warthog

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI NRA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Manitoba, Quebec, Sask., British Columbia, and over the US
I don't know if this has been posted or not but anyone planning an African trip with anyone under the age of 18 MUST have an original birth certificate for them. It almost cost us our whole safari.

Yes that's true. I'm sorry you missed the discussions here on AH about it, as it was discussed thoroughly. Sounds like it got worked out for you.

I don't know if this has been posted or not but anyone planning an African trip with anyone under the age of 18 MUST have an original birth certificate for them. It almost cost us our whole safari.

Oh, Sh*t!
I am hoping the "almost" is the key word there.

I called in some favors and got my sons certificate delivered to Atlanta the next day and luckily got all our flights to Zimbabwe rescheduled so only missed one day of hunting. Heard of others getting all the way to Joburg and denied entry and had to take next flight back. Sorry I missed the info on here.

I called in some favors and got my sons certificate delivered to Atlanta the next day and luckily got all our flights to Zimbabwe rescheduled so only missed one day of hunting. Heard of others getting all the way to Joburg and denied entry and had to take next flight back. Sorry I missed the info on here.

Well I'm glad it worked out, looking forward to your hunt report!

Sorry you missed it too.
Glad you got it done though.

That planning guide on AH is priceless.

Does anyone have examples of the required letters for when only one parent is traveling with their kids?

Does anyone have examples of the required letters for when only one parent is traveling with their kids?

I'm pretty certain I have the one I had done on my computer at home. Pretty busy at work and football for the kids has already started, so I may forget about this thread by the time I get home tonight. If you don't see another post from me on this, please remind me.

Grady,

Go here: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/southafrica/1030603/stuartfr/Affidavit of consent-letter-eng PDF.pdf

Print this document off and fill it out with your wife's name and info at the top. Check the box for "This child has my consent to travel with" just above the "Accompanying Person" line. I think the rest is self explanatory. Have this stamped and signed by a notary public.

I used this exact form. I also took with me of course my son's original birth certificate. It has the State of Arizona stamp on it. I also had copies of my wife's passport and driver's license. The copy of the driver's license has our address which then serves as a backup to this affidavit. The passport copy, well I guess it's just another backup document to the rest. Basically I did what I could to overwhelm the passport officer with proof that this was all okay.

Now, I arrived in RSA prior to June 1st and so I was technically exempt from the new regulations. And sure enough nobody asked for these documents when I entered the country. Upon exit, I was asked if I knew about the new regs and of course I answered yes and offered to show the lady my documentation. She hesitated and asked when we arrived and I think she was then going to just stamp our passports and waive us through. But since I had the paperwork at my fingertips she decided to go ahead and look at it. A quick glance and she just kind of chuckled and sent us on our way. So I guess I was successful in as I say overwhelming her that everything was on the up and up.

I think if you follow what I did you won't have any issues.

Attachments

• Affidavit of consent-letter-eng PDF.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 186
@AfricaHunting.com, since this issue seems to keep coming up, perhaps it's worth making a sticky out of this thread. In this particular reply is an embedded PDF of the document I linked to in the previous reply.

Attachments

• Affidavit of consent-letter-eng PDF.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 200
Thanks. I will be taking my two daughters on the spring on a hunt.

The email with my checkin confirmation with BA has this warning about "new paperwork being required" prominently displayed.

Sadly, the checkin email shows up 24 hours before take off.
Very helpful!:rolleyes:

@AfricaHunting.com, since this issue seems to keep coming up, perhaps it's worth making a sticky out of this thread. In this particular reply is an embedded PDF of the document I linked to in the previous reply.
Done. Thanks for the form and info Phil!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevieMiel

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob