What are the toughest plains game animals??

I'd say I've heard more horror stories from PH's about people having trouble with Blue Wildebeest and Oryx. When I asked my PH he said many people shoot above the spine on the Oryx, resulting in essentially a flesh wound.

Toughness or the perseption of toughness comes from bad shot placement....good shot placement with the right bullet from the right caliber=dead....it may be drt or d in 100 yards but dead is dead.....

Wound a BWB, you have problems, wound a Gemsbuck you have problems, wound a zebra(they bleed a lot) you have problems, same for sable, even impala and blesbuck and black wildebeest can give you the run around.....but I can tell you if you wound a old blue Eland bull, Cape or Livingstone you better have well worn in hunting boots lots of water and excellent.trackers......they never stop.....unlike wounded buffalo....after eland wounded elephant....also dont stop....

Roan and Eland are tanks. Will go for hours, days with serious but not fatal shot placement. Spent 7 hours tracking Roan with shattered rear leg, up and down koppies, through thick bush and nasty monkey thorn. Hell of a great memory!
I have to second the eland. I shot mine head on at about 50 yards with a 375 HH and Barnes 350grTSX. Hit him right under the chin and on into the lungs. He ran for almost half a mile spraying blood like a fire hydrant. When we caught up to him it took a couple more rounds to finish him. One tough old blue.

Bluewildebeest and Zebra. I have been fortunate when Inwas younger (and now still) do a lot of culling/hunting with my dad for his business. At the beginning we shot a lot of Zebra. I have bucket loads of stories of them just carrying on and on. Literally 2 days ago we went and culled an injured Zebra for its skin, my dad shot it with a 458WM, double lung shot and it just stood there like nothing hit it. If its foot was not badly injured it could easily have done 100 yards plus and left a red carpet to follow on

Blue wildebeest
Blue wildebeest
Oh ya
Blue wildebeest

By far toughest most wounded bugger in the bush

From my very limited experience, I'd vote eland. @IvW's description of what your next few days look like when an eland is not mortally wounded is very exact.

My blue wildebeest dropped to the shot but I will defer to the outfitter/PH experts here.

My personal experience was:

1. Sable
2. Defassa waterbuck
3. Zebra

All of them. Seriously.
It depends on the animal and what you are shooting it with and where you hit it.
I have shot warthog though the heart with a 375H&H from less than 50 yards and had them run 150 yards before dropping. I have shot 1000 pound eland with a 300 winmag and had them drop in their tracks. I have shot cape buffalo with a 416 Rigby and put three 400 grain bullets--all fatal shots--into the bull before he fell.
After five safaris in Africa and about three dozen plains game animals, I have a huge respect for how tough they all are.
As your PH will tell you, "Ammo is cheap. Keep shooting until he's down."

In spite of their reputation, the two blue wildebeest i shot dropped and died in their tracks. I've had the most difficulty with zebra.

same... between the wife and I we've taken 4x blue wildebeest.. despite their reputation, none of them went more than about 20 yards before dropping.. 3 were shot with 308's.. the 4th with a 375 H&H..

believe it or not, freaking blesbok for some reason seem to be our nemisis.. she shot one back in 2016 with a 308 that we tracked for a pretty good distance before I hit him with a 375.. and even then he still covered a little more ground before he went down... and then last year I hit one with a 308 at about 200 yards.. it was absolutely a kill shot (confirmed when we recovered him).. but he still made it 300 yards into the bush and I had to put a follow up shot in him before he was done..

I think it's all about where you hit them. All my African animals have dropped in their tracks, save for a blesbok that I hit too high and too far forward. I spent a good 45 mins tracking it.

Conversely, I shot a whitetail deer here in Virginia that ran a good 75 yards with a hart literally reduced to a pulp by a .375 H&H.

I don't think African plains game is necessarily tougher. I think all animals that size are tough, and have evolved to take as much punishment as biologically possible. The only insurance against a long tracking session is bullet placement and performance, in that order.

I'd say I've heard more horror stories from PH's about people having trouble with Blue Wildebeest and Oryx. When I asked my PH he said many people shoot above the spine on the Oryx, resulting in essentially a flesh wound.
+1 on the oryx...had one run for a day and a half. When he would get up from laying down an absolute spray of blood, then very little on the run. Bushmen trackers would find a hoof scrape on a rock, a tiny drop of blood. Went up and down and around the mountain like a stair climber machine from Hell. The bushmen gave up the chase when a last herd crossed the tracks and also were convinced the meat would be no good...southern Namibia.

+1 on the oryx...had one run for a day and a half. When he would get up from laying down an absolute spray of blood, then very little on the run. Bushmen trackers would find a hoof scrape on a rock, a tiny drop of blood. Went up and down and around the mountain like a stair climber machine from Hell. The bushmen gave up the chase when a last herd crossed the tracks and also were convinced the meat would be no good...southern Namibia.
I shot mine in South Africa with a 212 grain .300 win mag square in the chest facing straight at us and it still got 40 yards before he quit. Really tough animals.

I'm a new hunter. Just wondering which plains game animals are the hardest to bring down. From my experience, I think it might be blue wildebeest??
Zebra are one that many don’t realize how tough they are. All African animals are tough however! Get a .300.

Wildebeest and zebra for me. My blue wildebeest was a bow shot double lung and the artery heading up from the heart with a four blade broadhead and it still ran a couple hundred yards at full speed in a circle dropping dead in front of us. My second black wildebeest was hit perfect with a 300 grain 375 and it took off for a couple hundred yards bleeding profusely the whole way. Zebra is just plain stout, far more round in cross section than most antelope so it can soak up a bullet better. Mine took a quartering on shot with a 30-06, 168 TTSX. It broke the front leg and went through the vitals diagonally destroying everything. Even so it managed to run a few yards before dropping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheliaBelc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross