welding Mauser bolt handles

rdog

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA
After lots of thinking about how to weld on a couple of M98 bolt handles for my 318 WR projects i originally
was going to use a Mig welder, but ended up buying a Tig welder for Xmas.
Spent a couple of days practicing & fiddling with the welders adjustments
brought a bolt heat sink & 2 Talley bolt handles from Brownells . Heat blocking putty from the local plumbing supply shop, Made a bolt handle alignment jig
out of material i had laying around. Here is the results the next one will take halve the time & be a better job.

IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1261 (2).JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG

I
Looks as good as any work coming out of a "Smith's" shop. Any interest in reworking bolts for some of your AH buddies?
I live in Australia & i do not think i could handle the stress of working on somebody's else's, bolt its not as easy as it looks you could easily screw it up.

Love the look of the teardrop bolt handle. My 2nd favorite after the butter knife bolt handle.

After lots of thinking about how to weld on a couple of M98 bolt handles for my 318 WR projects i originally
was going to use a Mig welder, but ended up buying a Tig welder for Xmas.
Spent a couple of days practicing & fiddling with the welders adjustments
brought a bolt heat sink & 2 Talley bolt handles from Brownells . Heat blocking putty from the local plumbing supply shop, Made a bolt handle alignment jig
out of material i had laying around. Here is the results the next one will take halve the time & be a better job.

View attachment 445141View attachment 445142View attachment 445140View attachment 445141View attachment 445142
How has the build gone I’m looking at building a 416-300 win mag

How has the build gone I’m looking at building a 416-300 win mag
The receiver in the photos had worn locking lug recesses & was traded to a gun smith friend who had the ability to re cut the seats & re heat treat it . in exchange, + $ i got a Parker Hale 30/ 06 in a nice old Bishop stock, no thumb cutout, modern bolt shroud & factory drill & tap scope mount holes, hinged steel floor plate, the smith fitted a 318 WR barrel of his own manufacture to the rifle, its is plain to look at but feeds very well & groups avg about 1 moa with 250 g Woodleigh bullets & better with Atomic 29 180 grain copper bullets with on old M8 Leupold 4x scope . I have also built a 8x57 & a 9.3x62 on the same model Parker Hale actions, I think its easier & a better result to find a suitable modern action ie Zastava, MK10 , or Parker Hale for these projects, a magnum bolt face & magazine Mk 10 or Zastava would be my choice for you 416 Taylor project, good luck.

Last edited:
At the moment I’m just looking for a suitable action. There is an fn action the has been opened up to a magnum bolt face and also a zastava in 300 win mag.

At the moment I’m just looking for a suitable action. There is an fn action the has been opened up to a magnum bolt face and also a zastava in 300 win mag.
I would go with the Zastava 300 win & only a bbl change you are there, the Zastava factory stocks usually re finish very well i have one in 375 re finished it looks good & shoots very well.

Nice work, it takes skill and knowledge to accomplish such fine work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross