New South African Regulations for Traveling With Children

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by James.Grage, Jun 9, 2014.

1. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
    New South African regulations for traveling with children

06. June 2014

New South African regulations for traveling with children

We had numerous phone calls from concerned parents who had questions in regards of the new rules of traveling with children.

Please find the information as stated in the new South African immigration regulations:

Regulation 6:

(12)(a) Where parents are travelling with a child, such parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate of the child reflecting the particulars of the parents of the child.
    (b) In the case of one parent travelling with a child, he or she must produce an unabridged birth certificate and-
    (i) consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent registered as a parent on the birth certificate of the child authorising him or her to enter into or depart from the Republic with the child he or she is travelling with;
    (ii) a court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child; or
    (iii) where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate;

Provided that the Director-General may, where the parents of the child are both deceased and the child is travelling with a relative or another person related to him or her or his or her parents, approve such a person to enter into or depart from the Republic with such a child.

(c) Where a person is travelling with a child who is not his or her biological child, he or she must produce-
    (i) a copy of the unabridged birth certificate of the child;
    (ii) an affidavit from the parents or legal guardian of the child confirming that he or she has permission to travel with the child;
    (iii) copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child; and
    (iv) the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child, Provided that the Director-General may, where the parents of the child are both deceased and the child is travelling with a relative or another person related to him or her or his or her parents, approve such a person to enter into or depart from the Republic with such a child.

(d) Any unaccompanied minor shall produce to the immigration officer-
    (i) proof of consent from one of or both his or her parents or legal guardian, as the case may be, in the form of a letter or affidavit for the child to travel into or depart from the Republic: Provided that in the case where one parent provides proof of consent, that parent must also provide a copy of a court order issued to him or her in terms of which he or she has been granted full parental responsibilities and rights in respect of
    the child;
    (ii) a letter from the person who is to receive the child in the Republic, containing his or her residential address and contact details in the Republic where the child will be residing;
    (iii) a copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in the Republic; and (iv) the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.
    AfricaHunting.com likes this.
  2. Lpart

Lpart AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB
    Hunted:
    How is child defined? Teenagers?
  3. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
    I would take child as anyone younger than 18.
  4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
  5. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Statement from SATSA regarding new immigration regulations

There has been a lot of consternation regarding new regulations promulgated by the South African Department of Home Affairs regarding the need for children travelling with adults to be in possession of original unabridged birth certificates.

SATSA has been actively engaging with our new Minister of Tourism Derek Hanekom, who in turn has been in discussions with his cabinet colleagues. It is with some sense of relief that the Department of Home Affairs issued a statement last night that the regulations will now only become effective from 1 October 2014. Please see the Department of Home Affairs website here.

"I would like to assure members that SATSA will continue to oppose draconian legislation that impedes the tourism potential to South Africa," says SATSA CEO David Frost. "As an organisation we support the need for proper regulations with respect to incoming tourism, but the heavy-handed and non-consultative approach exhibited by the Department of Home Affairs is to be strongly countered."

Frost furthers: "This extends to the imposition of biometric visa requiring applicants to appear in person, which will severely impact growing markets such as India and China. Furthermore, we will work with our fellow associations BASA, ASATSA and Fair Trade in Tourism, through the auspices of the Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA), and our Ministry of Tourism, to seek a more structured engagement with the Department of Home Affairs, where we can assert a tourism agenda in these deliberations."
  6. Code4

Code4 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.
    No doubt to try and stop child trafficking ? Would this be a valid assumption ? Definantly an over reaction and punitive.
  7. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Good grief! Wot next I arsks, wot next?? First I have heard of this. We will be long back by then, but next time we'll have to abide I suppose, though its silly I think. I had to show the US passport agency the boys BC to get the passport he will be traveling on.:confused:
  8. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    So next year when I take my then 12 year old, I will need:

1) Passport
    2) Original birth certificate

And

3) An affidavit from his mom that consents to us being there.

What exactly does that mean? Will a letter signed by his mom suffice? Need it be notarized?