Weirdest animal shot and what with?

@Timbo shoot all the sharks you can we are getting a large number of shark attacks in Australia as of late

@Cam Moon Bundy is an Australian spirit made in Bundaberg , Queensland , Australia. Near Cairns, Great Barrier Reef.

So Bundaberg Rum goes well with Coke or other mixers. Great with Ginger Beer. Some Bourbon drinkers don’t like Rum but I don’t drink Bourbons

Weird... I'm not sure but cool and unique yes!!

Red hartebeest- one of the coolest looking animals in the world to me! Used my Remington 300 WM

Baboon- used the PH's 30-06

I remember as a kid, being mad at my Mom, so I got my little Daisy Red Rider B.B. gun and shot one of the hummingbirds that frequented her feeder. The thing basically exploded. Hard to believe from just a little B.B. I think the only way I'd do something like that now is if I had a big feed of what Bob's drinkin'. I've never tried (or ever heard of) Bundy, but maybe one day.....
Are we to understand Mom never found out? That’s my guess since you’re here to tell the tail. ;)

My buddy and I were shooting in a prairie dog town in Wyoming. I zeroed in on a pair of dogs doing the nasty at roughly 400 yards. As I was setting up to shoot when the male literally vaporized off the back of the female. My buddy had shot a split second before me! The female was left on all fours blinking and looking kinda bewildered. I did the right thing and center punched her bout two seconds after she lost her lover. We were laughing so hard we couldn’t shoot for fifteen minutes!

Are we to understand Mom never found out? That’s my guess since you’re here to tell the tail. ;)
Not until MANY years later! :E Laugh:
It sounds like @Timbo 's brother took a more direct approach when he was pissed at his mother with the good ol' low flying duck trick! LOL

My two oddest, a piebald whitetail doe with a .50 cal flintlock my grandfather built and two of my stepdads duck decoys with my 870 express 12 gauge ( when we stood up to shoot one duck circled low over the spread, I dumped the duck but in the process we noticed as time passed two decoys slowly sinking). I was between 14 and 16 for both. The piebald I have the full hide tanned. The decoy incident got me uninvited from further duck hunts.

Reading all these accounts reminded me of another odd shot from my past (like most of you, there are a number of such!).

Fall of '75 I was out wandering the wilds of Wisconsin with my Ruger No 1 45-70, loaded with round balls I cast from a Lee mould, over 15gr of Green Dot.

IMG_1848.jpg

A Mallard presents itself at about 100 yards. I center-punched it with the .457 RB and it dropped stone dead.

I would not do such a thing today...and do not advocate this sort of shot taking. I like to think I've grown up just a bit in the last 45 years! But this serves as a reminder to me that I WAS an idiot at one time and I need to actively avoid reverting back into one!!!

Reading all these accounts reminded me of another odd shot from my past (like most of you, there are a number of such!).

Fall of '75 I was out wandering the wilds of Wisconsin with my Ruger No 1 45-70, loaded with round balls I cast from a Lee mould, over 15gr of Green Dot.

View attachment 366897

A Mallard presents itself at about 100 yards. I center-punched it with the .457 RB and it dropped stone dead.

I would not do such a thing today...and do not advocate this sort of shot taking. I like to think I've grown up just a bit in the last 45 years! But this serves as a reminder to me that I WAS an idiot at one time and I need to actively avoid reverting back into one!!!
Did the same thing in my younger days. With my buddies once and there were some prairie chickens in a tree over 200 yards away. They bet I couldn't hit one with my 270. I took a rest and shot at the closest one. The farthest one behind him dropped. I bragged and claimed I even shot the farthest one.

Did the same thing in my younger days. With my buddies once and there were some prairie chickens in a tree over 200 yards away. They bet I couldn't hit one with my 270. I took a rest and shot at the closest one. The farthest one behind him dropped. I bragged and claimed I even shot the farthest one.

lol

Always best not to call those shots!

View attachment 366897

That story reminds me of when I was very young growing up in Wisconsin. My brother and I were probably about 5 and 6 years old trailing along squirrel hunting with our Dad. He carried a Remington Semi-automatic 22LR.
We were better than having a hunting dog. Two wired up little boys spotting and chasing squirrels up and around trees providing a shot AND retrieving. What could be better?
As we were walking a trail through the brush, a Roughed Grouse blew out of the leaves next to Dad. He slung the gun up and, with three quick shots, downed the bird.
He swung around to us with this excited look and said "I got it!!". Well...of course we were oblivious to what had just happened...he just shot a bird out of the air with a 22. It would be years before I'd appreciate what he'd done. (I didn't say condone it, just appreciate it).

His excited look disappeared quickly as I said, "Well yeah... you have a gun". :Yawn:

My brother was I lot smarter than me. He always kept his mouth shut.
It also explains why on Christmas that year, my brother got a new bike and I got a spent 22 shell casing.:Shifty:

Took a couple of Monk Parakeets (really more of a small parrot than what Americans think of when we hear "parakeet") in Argentina..

Never really thought of myself as a parrot hunter prior to that.. but was told by the guide and the bird boys that they are a huge agricultural pest down there, and they build nests on electrical poles and telephone poles as well and are constantly knocking out service, etc..

Bagged a double with a 20 gauge Benelli montefeltro.. 1 round, two birds (sitting next to each other on a tree limb about 30 yards away)..

We brought them home and had the chef at the camp breast them out, batter, and fry them for us..

Honestly, it was the worst game meat I have ever eaten in my life lol... tasted like what I would imagine a deep fried dunlop tire tread would taste like... horrid...

1599674143166.png

Not African, but on an elk hunt I took out a noisy little vole at 75 yds with a .338 Win mag and a 250gr Speer Grand Slam. All that was left was a red wet spot. I think I should have used a 210 Nosler Pt for a little quicker expansion.

Armadillo, with an AR-7 survival rifle in .22LR. And no, I did not sample the fare.

A3A65397-F927-49DB-8D35-080DC5E63BF2.jpeg

Shot a turkey buzzard with a Taurus .40 S&W . Out the window of a 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. Buzzard was about 50 yards away chewing on a dead woodchuck. Definitely not legal lol
That’s why they say, “ Only in America”

Shot a turkey buzzard with a Taurus .40 S&W . Out the window of a 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. Buzzard was about 50 yards away chewing on a dead woodchuck. Definitely not legal lol
Awesome!!

I mean, yeah, totally illegal. What were you thinking young man?

Weaver (small yellow bird ) with a 338wm at about 85 meters. Shot the head clean off. Let’s just say it was a slow day at the shooting range!

Back before we were old enough to pull a trigger we used slingshots.

It was during those days that I shot a few weavers too. (blue one in photo below) If we killed them or broke a wing we would build a fire, cook and eat them on the spot. We thought we were pretty tough big game hunters. If we just knocked the wind out of them they would go into the aviary. Shot all kinds of birds, including doves, pigeons, Franklin, monitor Lizards, iguanas, snakes, bush baby’s or anything that moved. We were pretty deadly.

I never had the power to kill monkeys, guinea or ducks, With the slingshot although I have hit a number of them. Friends however killed a vervet monkey once

Second photo is a bush baby. Knocked the wind out of him. Thought he would be a neat pet. Mom didn't like him jumping and knocking things off the shelves. He was released back to his buddies.

1599693828696.jpeg
1599693966512.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.