What are the more important features that you look for in a hunting lodge?

Jerome, excellent question, thanks for thinking of it,

The following are my votes:
1. Relatively content staff, at least professionally courteous to me, even if they do not care for N. Americans (sometimes I cannot blame them).
2. A snake / scorpion resistant hut or canvas tent, with clean bed and a shower (does not necessarily need to be a hot shower but I would definitely prefer it).
3. Daily laundry service.
4. Large breakfast to include - fried eggs, meat, rice or potatoes, toasted bread or rusks, black coffee very hot.
5. Simple lunch out in the bush - sandwiches, chips, plenty of water or sodas, perhaps an apple or any local fruit for desert.
6. Game meat for supper, with whatever vegetables and starch foods are plentiful in the area (rice, squash, potatoes, bread, whatever). Not too salty (one place I stayed at had a "Chef" who over-salted the food terribly).
7. Some type of fishing is always welcome, just fly fishing for bream is fine for me.
8. I can glass and hope in vain here where I live, day after day, week after week so, for my $$$, I like to see plentiful and diversified species of game every day, even if the animals living close to the lodge are not for hunting, I still enjoy seeing, hearing and smelling plenty of them near camp.

9. Last but not least, very cold beer or a gin & tonic each evening is nice but, I would not trade any of items #One through #Eight for alcohol.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

My wife and I go for the hunting so I would rather have great hunting than all the bells and whistles but we don't refuse good accomadations. Just got back from a hunt where the food was excellent and accomadations were good but the hunting was very slow so the other helps.

My needs are totally different that what my wife needs. She thinks "roughing it" means no room service! We always defer to her tastes when we travel together. For me, as long as I can get decent food and a good nights sleep, I can hunt hard each day. A shower is always appreciated (by the rest of the people in camp) and anything else is just a bonus. I am careful to see what accomodations are there so I can prepare and pack accordingly. Camps in Africa have a different level of expectation than a spike elk camp in the Rockies.

power is essential ,with a couple of power points .
a comfortable shithouse, not one cramped between the shower and a basin .
a thatched roof (love the smell )
must be able to make the room dark , cant sleep when its light .
cupboards are opitional as l just spread my crap out everywhere so I can see what I need in an instant.
love tiled floors just like home ,but not concerned .....
and accessable light switches ,so I can turn em on and off with out tripping over my stuff.....
and staff that that don't move things , I always tell em if its there , its there for a reason . I put rubbish in the bin and laundry in its hamper . anything else just leave it .
on our first African adventure the girl would make my bed every day ,that was bother some .in the end I gave her 100 rand not to touch it .
and a bed big enough to sprawl out in like a like a jellyfish
some where to hang my bow
don't go on flash places ,neither does my bride ,we just like to feel comfortable ,and at ease ......

……………….

P.S. If anyone wants to know the name of the outfitter that scammed us in N.C., feel free to send me a P.M. and I will gladly share the information with you. I don't want so see some other poor soul scammed like we were.

These crooks need a hunt report to warn people away from them. People won't tend to see the PM.

I guess that all this depends on where you are hunting and what are you trying to hunt.........Soo I mean......if I am shooting doves at Cordoba Argentina in my place.....I want the best, I want a Sheraton hotel in the evening and the best food as is posible and that´s is OK.......if I am trying Red Stag in La pampa Province, free range with a good and confortable and clean lodge with goods and dry towells, beds and good meals is ok too........and if I am trying for Jaguar and Tapir in the Bolivian-paraguayan-Argentinian Border would be great to have a nice place for sleep under a tree anywhere and somebody offer to me a plate of food of anything during a day would be gorgeous..........just points of view.....!!!!!......it is your choice.......(y)

Clean, warm, comfortable beds....king size preferred, good food, plenty of hot water for showers, extra towels, overhead lighting, plugs near the bed, bug and pest free, fire pit outside, diet coke that is not out of date, Jack Daniels, a staff that aims to please, good coffee available, comfortable chairs in room to read in, a thatch roof, river or pond near by for fishing, and game at your doorstep. All of these things I have found at Nico's lodge on the Elands river.

image.jpg

The lodge of which I speak.

I have not been yet, but I think a nice place to sit around a fire after a day in the bush, with a beer and friends, would be high on my list!

Being able to feel at ease is absolutely a must to enjoy oneself.

