Warthog Importation

RobFink

New member
Joined
Mar 4, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hello all, my wife and I are flying out in 2 days to the Eastern Cape to hunt with Game 4 Africa. When importing a warthog (finished shoulder or euro mount) to the US, does it have to go through USDA, or is that just if it's dip and pack? I would like to add one to my list just for something cool to hang in my office, but if it's going to add $$ and time to the clearing of my trophies, I would rather just skip the warthog.
 
Technically it should be ready to ship to your house, but the inspector can make whatever decision they choose. I’d reach out to the customs broker at port of entry you’ll be using and see what they say.
 
Hi RobFink, good luck with your hunt! I hope you guys have a blast. I had no issues getting mine back as a euro mount on a wood plaque. Other more experienced members could weigh in but I believe the SA taxidermist mentioned that having it on a wood plaque, rather than just the skull or dip and pack, removes the need for the USDA delay as it is considered a finished taxidermy product.
 
@DAK Good to know! Thank you Sir.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DAK
I've heard both ways.

But my importer has a USDA certified warehouse where inspections are done, so once mine cleard inspections it was shipped directly to my home.
 
Coppersmith's is your friend use them they can tell you everything you need to know.
Maybe. I use coppersmiths. I’ve never brought back completed taxidermy, but I generally only bring back tusks. Tusks only shouldn’t have any additional restrictions after dip and pack but sometimes they are allowed to go through sometimes they’ve been required to go to additional USDA facility.
 
It will be inspected on arrival and will be at the discretion of the inspector if it needs to go to a USDA facility (taxidermist). According to my importer the majority of swine and bovine (not all) end up going to a USDA facility.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,242
Members
169,985
Latest member
AdelaideAr
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top