoil, it is 10 times the rifle on the other end. Saying this, I always offer the 375 first to any of my hunters wanting to rent on a DG hunt, because I know that they have a better chance at placing a better shot which at the end of the day is of most importance.
If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

Dedicated DG rifle build? Depends on the action, but I'd look real hard at 458 Win (Standard) or Lott (Magnum).
Either should have no velocity issues with 20" tube.

kmg,
I was talking about404j and 416 rigby with 416 rem.
sorry I should have made myself clearer.
also I would not like the 416 rigby loaded to full potential , so at factory speeds the 416 rem equals it in a more compact package.
the 416 cal has a greater choice of bullet wts than the 404.
there is no question these 3 are more of a thing than the 375.
bruce.

404 Jeffery

kmg,
I was talking about404j and 416 rigby with 416 rem.
sorry I should have made myself clearer.
also I would not like the 416 rigby loaded to full potential , so at factory speeds the 416 rem equals it in a more compact package.
the 416 cal has a greater choice of bullet wts than the 404.
there is no question these 3 are more of a thing than the 375.
bruce.

My apologies, and I agree 100% with your above sentiments.
Although I don't own the 404J, there is just a certain African romance about it.

years ago I remember jeff cooper made a 404 necked up to 458 for this job.
bruce.

My apologies, and I agree 100% with your above sentiments.
Although I don't own the 404J, there is just a certain African romance about it.
Marius , not owning a 404 Jeffery as a hunter /outfitter is a big, big drawback ,,,,no, no, it is not acceptable...you just have to have a 404 Jeffery , it can be your back up rifle for the double as well..:A Banana::A Banana::A Big Hello: Johan Greyling has a great 404 Jeffery working rifle available...R25000 is a steal if you ask me..If I had not already own a 404 Jeffery , I would have bought that 404 Jeffery with a smile...(y)

Johan Greyling has a great 404 Jeffery working rifle available...R25000 is a steal if you ask me..If I had not already own a 404 Jeffery , I would have bought that 404 Jeffery with a smile...(y)

Gert, I dont need this kind of information right now. .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.