welding Mauser bolt handles

rdog

AH elite
Joined
May 25, 2021
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
3,540
Location
sunshine coast QLD Australia
Media
18
Member of
SSAA
After lots of thinking about how to weld on a couple of M98 bolt handles for my 318 WR projects i originally
was going to use a Mig welder, but ended up buying a Tig welder for Xmas.
Spent a couple of days practicing & fiddling with the welders adjustments
brought a bolt heat sink & 2 Talley bolt handles from Brownells . Heat blocking putty from the local plumbing supply shop, Made a bolt handle alignment jig
out of material i had laying around. Here is the results the next one will take halve the time & be a better job.

IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1261 (2).JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
 
Very Nice job!
 
I
Looks as good as any work coming out of a "Smith's" shop. Any interest in reworking bolts for some of your AH buddies?
I live in Australia & i do not think i could handle the stress of working on somebody's else's, bolt its not as easy as it looks you could easily screw it up.
 
Love the look of the teardrop bolt handle. My 2nd favorite after the butter knife bolt handle.
 
After lots of thinking about how to weld on a couple of M98 bolt handles for my 318 WR projects i originally
was going to use a Mig welder, but ended up buying a Tig welder for Xmas.
Spent a couple of days practicing & fiddling with the welders adjustments
brought a bolt heat sink & 2 Talley bolt handles from Brownells . Heat blocking putty from the local plumbing supply shop, Made a bolt handle alignment jig
out of material i had laying around. Here is the results the next one will take halve the time & be a better job.

View attachment 445141View attachment 445142View attachment 445140View attachment 445141View attachment 445142
How has the build gone I’m looking at building a 416-300 win mag
 
How has the build gone I’m looking at building a 416-300 win mag
The receiver in the photos had worn locking lug recesses & was traded to a gun smith friend who had the ability to re cut the seats & re heat treat it . in exchange, + $ i got a Parker Hale 30/ 06 in a nice old Bishop stock, no thumb cutout, modern bolt shroud & factory drill & tap scope mount holes, hinged steel floor plate, the smith fitted a 318 WR barrel of his own manufacture to the rifle, its is plain to look at but feeds very well & groups avg about 1 moa with 250 g Woodleigh bullets & better with Atomic 29 180 grain copper bullets with on old M8 Leupold 4x scope . I have also built a 8x57 & a 9.3x62 on the same model Parker Hale actions, I think its easier & a better result to find a suitable modern action ie Zastava, MK10 , or Parker Hale for these projects, a magnum bolt face & magazine Mk 10 or Zastava would be my choice for you 416 Taylor project, good luck.
 
Last edited:
At the moment I’m just looking for a suitable action. There is an fn action the has been opened up to a magnum bolt face and also a zastava in 300 win mag.
 
At the moment I’m just looking for a suitable action. There is an fn action the has been opened up to a magnum bolt face and also a zastava in 300 win mag.
I would go with the Zastava 300 win & only a bbl change you are there, the Zastava factory stocks usually re finish very well i have one in 375 re finished it looks good & shoots very well.
 
Nice work, it takes skill and knowledge to accomplish such fine work.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,438
Messages
1,576,297
Members
170,542
Latest member
LeaStout80
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top