It seems like I am in the minority on this one, but when I am looking at outfitters, I really do want to see the complete luxury treatment. For this kind of money and this special of an experience, I want everything to be perfect.

This means that I want luxury lodges with large beds and nice bathrooms. Views from the room are a must as well. When I am in Africa, I want to hear, see, and smell Africa at all times. This also means that privacy and areas to relax are important.

I also want a television and internet. I know working on a safari seems preposterous to some, but I have to have access to my email and computer at all times. Television is just a great way to unwind after a long day with loved ones.

Fine dining and choice alcoholic beverages are a must. I want to eat my game prepared well (more than just steaks on the grill). Most outfitter claim fine dining, but I think finding one that can truly deliver a fine dining experience is few and far between. What is nice is that most outfitters that I have talked to have said that they can get their hands on any alcoholic beverages of choice, which really should be expected.

The most important requirement is a great staff. While the PH needs to be great, I also think that the lodge staff need to be great. I have stayed at far too many hotels with lousy staff to want the same experience on my safari.

The point that I am getting at is that things should be totally
accommodating in amenities and provide the finest experience possible. While some may think that I am asking too much, I will once again say that if I am paying this much money and going on such a special safari, it absolutely has to be perfect.

I have been following this thread and really enjoying the opinions. Like I said in an earlier post I believe the people make the trip and can turn a bad trip good or a good trip bad. That said and thinking about it more.... I would sleep in the wood shed and wash Saul's dishes if I can stay until I get a 60" Kudu :)

Great responses and good advice, thanks guys! This may very well be the first safari hunting lodge designed entirely by AH members;)
My wife and I currently run a 5* safari lodge in the Okavango Delta and deal with high end clientele so we understand all the frills and ribbons that most people want but more importantly for us it comes down to service!!
Your pointers and tips have been invaluable to me, even to the extent of insuring @bluey has enough space in the crapper before setting out on a hunt:LOL:
The one response that stood out for me was about being able to offer what you have marketed and that is a very good point. If you can't provide it, don't offer it.
We have a few concepts in mind to try and cater for those with varying tastes, from a family friendly environment to a comfortable "safari of old" style lodge to even a "pack your tent in a rucksack and hike till you tired" idea.
So once again thank you all for the valuable advice, it has really helped.
We still in the early stages but will keep all posted in the developments.

I would rather have less expensive day fees and less frills

I'm not seeing any women on this post....so think I'll chime in. When it comes to hunting in Africa, the accommodations do not have to be frilly for me. Hot shower, working toilet, critter-free lodging, daily laundry service (in order to pack as light as possible), and somewhere to charge my camera battery (as someone else pointed out) are about all I need. And since I tend to hunt Africa during their colder months.....a pool is not necessary. But a campfire is a must. Also a heating source in the lodging that actually blows out heat (Unlike the electric space heaters they used at this last outfitter. Those things are just poo-poo.) When the temps drop to 30 degrees (F) and below.....I want heat. I can go to the spa pretty much any other time. So, when I'm in Africa, I am there to hunt. I've stayed in log cabin type structures, and buildings with thatched roofs.....I would love to try staying in a tent the next time I go. Good food......and someone to make me a drink at the end of the day. Sounds like heaven to me. :D

This is great feedback, really enjoying this thread.

What about additional activities available to you on your safari?
An option to play golf, go fishing (deep sea), mountain biking, some shopping at the local stores (maybe more for the ladies) a trip to the beach a day excursion to a local wildlife reserve for photography, sky diving, bungee jumping or maybe even a local museum or exhibition of some sorts, seeing local schools and development programs. Do you consider these types of options or is it simply "Iam going to Africa to hunt, so hunt is what i'll do!"

Kind regards
Jono

What about additional activities available to you on your safari?
An option to play golf, go fishing (deep sea), mountain biking, some shopping at the local stores (maybe more for the ladies) a trip to the beach a day excursion to a local wildlife reserve for photography, sky diving, bungee jumping or maybe even a local museum or exhibition of some sorts, seeing local schools and development programs. Do you consider these types of options or is it simply "Iam going to Africa to hunt, so hunt is what i'll do!"

Kind regards
Jono

Obviously it depends on the time available.
The "activities" matter as a service that might help folks with non-hunters along.
Although many non hunters end up enjoying the observer role.

Have a wide list, like you just suggested, and let the folks choose.

Golfing instead of hunting!? That is one twisted individual. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg