Well boys, what's your temperature like now?

After two whopping days of over 80F, it then rained a lot, temps now in the mid 60's and staying in the 60-70F range for the next week or so.
Summer doesnt usually start here till after the 4th of July anyway.

Haha well I don’t know about that! I raced motocross for American Honda on a support ride. Broke tibia, fibula, elbow and had two major concussions (actually cracked a Bell helmet) in four different wrecks. Got to know an orthopedic surgeon on a first name basis. After watching me at a motocross race, my uncle told my dad, “That kid’s got more throttle than brains.” Lol. Horses - just one broken thumb!
Slow learner.... :W Dynamite: :W Dynamite::A Outta:

Haha well I don’t know about that! I raced motocross for American Honda on a support ride. Broke tibia, fibula, elbow and had two major concussions (actually cracked a Bell helmet) in four different wrecks. Got to know an orthopedic surgeon on a first name basis. After watching me at a motocross race, my uncle told my dad, “That kid’s got more throttle than brains.” Lol. Horses - just one broken thumb!

Mmmm....so you and horses are same in the brain department then.... :E Rofl:

Mmmm....so you and horses are same in the brain department then.... :E Rofl:
Perhaps! :A Bonk:

However, it would seem that you’ve had bad experiences on bad horses. That’s usually caused by people keeping bad horses or owning warm bloods like Arabs, Thoroughbreds, etc… that they have no business owning as novice or intermediate riders.

Perhaps a little horse lesson and advice are in order. :A Coffee:

We use Quarter Horses, Morgan crosses, draft crosses, etc…. that are much more calm. I also don’t keep bad horses or rough stock. I don’t get attached to a horse until it has been put through the paces. Horses are a lot like people with different personalities and issues. I get rid of problem horses. I keep about 50% of what I buy and usually take a loss on the horses I sell. In the long run, it is cheaper than keeping a problem around. We also use our horses a lot from June through October. Most people don’t use their horses enough or get intimidated by them and the horses become expensive yard art. In 31years, I’ve had exactly one client get hurt and he got complacent and wasn’t keeping 1/4 of his weight in the stirrups for stability and balance. He was just sitting on the saddle and not paying attention when a grouse flushed from under the horse. The horse took a quick step to the left and the guy fell out of the saddle and broke his wrist. He wasn’t bucked off. The horse he was riding was so good that the guy got complacent. You don’t sit on a horse, you ride it, with weight in the stirrups. If your knees get sore, your stirrups are not adjusted properly. Here ends the lesson. Lol.:S Hijack:
ED83CC4A-5F89-4FBB-843D-D02F17C074E9.jpeg

Me adjusting a stirrup for daughter-in-law. The horse is named Cricket.

Last edited:
Perhaps! :A Bonk:

However, it would seem that you’ve had bad experiences on bad horses. That’s usually caused by people keeping bad horses or owning warm bloods like Arabs, Thoroughbreds, etc… that they have no business owning as novice or intermediate riders.

Perhaps a little horse lesson and advice are in order. :A Coffee:

We use Quarter Horses, Morgan crosses, draft crosses, etc…. that are much more calm. I also don’t keep bad horses or rough stock. I don’t get attached to a horse until it has been put through the paces. Horses are a lot like people with different personalities and issues. I get rid of problem horses. I keep about 50% of what I buy and usually take a loss on the horses I sell. In the long run, it is cheaper than keeping a problem around. We also use our horses a lot from June through October. Most people don’t use their horses enough or get intimidated by them and the horses become expensive yard art. In 31years, I’ve had exactly one client get hurt and he got complacent and wasn’t keeping 1/4 of his weight in the stirrups for stability and balance. He was just sitting on the saddle and not paying attention when a grouse flushed from under the horse. The horse took a quick step to the left and the guy fell out of the saddle and broke his wrist. He wasn’t bucked off. The horse he was riding was so good that the guy got complacent. You don’t sit on a horse, you ride it, with weight in the stirrups. If your knees get sore, your stirrups are not adjusted properly. Here ends the lesson. Lol.:S Hijack:View attachment 473994
Me adjusting a stirrup for daughter-in-law. The horse is named Cricket.

Going to save that to read when I went to go to sleep.... :A Thumbs Up: :E Rofl::sleep::sleep:

I worked for an elk outfitter for two seasons in Idaho back in the mid 70's. Had a lot of fun, learned a lot about critters, both the 4 legged kind and 2 legged.
I did learn that with the stock I worked around at least, that mules were much easier to handle than horses unless you know your string very well.

Boss sent me out one day to bring in a string of hunters horses that they left in the woods with the plan to hunt on foot back to camp with a guide.
I found the string and proceeded to tie them altogether as instructed, lead rope to saddle of horse ahead. All well and good but I wasnt yet aware of the "pecking order" this bunch of glue candidates felt was proper!

Shortly into the trip to camp after untangling them from going around different trees, dead falls, creeks, jumping grouse, or anything that might make things interesting, for them,
the whole string eventually just blew up when the horse behind the one I was leading bit him on the ass!

Literally tore a saddle in two during the ensuing riot this bunch did. As luck would have it the saddle belonged to the outfitters wife and she was not happy, nor was the boss, nor me.

I told him it was good dang thing I wasnt armed that day or there would be a whole lot of meat and glue makings on the ground!
He didnt can me, but enough other things happened later, to abbreviate my employment with him.

I worked for an elk outfitter for two seasons in Idaho back in the mid 70's. Had a lot of fun, learned a lot about critters, both the 4 legged kind and 2 legged.
I did learn that with the stock I worked around at least, that mules were much easier to handle than horses unless you know your string very well.

Boss sent me out one day to bring in a string of hunters horses that they left in the woods with the plan to hunt on foot back to camp with a guide.
I found the string and proceeded to tie them altogether as instructed, lead rope to saddle of horse ahead. All well and good but I wasnt yet aware of the "pecking order" this bunch of glue candidates felt was proper!

Shortly into the trip to camp after untangling them from going around different trees, dead falls, creeks, jumping grouse, or anything that might make things interesting, for them,
the whole string eventually just blew up when the horse behind the one I was leading bit him on the ass!

Literally tore a saddle in two during the ensuing riot this bunch did. As luck would have it the saddle belonged to the outfitters wife and she was not happy, nor was the boss, nor me.

I told him it was good dang thing I wasnt armed that day or there would be a whole lot of meat and glue makings on the ground!
He didnt can me, but enough other things happened later, to abbreviate my employment with him.
Oh yes, some horses need to be right behind your riding horse so you can control them in a string and others must be the last horse in the string because they don’t like another horse behind them. Put the best ones in the middle.

We also have four mules and they are generally easier and smarter if well trained when young. They rarely get wire cuts or freak out and hurt themselves. We almost never incur vet bills from a mule. Once they learn the program, they go along and rarely cause an issue. Once they trust you and know that you won’t put them in a position to get hurt, they will do what you ask. You cannot intimidate or force a mule to do something but if they trust you, they will do it. You never beat or hit a mule because they won’t like you forever. Horses can be pushed to do something.

Oh yes, some horses need to be right behind your riding horse so you can control them in a string and others must be the last horse in the string because they don’t like another horse behind them. Put the best ones in the middle.

We also have four mules and they are generally easier and smarter if well trained when young. They rarely get wire cuts or freak out and hurt themselves. We almost never incur vet bills from a mule. Once they learn the program, they go along and rarely cause an issue. Once they trust you and know that you won’t put them in a position to get hurt, they will do what you ask. You cannot intimidate or force a mule to do something but if they trust you, they will do it. You never beat or hit a mule because they won’t like you forever. Horses can be pushed to do something.
Another time I got reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy lucky! Boss sent me with pack string from elk camp to base camp with a number of mules loaded with stuff.
First time I had taken a string down the mountain by myself. So I am riding down the trail, like a sack of spuds in the saddle trying to look like the Marlboro man, and realize much to my horror and chagrin that I had zigged instead of zagged on the trail and was dragging the string out along a narrow trail on the side of a fairly steep barren hill.
Well as you know, I cant just stop and back the string up. Scared to death I was going to roll the string down the hillside, I balled up and said Ok mules lets go, and turned and started right up the side of the hill dragging the crew up with me. I figured it was safer going up than down.
Went straight up till the last in the string was off the trail, then turned them all back the way we came, back down to the trail again and headed for base camp.
I dont mind telling you I was shaking like a dog shittin carpet tacks by time I got them back in line on the trail in the RIGHT direction!!

We were a nice an cool 46 the other night into the 70’s during the day,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!