What age did you start hunting?

If I remember correctly first time at 14 for Birds with an Old Ithaca Double

Loved your post Velo - thanks.

I was a college professor's first child (read - we had very little money, but we did have very informed conversations around the dinner table). I went squirrel hunting with him a couple of times when I was 7 or 8, but in is heart, he was a fisherman. Understandable, we lived in Coastal Louisiana, and could spend 12 months of the year on the water catching something. Our only boat was always a 14ft flat-bottom of some sort, and I can still remember the day he upgraded from a 9.8 horsepower Mercury to a 20. We could fly! I have no idea how many thousands of bass, specks, and reds we caught over the years. A favorite technique was to park the boat in the middle of the freshwater marsh and wade in shorts and tennis shoes with a flyrod catching bass. Gators held no terrors for anyone in those days - though we saw them every trip. (As I think about it, probably one reason wading around the Zambezi Delta didn't seem that foreign to me).

He gave me a Daisy BB gun one Christmas - the sliding bump model - and I became the terror of a small patch of woods across the road from the house. I regret to now say that even the wintering robins were not entirely safe from predation.

His only gun was a Remington Model 1911 12 gauge. His uncle had given it to him, and the story was that it had killed at least one bear and one man before he received it. It had a cylinder bore and anything within thirty-yards was at some risk. He eventually bought me a Sears Ted Williams 20 with the poly-choke abomination on the end of the barrel. Looking back, I now know that particular model was built by Mossberg. I remember spending a lot of time turning that darn choke trying to figure out the right combination of shot and pattern - should have been working on lead and follow-through.

High-school friends introduced me to duck hunting and I was quickly hooked. I saved dollars from mowing and summer carpenter's helper work to purchase 12 gauge model 12 with a 30-inch full choke barrel. I either killed or missed birds decisively. By the time I entered McNeese State, I was guiding every day of the duck season for the Chateau Charles Duck Club in Lake Charles. We made the princely sum of $25 dollars a trip plus tips. Funny, I had been selected for one of the four-year Army ROTC scholarships coming out of high school, and could have gone anywhere I could get accepted which had a ROTC program. I chose to stay home because of the duck hunting (there may also have been a blond involved if I remember correctly.) We would meet our "sports" for breakfast around 4 am, and be getting into boats at the Johnson's Bayou landing by 6. We were almost always back by 10 or 10:30 and I made sure I never had class before 1100 in the fall. I remember many times guiding, going to class, grabbing a shower, grabbing that blond, heading to a fraternity party (Kappa Alpha) or football game, dropping off that blond, driving to the duck club, changing in the parking lot, and going in to meet my sports for the day. I wouldn't last 48 hours now.

After graduation, I was off to Germany, and spent the next five-years there. I fell under the wing of the battalion XO who was a dedicated rifleman. Within six months, I earned my Jagdschein and purchased my first deer rifle - Ruger No. 1 in .270. I mounted a used Lyman All-American 6X on it and for the next four years hunted Roe, stag, and boar every free moment I had (the status of forces agreement was much friendlier to American sportsmen in those days). It was also there that I began my passion for guns with more than one barrel. I suppose I haven't looked back.

Haven't looked back for that little blond either. Married another one in Kansas after returning from Germany, and have had a romantic relationship with her for the ensuing 35-years.

Last edited:
I see most started young, I the same cant remember NOT hunting. it is and was family tradition, grew up with bunch of military vets and cops big family all of us lived in the same rural area hunted together every sunday afternoon, it was a sight to behold bunch of kids, dads, uncles, cousins, granddads and pack of dogs. the adults always gave us kids a chance and let us shoot first. memories I will cherish and take to my grave.

On my own ? 12yo with a .22lr.

I am from Pennsylvania and at the time I was growing up you had to be 12 to get a hunting license. My dad didn't hunt and he wasn't to fond of guns, but, my uncles were hunters . My father bought me a .410 shotgun., bolt action, JC Higgins. I can still remember the first rabbit I got with that gun.

When I was 6 years old I thought I could take on the world with my BB gun. Birds were my target then and I haven't looked back since......

I hunted the first time at age 7, under the guidance of my father, I shot a morning dove off of a tree branch on that hunt since I hadn't hit anything flying with the first box of shells. Firearm was a Savage .22/.410 O/U. Killed my first flying game, another dove, the following year.

I started real young. Probably 4-5 with a pellet gun. Shot my first monkeys and Rock hyraxes at 5/6 with a 22 long.
My first springbuck at 6 and my first kudu at 11 the rest is hazy

Hello JKT,

My mother now age 91, still tells the story of myself at age 3 or 4, being absolutely riveted by a cork gun that I saw in a toy store, (in 1956 or '57).
And I apparently pined away for it to the point that my Grandmother's sister no less, had mercy on me and bought it for me.
I remember this "weapon", it was a side by side, made of stamped sheet metal that, hinged in the middle and, I was not yet strong enough to cock this mechanism.
The adults being good and tired of me asking for help, soon instructed me to "make my shots count" (the strings that kept the corks from flying far from the gun had been cut by one or the other parent, Great-aunt, uncle or whomever).
To this day, I am quite fond of side by side shotguns and rifles, yes quite.

My father was not interested in hunting or guns, although growing up on a farm in Iowa, he was as familiar with same, as most farm boys would be and, he had reportedly done some small game hunting, with his brothers in those days (1930s).
He was just simply not interested in guns and hunting after "The War" and it's likely that terrible experience had everything to do with his disinterest in guns and hunting.
He had been a Paratrooper in the 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles", and witnessed some of his friends get blown to pieces and/or get shot, during the "Battle of The Bulge" and my mother recalls that he suffered nightmares of being on the bloody battle field for years afterward.
He preferred sailing, tennis and golf.
I'd rather pour salt in my eyes than to play golf ("One man's bread is another man's poison").

However, he was a good man and very intelligent so, according to my Christmas wishes, he gave me a 2nd hand but good quality air rifle at some point, when I was still in elementary school (German, possibly "Walther"?) hinge cocking, single shot .177 pellet caliber, with rifled barrel and oiled leather O-ring pressure seal, adjustable sights and adjustable trigger weight, walnut stock as well - wish I still had it.
Then, he used my air rifle to his advantage to both drum the safe gun handling mindset into my little brain plus, to take my rifle away from me if I misbehaved, as children will do now and then.
Perhaps this is why I'm seriously against gun control now - my father traumatized me by sometimes revoking my air gun rights as a child ! (Now, may I sign up for disability welfare benefits ?).

Back then (early 1960s) I bagged more than one or two sparrows ("California impala") with it, in the famous big game hunting grounds of South-Central Los Angeles - once I bagged a careless dove (California eland) that landed in our back yard (baited field LOL).
In more recent times, leftist Hollywood, especially Producer / Director, Quinton Tarantino, likes to make hoodlum/gun violence movies in South-Central Los Angeles.
Around age 12 or 13, my father presented me with a hideous Montgomery-Wards / "Hercules" brand single shot 20 gauge shotgun.
It was made on an overly heavy 12 gauge frame that, is possibly cast iron and the barrel had an extra-thick chamber.
It is a real prize, with the above features plus, a birch (or perhaps ash tree) wood stock and a stout main spring, such that I could not cock the hammer with my thumb.
I had to use the heel of my hand to accomplish it, until I got a bit older and stronger of thumb.
This wretched shotgun seemed like it must've weighed about as much as a motor bike or, at least about as handy as a motor bike to swing on fast movers, like quail and doves.

Sometime before age 16, we had already moved to Sacramento, 400 miles north and at that stage, I really hit the sporting goods jackpot.
Christmas then saw me with a new "Harrington & Richardson" brand single shot 12 gauge, birch stock again and genuine plastic trigger guard - beauty !
I never removed/examined the internal parts but, the main spring may have only been a rubber band, by the way it felt to cock the hammer.
This conversely, way too light for gauge shotgun "kicked a bit".
When firing slugs from same, it was deadly at both ends.

Simultaneously, I had been working as one of the cooks, in a greasy-spoon all night restaurant, so with my massive paychecks, I saved up enough to buy an unmodified, Smith-Corona made, 1903-A3 Springfield, .30-06, from a schoolmate for $40.US, in darn near unfired condition (those were the days !)
Likewise that year, one of my childhood friends from back in L.A. told me he was "getting out of shooting" ( !!!! ) and gave to me a Remington single shot .22 Rifle, Model 514, in pristine condition, I was on a roll.
If that's not enough, my father was working long hours then and so, my mother got elected to do a "strawperson" buyer, with my money for me, on my first handgun - a new Ruger "Bearcat" .22, single action.
In 1969, the retail price was a whopping $37 bucks.
I soon sold this revolver to another friend, (after my father cleared this deal with that boy's parents) and then bought a larger framed Ruger .22 revolver, "Single-Six Convertible" (extra cylinder in .22 magnum).

Long boring story short (with my apologies to anyone suffering through my long blathering rant here), hunting and fishing are deep seated in my every fiber, evidently beginning at quite an early age.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
A 22 Magnum revolver is nice, it would be nice up here to shoot the heads off of those spruce hens

I have been on limited hunting trips since a very young age. Would say from about 6/7 years old. My grand father had a farm ( agriculture only ) where a lot of bird hunting was done. Mostly with slingshot, air rifle and even bow and arrow, all self made with the exception of the air rifle. Sometimes a rabbit would present itself , altough I cannot recall ever taking one. Rules imprinted from those days was nr1 safety muzzle in safe direction etc , and to never shoot in the direction of the houses, and nr2. only shoot what you are willing to utilize.

Took my 1st animal on an official hunt a Blesbok when I was 13 years of age. Did not have to many opportunities after that, until I was 24 and recieved my own paycheck. From-there onwards, I have had been blessed with no less than 3-6 hunting trips a year.

Hunted in 7 of the 9 provinces in South Africa, also in Botswana, and been on my first DG safari April 2016.

Highlights would be in no spesific order.

My RW Impala
My first animal plains game - Blesbok
Hunting for the first time without any PH or guide just me. ( and animals taken when alone, Blue wildebeast, Impala, Warthog, and off course the kudu bull, it is amazing when alone how much more your senses work)
My kudu bull , also hunted on my own
My DG hunt
1st Family hunt with my father and brother ( a yearly hunt now going on 7 years)

I am sure that my first hunting expedition was when I was 6 months old. While I am just guessing at this I do know that we took my youngest sister when she was only 9 months old and I was 5. Now for when I started to hunt animals I would have to say around 4 or 5. My dad made me a sling shot out of a Y crotch from a elm tree, a couple of pieces of rubber inner tube and a a leather pouch for the ammo. When we tore down our old garage 17 years ago I found one that could of been my first weapon, or one of the first. It now rest on my trophy wall.

Now for rifle hunting I was around 8 or 9 packing a BB gun after lizards or anything else that moved on the ground. By that time I had a .30-06 and a .22lr that I could uses with my dads permission but I don't ever remember asking him to use them except for when we went target shooting.

It has been downhill ever since for me. I couldn't say how many deer and elk I have shot in North America along with my 1 African safari and a trip up into British Colombia for a grizzly, but I only brought home a black bear. I just returned from a coues deer hunt on the Arizona/Mexico border and now in 3 weeks I'll head back down to Arizona for a handgun hunt for a javelina. Then once I get home in February the application period starts for all of my upcoming fall hunts here in Colorado, Utah, and hopefully Wyoming.

So many hunts and so little time.

I went with my father in law last year on their hunting trip for the first time. My family isn't big on hunting. Must say that much has changed in 6 months and i am planning my first hunting trip this year. Super excited

I started going along with my dad at age 4 and was shooting a .22 by then. I was probably 6 or 7 when I shot my first game, a grey squirrel with a Daisy BB gun. When I was in the 5th. grade I was deemed old enough to take the .22 out by myself after squirrels/rabbits.

Started about seven with a slingshot, catapult, catie, manati, depending on what you want to call them. Songbirds, snakes, bushbabies, iguanas, monkeys, etc. were targets. If a bird had the wind knocked out of it I would nurse it back to health, put it in the aviary and ultimately release it. Much to the chagrin of my protein starved African friends. If a bird was killed, a fire would be started and it would be roasted and eaten on the spot. We thought we were great hunters with the birds serving as our lions and elephants. Second photo shows what the singshots looked like, along with a green pigeon. We were good enough we could normally hit a target the size of a desert plate at 25 yards. It usually wouldn't take an hour to get a bird if we were focused.

upload_2017-1-14_17-29-16.png

upload_2017-1-14_17-36-42.png

upload_2017-1-14_17-37-55.png

We didn't have a pellet gun or a 22 we could use, so around 8-9, I graduated to the 12g and the 220Swift.

8-13-2009_083.JPG

8-11-2009_082.JPG

8663[2].jpg

This topi was the first animal I shot that was bigger than myself.

Not sure why this photo didn't do full image. @BRICKBURN or @AfricaHunting.com if you could enlarge this photo, it would be much appreciated.

This is a fun thread. I'm enjoying reading everyone's interesting and unique histories. I know many outfitters and ph's have interesting stories. Please join in. I even remember seeing a couple of photos of a young @AfricaHunting.com somewhere. (y);)

I have been hunting all my life as long as I can remember.
Started following my dad, then shooting everything I could with a 22 daisy peletgun.
Then a Winchester mod 37 20 ga shotgun and Remington model 12 22lr. Then a Rem model 870 12 ga and a win model 94 30-30.
Spent every weekend deer hunting, duck hunting and upland bird hunting with my father.
Then Coyote hunting at sunrise over a dead cow or duck hunting a pond in the morning before school with my buddies.
My mom cooked every bird, deer, or other critter that we brought home.
I bought my first "high powered rifle" when I was about 20. An Ackley Improved 30-06 Springfield 1903. I had to form fire the brass and hand load. Good Times and I loved that gun.
Essentially, I have always hunted...
When I moved to the remote Alaska Aluetian Islands in my early 20's and worked a gagillion hrs a week I hunted ptarmigan on my day off, and rats at the dump at night. And carried a 22-250 in my mechanics truck to shoot squirrels and fox. I had a trap line set up for fox that I would check every morning while "fueling equipment". Welding gloves are perfect for choking out a leg caught fox by the way...
We all come into hunting in various ways and I was fortunate to enough to get into it at a very young age.
I still love hunting, it doesn't matter if I am trying to stalk a black wildebeest in the savannah of Africa, sea duck hunting in the middle of winter in Kodiak Ak, road hunting whitetail with my dad in eastern Wa State, sitting in a stand over a bear bait trying not to get carried off by the mosquitos, or taking my son to his Hunter Ed Range Day, I wouldn't change any of it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross